Register or Sign In to remove these ads
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Nick

Earned or unearned

Question

As I understand it, if the catcher leaves the catcher's box before the pitcher delivers the pitch (as when giving an intentional walk), the pitcher shall be charged with a balk (with runners on base).

But if BR is awarded first base on a call of catcher's interference F2 is charged with an error unless of course the situation allows the offense to elect to accept the play.  

Does this mean in the first instance (catcher's balk) if the runner ultimately scores the run is scored as earned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question


Register or Sign In to remove these ads
  • 0

9.16 Earned Runs and Runs Allowed

An earned run is a run for which a pitcher is held accountable. In determining earned runs, the official scorer shall reconstruct the inning without the errors (which exclude catcher’s interference) and passed balls, giving the benefit of the doubt always to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by runners had there been errorless play. For the purpose of determining earned runs, an intentional base on balls, regardless of the circumstances, shall be construed in exactly the same manner as any other base on balls.

(a)   The official scorer shall charge an earned run against a pitcher every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder’s choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks or wild pitches (including a wild pitch on third strike that permits a batter to reach first base) before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, Guest Nick said:

As I understand it, if the catcher leaves the catcher's box before the pitcher delivers the pitch (as when giving an intentional walk), the pitcher shall be charged with a balk (with runners on base).

 

It can only happen on an IBB. Only on an IBB  That said - do not ever call it. Ever, Like never call it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

It can only happen on an IBB. Only on an IBB  That said - do not ever call it. Ever, Like never call it

There is a case where it should be called but I doubt we would ever see it in this day and age. Speedy R2, good hitting Batter. So defense wants to put him on and set up a possible force. To protect against R2 stealing 3B catcher runs up 3B line to receive pitch at or near 3B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
22 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

There is a case where it should be called but I doubt we would ever see it in this day and age. Speedy R2, good hitting Batter. So defense wants to put him on and set up a possible force. To protect against R2 stealing 3B catcher runs up 3B line to receive pitch at or near 3B. 

That's not a pitch. A pitch is delivered to the batter - not 3B.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

That's not a pitch. A pitch is delivered to the batter - not 3B.  

An occurrence like that was probably the impetus for the rule addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0