Watching Vanover Work, 7/9/17, takeaways

MadMax
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2451 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So after Fairchild and Estabrook did plate duty the previous two days (and revealed that @Razzer's harness is needed by the Big League guys more than ever), the crew chief, Larry Vanover steps behind the plate for the rubber match between the Brewers and Yankees.

First, we'll get the obligatory Riddell Power Mask sighting notice out of the way... Yo @Thunderheads! Vanover's got a Riddell Power Mask! Oh, and @BT_Blue, he's got one of those Beaver-tail TG's too.

Second, Vanover does something rather unique, and likely inadvisable (to developing umpires) when crowded in the slot. With Orlando Arcia up to bat (RHB) and F2 Gary Sanchez (6'2", 230) setting up inside, Vanover had an almost nonexistent slot, so switched his stance to position himself off Sanchez's right shoulder, getting nearly as low as Sanchez such that his head was approximately as high as the catcher's head.

Ooo! Bonus! (I'm watching the game while typing this)... We have a HR Review! Yup! That ball off Headley's bat does in fact arc in front of the foul pole, thus it is foul!!! 

Whew! That was close...

Third, and the motive as to why I wrote this in the first place... Vanover does something that I think more and more umpires should do. Most U-E veterans know and practice this, but this is advice for novice and developing umpires, to encourage them when they run across FB trolls and partners who criticize them for doing this... Call Balls. Despite stadium crowd noise, and with a directional microphone tuned just enough to amplify ball-in-glove, bat-on-ball, and audible calls, you can clearly hear Vanover call Balls when the pitch is at least near the strike zone. There isn't any additional embellishment, there isn't any gesturing, just a definite call of "Ball!". 

Edited by MadMax
Jeff corrected me on the mask type
  • Like 4

On 7/9/2017 at 4:02 PM, MadMax said:

Third and the motive as to why I wrote this in the first place... Vanover does something that I think more and more umpires should do. Most U-E veterans know and practice this, but this is advice for novice and developing umpires, to encourage them when they run across FB trolls and partners who criticize them for doing this... Call Balls. Despite stadium crowd noise, and with a directional microphone tuned just enough to amplify ball-in-glove, bat-on-ball, and audible calls, you can clearly hear Vanover call Balls when the pitch is at least near the strike zone. There isn't any additional embellishment, there isn't any gesturing, just a definite call of "Ball!". 

I call every pitch...ball or strike.  However, I prefer to call strikes.  :P

• 3 weeks later...

He had the plate this past Sunday night (LA-SFG) and was so freaking loud. I rooted for the players to swing at anything close so I didn't hear "Haih!" so loudly. It was annoying. I'm sure a lot of it was the field mic, but geez. I noticed he said ball rather loudly too - probably only like 40% as loud as strike calls, but you could hear it a lot.