Register or Sign In to remove these ads
VolUmp

Required Shock absorbers on catcher's masks?

VolUmp    212

Many moons ago, I used to use an All Star mask that I bought for about 70 bucks, until I took a foul ball straight to the mask and suffered a concussion.

The next day, I bought two Wilson masks with four shock absorbers for $200 each (one for my then umpiring son), and although I've had a few dings and headaches, I've never suffered even a mild concussion since.

If FED wants to get serious about preventing head injuries, they have to do something about upgrading the minimum requirement of a catcher's mask/helmet combination, and make the schools pay for it… Or at least supplement the cost of it. I see catchers every game wearing the very same helmet I was wearing when I suffered my concussion. 

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
MadMax    1,215

@VolUmp, there are topics and threads that you make some very valid points, and while I (and others) may agree on a few, and disagree on most, I can at least chalk it up to civil discourse.

This is not one of those topics.

I'm posting this now, because as several other U-E members are likely suspecting, I'm about to write an exhaustive series of posts that will address and refute everything you've presented above. I just don't have the time, as much as I'd like to, type all of it right now.

Strap in, it's about to get real.

• Like 3

VolUmp    212
2 hours ago, MadMax said:

and while I (and others) may agree on a few, and disagree on most

Yo, MadMax, I think this is a ridiculous phrase from your statement above. I don't think anybody on this forum disagrees with more of what I say than agrees ... even if that difference is 51%-49%.

I shall respectfully await your dissertation.

Stk004    599
4 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Yo, MadMax, I think this is a ridiculous phrase from your statement above. I don't think anybody on this forum disagrees with more of what I say than agrees ... even if that difference is 51%-49%.

I shall respectfully await your dissertation.

Somebody want to make a poll? Please? 

• Like 2

VolUmp    212
7 hours ago, MadMax said:

Strap in, it's about to get real.

I've been shaking in my b-b-boots and experiencing daymares for s-s-s-s-seven whole hours now and I haven't seen stuff get "real."  I'm just ever so slightly disappointed. 

ElkOil    694
1 hour ago, VolUmp said:

I've been shaking in my b-b-boots and experiencing daymares for s-s-s-s-seven whole hours now and I haven't seen stuff get "real."  I'm just ever so slightly disappointed. 

So much for "respectfully awaiting."

• Like 1

Stk004    599
42 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

50 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Respect has limits.

A whole 10 hours worth of limits. Very impressive. 

KenBAZ    377

@MadMax, many of us a waiting to hear what you have to say about the state of catchers' gear. I know how you feel about the one piece helmets. As a user of HSMs with shock absorbers I've invested with the idea that it is in fact safer. And I do feel that throat guards should be mandatory after a HS kid almost choked to death in a game I did a few years ago. However, I don't think it's worth personalizing your response to this topic.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

VolUmp    212
8 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

However, I don't think it's worth personalizing your response to this topic.

How much could he really have to say?  He's said a whole lot of "nothing" yet. 

Thunderheads    2,360
29 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

Now THAT is funny ..... @MadMax says a lot of nothing .... that's a good one! :D ........ :no: 

• Like 2

Tksjewelry    370

Hey bud, you're coming off as deliberately obtuse and confrontational. Might think about that people have lives outside of UE and aren't running from you.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Matt    1,194
45 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

Hey bud, you're coming off as deliberately obtuse and confrontational.

He's not coming off that way...he is that way.

• Like 5

VolUmp    212
29 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's not coming off that way...he is that way.

Wow. Tough Room …

BT_Blue    820

So, I remember when the Shock helmets first came out and saw a couple catchers using them. They always had busted or non working springs from either being tossed around, not being packed with the loving care we pack our gear with (like some teenager would care enough about it... especially if it doesn't belong to them), or from just getting dirt and grime in them jamming them up.

Now... only Force3  (with a far superior spring system than Wilson ever had) is the only company offering a spring loaded mask. Not even Wilson is offering one any more. 

• Like 1

Tksjewelry    370
So, I remember when the Shock helmets first came out and saw a couple catchers using them. They always had busted or non working springs from either being tossed around, not being packed with the loving care we pack our gear with (like some teenager would care enough about it... especially if it doesn't belong to them), or from just getting dirt and grime in them jamming them up.
Now... only Force3  (with a far superior spring system than Wilson ever had) is the only company offering a spring loaded mask. Not even Wilson is offering one any more. 

What!? Wilson got rid of the shock 2!? Damn, I'm gonna have to buy a backup quick. I love mine but the springs are starting to wear down since my local umpires are constantly borrowing it so it's seen a lot of ball games.

BT_Blue    820
1 minute ago, Tksjewelry said:

What!? Wilson got rid of the shock 2!? Damn, I'm gonna have to buy a backup quick. I love mine but the springs are starting to wear down since my local umpires are constantly borrowing it so it's seen a lot of ball games.

Yeh... it's been a known thing on here for, best guess, almost a year. You can see the new Wilson helmets during the CWS. Pretty sure it was @MadMax (shocker I know) that pointed out that they look a whole heck of a lot like the All Star helmets.

There seems to be a bunch around. So finding them right now shouldn't be to hard. It isn't like the Reebok plate shoes that just disappeared once they stopped making them.

Mudisfun    398

I have no additional information on this but I heard yesterday:

MLB is going to require new or non using umpires to to go only with traditional  masks... other than the current crop of users who use the HSM who will be grandfathered in and may continue utilizing them... I trust the source but have no other corroboration. 

• Like 1

LittleBlue    107
49 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

MLB is going to require new or non using umpires to to go only with traditional  masks... other than the current crop of users who use the HSM who will be grandfathered in and may continue utilizing them... I trust the source but have no other corroboration. 

Why would this be the case? So they're not going to let a guy work in MLB because he wears a bucket? Unless they know more than us, it seems odd that they would require that. 

ElkOil    694
1 hour ago, Mudisfun said:

MLB better lawyer up if this is true. Although, I can't believe the umpire's union would allow it to happen.

MadMax    1,215
43 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

MLB better lawyer up if this is true. Although, I can't believe the umpire's union would allow it to happen.

This is likely tied to the discontinuation of the Wilson Shock FX, as the new Wilson ProStock HSM is not, in any way shape or form, suitable for umpires. There is a distinct possibility this is "one last gasp" by Wilson, their "all-in" moment, to keep Force3 and All-Star (backed by UnderArmour) out of "the catbird seat" with MLB Umpires. Sure, the Gibsons and Cederstroms will still use their HSMs (of their choosing, as Gibson uses an All-Star), but Wilson is probably scared witless that all these new umpires in the AA and AAA ranks will come onto the scene wearing non-Wilson masks.

Such an ironic twist, because it was just two years ago that it was decreed in the AA and AAA ranks that they should use HSMs. The MLBU's Health & Safety Umpire (name withheld) was traveling around, scaring us off Titanium masks (confusing most of us, by holding up a known hollow steel mask while saying so), and praising the Wilson Shock FX as the mask solution to have! Oh how the tune has changed, once Wilson sinks a healthy sum into bringing Aluminum to market and has been nearly driven out of the HSM battle!

• Like 1