Joe West and Nelson Cruz pic at the All-Star Game

JHSump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2443 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I see this was discussed on Gil's Close Call blog, but I think it needs a separate thread! IMO, this was the best event during what looked like awfully fun game. It's nice to see baseball played like a *game*.

There are many articles about the pic event, but here is one from the MLB site:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/07/11/241792582/nelson-cruz-gets-his-photo-taken-with-joe-west-by-yadier-molina----in-the-all-star-game

I also liked what Cruz said Joe West said, "...no, what are you doing, get out of here...". The result was a nice pic.

West and Cruz.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Am I seeing something that isn't there, or in the video, is Yadi's mitt held on by a strap??

I believe you are correct! nice.

On a completely unrelated note, did you see that West took his mask off with his right hand right before the picture.

This answers the question I had:

After the photo-op, Cruz slid his phone into his back pocket. Wouldn't that be a distraction? Not so, he explained: 

"It was good. I had it on silent, so if anyone called me..."

What about sliding into a base? Cruz had that covered as well:

"I slide on my right side always, so it was safe. And I have insurance, too."

15 hours ago, stl_ump said:

I believe you are correct! nice.

On a completely unrelated note, did you see that West took his mask off with his right hand right before the picture.

I can think of 2 reasons why he did this.  1), he didn't want to hit Cruz with it..............2) He's got some much damn seniority, he doesn't give a $#!T! 

Seriously, who is going to tell him in a post game, "Joe, you removed your mask with the incorrect hand for the photo op".....????

That being said.. how are some of these guys able continue to be MLB Umpires?  You've seen how they move, or should I say don't move.  The lack of mobility of some of these guys is pretty surprising.  Once you become an MLB umpire do you have life time tenure?

On 7/13/2017 at 8:24 AM, stl_ump said:

That being said.. how are some of these guys able continue to be MLB Umpires?  You've seen how they move, or should I say don't move.  The lack of mobility of some of these guys is pretty surprising.  Once you become an MLB umpire do you have life time tenure?

Having 4 umpires helps. Has anyone ever been fired once they secure a full time contract? 

12 minutes ago, LittleBlue said:

Brian Runge?

https://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/2/4488520/the-early-end-of-brian-runges-career 

"The two people said Runge failed at least one drug test, then reached an agreement so he could remain on the umpire roster. When he failed to comply with those terms, he was released." 

1 hour ago, stl_ump said:

Runge's was drug related.  How about just physically unable to perform?  Don't they have any standards?

I believe both Larry young and Chuck meriwether had mobility issues with their knees and retired and West has mentioned his knees must hold up if he is to catch klem. jerry Dale, that those Tennessee guys on here should know about, was let go due to his knees if you search umpire Jerry dale.

So we got guys who retired because of health and one guy back in '85 who was fired for lack of mobility.  Still doesn't seem like getting around is a major criteria for continuing to umpire.

But as STK004 said, with 4 guys it's not as important on a 2 or 3 man system.

4 hours ago, stl_ump said:

So we got guys who retired because of health and one guy back in '85 who was fired for lack of mobility.  Still doesn't seem like getting around is a major criteria for continuing to umpire.

But as STK004 said, with 4 guys it's not as important on a 2 or 3 man system.

I am fine with any type of foot speed (just break down that mobility to the real term-foot speed) requirements that you would like to set up, as long as that foot speed test applies to all umpires everywhere who accept money for their services. Although a 4 man gives more leeway for reduced foot speed, I would be happy with everyone everywhere getting fired for failure to meet whatever foot speed times are deemed necessary. Just make it across all levels where money is paid.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Am I seeing something that isn't there, or in the video, is Yadi's mitt held on by a strap??

Yes... he has a Velcro strap that also doubles as a wrist guard that is laced onto the mitt.