Stealing and foul ball

Guest Cody
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2479 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Cody

Gentlemen,

11 yr old baseball pitcher in windup runner on first runner steals and reaches second before pitcher can deliver the pitch. The pitch is then fouled of by the batter. Return the runner to first or he stays on second?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Gentlemen,
11 yr old baseball pitcher in windup runner on first runner steals and reaches second before pitcher can deliver the pitch. The pitch is then fouled of by the batter. Return the runner to first or he stays on second?

The runner must acquire the next base before the pitcher begins his motion to deliver. If the runner was a step from 2B and the pitcher started his windup motion, the runner would return to 1B on a foul ball.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If the runner reached 2nd before the pitcher started his motion he gets to stay there. I am assuming that you are saying that the runner got to 2nd before the pitch left the pitcher's hand, that isn't the actual standard for time of pitch.

Guest Cody
18 minutes ago, pnewton said:

If the runner reached 2nd before the pitcher started his motion he gets to stay there. I am assuming that you are saying that the runner got to 2nd before the pitch left the pitcher's hand, that isn't the actual standard for time of pitch.

Okay follow up question Does toeing the rubber count as starting the motion? The reason I ask is I thought I read something along the lines of once the pitcher has toed the rubber everything after that is a continuous play until time is called 

20 minutes ago, Guest Cody said:

Okay follow up question Does toeing the rubber count as starting the motion? The reason I ask is I thought I read something along the lines of once the pitcher has toed the rubber everything after that is a continuous play until time is called 

No, starting the pitching motion is starting the pitching motion, because a pitcher can step off the rubber and/or pick off a runner before starting the delivery of a pitch.  This also applies to a caught fly ball - if the runner acquires second before the pitcher starts delivery and the batter hits a fly ball the runner only has to tag up to second base (saw this is a 16U game last year).

13 minutes ago, Guest Cody said:

No. Starting the motion is whenever the pitcher does an act that commits him to pitch.

"The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration."

"After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption."