Jump to content
Gil

Angel Hernandez Sues MLB for Racial Discrimination

Recommended Posts

Umpire Angel Hernandez filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball alleging racial discrimination, seeking back pay and unspecified compensatory damages, according to a Complaint filed by Hernandez in United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Western Division, and obtained...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

The interesting part of all this could be when motions start getting filed (like a motion to dismiss, motion for summary judgment, etc.) and the attorneys attach/file exhibits in support of these motions.  Those exhibits could pull a portion of the proverbial curtain back and let us mere mortals catch a glimpse of how MLB umpiring works in the front office.  Sort of like the way a lot of my friends who are pro wrestling fans have been loving all the exhibits attached to motions filed in the "concussion lawsuit" against the WWE over the last six months...A lot of behind-the-scenes stuff.

Regardless about what you think about the merits of the Complaint, this could be very interesting for those who like to follow/analyze MLB umpiring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lawump said:

The interesting part of all this could be when motions start getting filed (like a motion to dismiss, motion for summary judgment, etc.) and the attorneys attach/file exhibits in support of these motions.  Those exhibits could pull a portion of the proverbial curtain back and let us mere mortals catch a glimpse of how MLB umpiring works in the front office.  Sort of like the way a lot of my friends who are pro wrestling fans have been loving all the exhibits attached to motions filed in the "concussion lawsuit" against the WWE over the last six months...A lot of behind-the-scenes stuff.

Regardless about what you think about the merits of the Complaint, this could be very interesting for those who like to follow/analyze MLB umpiring.

all right

After reading some interesting comments in Gils area and also a comment (I believe in the Collegiate area or maybe somewhere else on this sight in the last month) gets into your end of the Collegiate Business lawump.

What is "politics" in umpiring. Now remember my log on, I wouldn't know. I thought you just umpire and the umpires who do the best get the call for all special events like Conference Tournaments, Regionals, Super Regionals, CWS at your level and then the same for MLB.

Now, of course I understand some situational happenings where they might want to get new (less experienced in special events) umpires some on field experience for the special events and maybe hold back for a year on a rotating basis (just a hypothesis over the years) some special event experienced umpires.

Or and out an out hire like my cousin Road Runner into umpiring as a nepotism situation.

But, on whole, what are politics when it comes to umpiring. Does it mean that everyone who is the best gets skipped over because they worked 50 games but 8 guys on the staff gave the higher ups more free dates to work and worked 65 games so they get rewarded because they helped out more, not because they are better? And no, a guy who only works 3 games one year due to injuries but is the Doug Harvey of umpires and everyone knows it, probably should not get all the gravy stuff at the end, even though he did not ask for his injury and the fact he could only physically do 3 games all year, but is now completely healthy at the end (I don't know, maybe he should get them since it wasn't his fault). Does it mean some guys bought the higher ups cars, boats, planes. Does it mean some guys mowed the grass, washed the cars, did the laundry.

do you go to the papers and talk about what a great guy lawump is and he bought me a beer one time and then the next thing I know I am in a CWS.

What is it with the "politics" angle. How do you "politic" in umpiring. Just what is politics?  how do you do politics?

Those who don't know how deserve to be told how to politic so they have the same opportunities as those who have been told how to politic and level the playing field. Just like giving clinics on rules, mechanics, field positioning, everyone should be given the same instruction on how to do politics, with all the examples of how to play the game so to speak.

 

As to Gil's sitch in MLB. Isn't there a movie called 42 that should never have had to be made. Many things seem to still be in order all over the world concerning things that never should have been to start with, and still seem to be out there to this day. Or maybe we are all blind in one eye and cannot see out the other.

Time for the parade lawump, Get over there to Lexington County and see Chandler Durham and Adam Pearce if they are also working tonight, I know they jump around a lot.

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no power (political or otherwise) in collegiate baseball.  Just for the record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lawump said:

I have no power (political or otherwise) in collegiate baseball.  Just for the record.

correct. I would never out and out say that you do, just for the record.

 

But, under the Collegiate Area a comment was made. There are "politics" involved.

So, let's get a dissertation with examples of the "politics" involved in umpiring.

Why is the term used and what does it mean in umpiring with examples.

Then, everyone can do "politics" and level the playing field.

Or, maybe this is a much simpler way to go about the situation. What have you heard (or maybe I should use the term from an exchange involving Nathan Fallion and Stana Katic to someone they were questioning as a suspect that used the term "hypothetically speaking" to examples he would use about a situation(s)), that the word "politics" mean in umpiring and give examples.

Of course since you are not the only Collegiate Umpire, maybe others can chime in with "what they have heard "politics" are", and of course this just comes under the term of "hearsay" or kind of like a he said she said situation, or whisper down the lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
correct. I would never out and out say that you do, just for the record.
 
But, under the Collegiate Area a comment was made. There are "politics" involved.
So, let's get a dissertation with examples of the "politics" involved in umpiring.
Why is the term used and what does it mean in umpiring with examples.
Then, everyone can do "politics" and level the playing field.
Or, maybe this is a much simpler way to go about the situation. What have you heard that the word "politics" mean in umpiring and give examples.
Of course since you are not the only Collegiate Umpire, maybe others can chime in with "what they have heard "politics" are", and of course this just comes under the term of "hearsay" or kind of like a he said she said situation, or whisper down the lane.

You can be the best umpire in the world... But if no assigner in the world likes you, then you're S.O.L.

Politics...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For consideration:

Umpire Replay Review Leaderboard
Umpire Accuracy in Replay Reviews (Ranked by Review Affirmation Percentage [RAP])

RAP Umpire Rank
44.4%               Hernandez, Angel               54

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

For consideration:

Umpire Replay Review Leaderboard
Umpire Accuracy in Replay Reviews (Ranked by Review Affirmation Percentage [RAP])

RAP Umpire Rank
44.4%               Hernandez, Angel               54

 

 

great stats if we are now using them and this is what the statistics are for.

but, if we are using stats for consideration, why did so many (Barksdale, Fairchild, Knight, Cuzzi, Randazzo, Emmel, Miller, Carapazza, Hudson, Hirschbeck, Tichenor, Guccione, Gonzalez in the DS,--Cedarstrom, Cooper, Hernandez, Barrett, Nauert, Gorman, Diaz, Wolf, Reynolds in the LCS,--and Randazzo, Hirschbeck, Guccione, Hudson, in the WS,--on the 2016 year end ranking statistics (bottom 38, not including call ups on below list, of the 76 person staff), come under consideration and were given post season special event's in 2016 (same source as above post)-

Especially the World Series with 4 on the list if we are keeping statistics for consideration.

2016 Season ending

RAP        Umpire            Rank

47.8% Randazzo, Tony 42
47.4% Nauert, Paul 43
47.4% Hirschbeck, John 43
46.2% Guccione, Chris 45
45.8% Emmel, Paul 46
45.5% Reynolds, Jim 47
45.5% Miller, Bill 47
45.5% Tumpane, John 47
45.0% Joyce, Jim 50
45.0% Blakney, Ryan 50
44.4% Carlson, Mark 52
44.4% Cederstrom, Gary 52
44.4% Barry, Scott 52
43.8% Cooper, Eric 55
43.8% Carapazza, Vic 55
43.8% Barksdale, Lance 55
43.3% Timmons, Tim 58
42.9% Foster, Marty 59
42.9% Barrett, Lance 59
41.7% Wolf, Jim 61
41.7% Bucknor, CB 61
40.0% Hudson, Marvin 63
39.1% Ripperger, Mark 64
38.9% Hernandez, Angel 65
38.5% Knight, Brian 66
38.5% Drake, Rob 66
37.5% May, Ben 68
36.8% Scott, Dale 69
36.8% Fletcher, Andy 69
36.4% Gorman, Brian 71
33.3% Davis, Gerry 72
33.3% Fairchild, Chad 72
33.3% Lentz, Nic 72
33.3% Gonzalez, Manny 72
31.8% Morales, Gabe 76
30.8% Hoye, James 77
29.0% Iassogna, Dan 78
28.6% Davidson, Bob 79
26.7% Diaz, Laz 80
25.0% Meals, Jerry 81
25.0% Cuzzi, Phil 81
23.1% Tichenor, Todd 83
21.4% Basner, Toby 84
 
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dumbdumb.... you say politics, I call it branding. Your brand is not just what you put on the field.  So you want examples of how "politics" work in collegiate baseball here are some examples that I have seen.  First lets all remember that there is a sitting period for all CWS umpires currently.  So you can't just go to the CWS.  You must do a certain amount of games each year for a conference.  The conference coordinator must then select you to post season.  The NCAA national committee and advisors must then select you to work a regional.  Most of the guys working regionals have also worked multiple conference tournaments before that.  Next once you've worked multiple regionals you can be placed to a super regional.  You must work at least 2 supers in order to be considered for the CWS.

Ok.. now you've made it to the CWS! if an umpire went in 2017 than he is not eligible to go again until 2020 at the earliest.  That is the sitting period in college D1 baseball.

Ok, with that established now lets look at branding to get there.  First you need to be able to work on the field at a high level for multiple years and be trusted by your coordinator to get to step 1. At this level everyone can work! Ball, strike, safe, out and judgement should all be on point.  It comes down to handling people.

That also means, going to the NCAA meeting each year, having a clean background check each year, passing your test each year.  Having high coaches, CC, U1 and evaluators scores.  You need to be a good crew member and have someone above you speak for you.  This comes with networking and not just showing and going to a given game or series.  It means traveling as a crew, picking up the rental car, getting rooms blocked for the crew if your the CC or designated to do so.  It means having the means and the knowledge to make all of these arrangements seemlessly.  If you don't think word gets around that your a last minute louie or a cheap SOB then your wrong. 

You need to take care of your business on the field and lead men.  Which means not just looking out for #1 but understand that if your partner sinks than we all sink and will all most likely be in a NCAA video in January!  You need to umpire for TV and look good on TV doing it.  This is a lot of polish that comes with time.

The NCAA likes guys who give back and work at camps to help lower level umpires.  That mentor guys and evaluate and/or assign at a lower level b/c they can understand what the NCAA is trying to do and work very well with administration at the host institutions. 

Your uniform needs to be TV ready at all times, and you should take your health seriously.  I get tested for 4 of my D1 conferences every year and get a physical and body analysis done.

We have out of season meetings and networking conferences in September.  Those you can't just blow off. Have your arbiter and blocks good to go early.  Have sharing turned on all of your conference that you work.  Nothing worse then having a phone call from a coordinator with an opportunity and arbiter says your available but your not.

We have hudl that we have quizes on, as well as PoE that my coordinator wants us to watch and can see if we do so.

The NCAA has quizes and can see who is looking at them and in how timely of a manner.

You need to know who is your boss, who you want to be your boss (and they have to know you).  You need to know what that boss. Like's and dislikes in his umpires.  Who is your mentor/idol, who is directly in front of you, next to you and behind chasing you.  You need to know who your direct competition is at all times.  You need to see how those guys work and what is working for them and what is not. 

You need an up dated umpiring resume and references to give a coordinator on a moments notice. 

You need a game plan on how your going to navigate the to the next level.

All of these things can be learned from a great mentor and from going to a camp that allows you to network and start to build you brand.

No kissing babies or mowing lawns will help you.  Be the guy the coordinator wants to call, and knows your ready to go.

 

Just my $0.02 your mileage may very.  I hope this helps you or someone else out.  Best of luck!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:


You can be the best umpire in the world... But if no assigner in the world likes you, then you're S.O.L.

Politics...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

But, what is the word "politics" that keeps coming into play.

Does that mean I have to mow the assigner's yard. Do I laugh at the assigner's jokes. Do I wash the assigner's car, or even have to do the above for a CWS umpire to recommend me. Does everyone know that is what you have to do to be recommended. Is that what "politics" is?? since nobody is expounding on this term. Only select people are told you have to do the above to make the staff, but not everyone is told about that--i.e. "politics" or "collusion", or dirty pull if you want to call it that.

Just what is involved with the word politics so the field can be made level. Is politics the assigner telling just a choice few guys that he likes the umpire school strike call and not the point. So they go tell just a few guys trying to get games to make sure they do the umpire school strike. Maybe this is "politics" or maybe this is just dirty pull/ and an un-level playing field. But if everyone knows they have to call the umpire school strike, then everything is transparent/level playing field and you must decide whether you want to point and not work games or get rid of the point and work games but at least you know.

All I would care about as an assigner is if you can umpire. If you can umpire you work, if you cannot umpire you do not work. That is not "politics".

Or, is politics, mowing the lawn, laughing at jokes, washing the car. As long as everyone know they have to do this "politics" then the field is level and all the umpires can do this who want to work games. This would level the playing field.

So, just what is the word "politics" in umpiring. It continues to be used. Or, is there no such thing and it should not be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hckyosgood30 said:

dumbdumb.... you say politics, I call it branding. Your brand is not just what you put on the field.  So you want examples of how "politics" work in collegiate baseball here are some examples that I have seen.  First lets all remember that there is a sitting period for all CWS umpires currently.  So you can't just go to the CWS.  You must do a certain amount of games each year for a conference.  The conference coordinator must then select you to post season.  The NCAA national committee and advisors must then select you to work a regional.  Most of the guys working regionals have also worked multiple conference tournaments before that.  Next once you've worked multiple regionals you can be placed to a super regional.  You must work at least 2 supers in order to be considered for the CWS.

Ok.. now you've made it to the CWS! if an umpire went in 2017 than he is not eligible to go again until 2020 at the earliest.  That is the sitting period in college D1 baseball.

Ok, with that established now lets look at branding to get there.  First you need to be able to work on the field at a high level for multiple years and be trusted by your coordinator to get to step 1. At this level everyone can work! Ball, strike, safe, out and judgement should all be on point.  It comes down to handling people.

That also means, going to the NCAA meeting each year, having a clean background check each year, passing your test each year.  Having high coaches, CC, U1 and evaluators scores.  You need to be a good crew member and have someone above you speak for you.  This comes with networking and not just showing and going to a given game or series.  It means traveling as a crew, picking up the rental car, getting rooms blocked for the crew if your the CC or designated to do so.  It means having the means and the knowledge to make all of these arrangements seemlessly.  If you don't think word gets around that your a last minute louie or a cheap SOB then your wrong. 

You need to take care of your business on the field and lead men.  Which means not just looking out for #1 but understand that if your partner sinks than we all sink and will all most likely be in a NCAA video in January!  You need to umpire for TV and look good on TV doing it.  This is a lot of polish that comes with time.

The NCAA likes guys who give back and work at camps to help lower level umpires.  That mentor guys and evaluate and/or assign at a lower level b/c they can understand what the NCAA is trying to do and work very well with administration at the host institutions. 

Your uniform needs to be TV ready at all times, and you should take your health seriously.  I get tested for 4 of my D1 conferences every year and get a physical and body analysis done.

We have out of season meetings and networking conferences in September.  Those you can't just blow off. Have your arbiter and blocks good to go early.  Have sharing turned on all of your conference that you work.  Nothing worse then having a phone call from a coordinator with an opportunity and arbiter says your available but your not.

We have hudl that we have quizes on, as well as PoE that my coordinator wants us to watch and can see if we do so.

The NCAA has quizes and can see who is looking at them and in how timely of a manner.

You need to know who is your boss, who you want to be your boss (and they have to know you).  Who is your mentor/idol, who is directly in front of you, next to you and behind chasing you.  You need to know who your direct competition is at all times.  You need to see how those guys work and what is working for them and what is not. 

You need an up dated umpiring resume and references to give a coordinator on a moments notice. 

You need a game plan on how your going to navigate the to the next level.

All of these things can be learned from a great mentor and from going to a camp that allows you to network and start to build you brand.

No kissing babies or mowing lawns will help you.  Be the guy the coordinator wants to call, and knows your ready to go.

 

Just my $0.02 your mileage may very.  I hope this helps you or someone else out.  Best of luck!

 

absolutely one of the greatest responses I have gotten. I do not see politics in play here if this is what one needs to do. But without this response, nobody would know.

do, you just feel threatened since you gave out the formula so to speak. You absolutely cannot be the only one to either know this formula, or to have figured it out for yourself.

What is wrong without this formula so to speak coming to light before now. Why did I have to ask??

Do you get in trouble for telling it like it is. I do not want that for you.

Thank you so much. Hopefully everyone realizes what is involved and can make their own decisions about whether the above work involved is worth it or not.

Or, are the people who do not want to do the "work" mentioned above, the ones calling this "work" "politics"???? they just want to throw on a uniform, call the game and go home. Nothing more, nothing less.

If that is what they call "politics" with what you just explained, let them go do something that I do not believe is physically possible to do and eat beans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not a secret and I will not get in trouble for it.  I run a camp for collegiate umpires and we go over this on night one!  Alot of guys want the status of being a D1 umpire but have no idea what goes into it.  It's like FB they see 1% of what we do and judge off of that.  They don't see us in the gym, in the rule book, networking, training, organizing camps.  On the phone with our mentors/up and comers.  The time away from our family and friends.  The time spent on the computer getting things organized and done correctly.  Doing the details and having talent and availability is the first and biggest thing.  But once you do that then the real work begins.  That is when you start to brand.  Without a product and packaging you don't have a brand.  You can't go to a camp 1 time.  You can't make friends in a day.  You have to repeat the process over and over and hone your craft on and off the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But, what is the word "politics" that keeps coming into play.
Does that mean I have to mow the assigner's yard. Do I laugh at the assigner's jokes. Do I wash the assigner's car, or even have to do the above for a CWS umpire to recommend me. Does everyone know that is what you have to do to be recommended. Is that what "politics" is?? since nobody is expounding on this term. Only select people are told you have to do the above to make the staff, but not everyone is told about that--i.e. "politics" or "collusion", or dirty pull if you want to call it that.
Just what is involved with the word politics so the field can be made level. Is politics the assigner telling just a choice few guys that he likes the umpire school strike call and not the point. So they go tell just a few guys trying to get games to make sure they do the umpire school strike. Maybe this is "politics" or maybe this is just dirty pull/ and an un-level playing field. But if everyone knows they have to call the umpire school strike, then everything is transparent/level playing field and you must decide whether you want to point and not work games or get rid of the point and work games but at least you know.
All I would care about as an assigner is if you can umpire. If you can umpire you work, if you cannot umpire you do not work. That is not "politics".
Or, is politics, mowing the lawn, laughing at jokes, washing the car. As long as everyone know they have to do this "politics" then the field is level and all the umpires can do this who want to work games. This would level the playing field.
So, just what is the word "politics" in umpiring. It continues to be used. Or, is there no such thing and it should not be used.

It's the same in umpiring as it is in every other job or social interaction. Those with the power to make the decision have the final say. Politics is who they are and what they want.

It's not to say that people don't advance because of they're advanced abilities... It's just a lot easier and more likely if one is able AND liked.

There's not much more of an explanation to it. It exists everywhere. It's a natural social tendency. In some places, more prevalent depending on who runs the shop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:


It's the same in umpiring as it is in every other job or social interaction. Those with the power to make the decision have the final say. Politics is who they are and what they want.

It's not to say that people don't advance because of they're advanced abilities... It's just a lot easier and more likely if one is able AND liked.

There's not much more of an explanation to it. It exists everywhere. It's a natural social tendency. In some places, more prevalent depending on who runs the shop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

but you are not defining and giving examples of "politics". Is that washing the boss's car and you get better/more games. Is it going to the press and saying what a great guy he is for all the world to see in the papers and you get better/more games. Is it giving him tickets to an NFL game rather than the family and you get better/more games. Is it laughing at his jokes when everyone else just roles their eyes.

What is "politics" in umpiring and give examples. I want the "politics" examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

but you are not defining and giving examples of "politics". Is that washing the boss's car and you get better/more games. Is it going to the press and saying what a great guy he is for all the world to see in the papers and you get better/more games. Is it giving him tickets to an NFL game rather than the family and you get better/more games. Is it laughing at his jokes when everyone else just roles their eyes.

What is "politics" in umpiring and give examples. I want the "politics" examples.

You gave examples already...they may or may not be plausible, but those are examples.  Politics in umping would be no different than politics in any workplace.   Have you never held a day job?  Have you never experienced politics in any job you've had?

I've experienced politics in EVERY job I've ever had, even working as a teenager part time at Toys R Us.   I've experience politics in EVERY volunteer role I've ever had, especially coaching.  And as a player.  

It can be subtle, it can be explicit.  It could be as simple as knowing someone for a longer time.  It's often about exposure - if a decision maker has seen one person more than another that could be enough, regardless of qualification (and it can work both ways).

You're thinking that politics is who you know vs who you blow.   That's true in some cases.

But sometimes it's as simple as who you know.  It doesn't even necessarily need ass kissing (which can work against you too).  Doesn't even need to mean friendship or favors, though it can.  Sometimes it's a simple as someone knowing who you are vs not knowing you at all.

It could be someone painting your reputation for you - in or against your favor.  Or someone else's reputation, regardless of your own.  You've never been anywhere that had a "golden boy"?  Someone who could do no wrong?

Politics is any scenario where a decision is not based solely on merit.  And there could be hundreds of reasons to make such a decision (and many of them legitimate).

Asking for a specific example of a specific scenario to where you find politics in umping is like asking for specifics on where you find immorality at a grocery store.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "politics" to me is who you know. I got into D1 collegiate softball in my third year of umpiring by catching the eye of another umpire, learning from him, and then when the assignor called, my name was at the top of his list. It was many hours of actual umpiring and learning. But as in life...it's not what you know; it's who you know.

Just my .02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, txump81 said:

I got into D1 collegiate softball in my third year of umpiring

:wow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:wow:

I got D1 baseball in my 4th year. All due to being in the right place at the right time. Had a JUCO camp that I attended and nailed an RLI, a batter interference and catchers interference all in a 2 inning span. The first college game I called was D1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Asking for a specific example of a specific scenario to where you find politics in umping is like asking for specifics on where you find immorality at a grocery store.  

It's everywhere, which is why I refuse to shop at Costco on the weekends.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, txump81 said:

I got into D1 collegiate softball in my third year of umpiring
 

9 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:


I got D1 baseball in my 4th year. All due to being in the right place at the right time. Had a JUCO camp that I attended and nailed an RLI, a batter interference and catchers interference all in a 2 inning span. The first college game I called was D1.
 

 

10 hours ago, Richvee said:

:wow:

Isn't some of this quicker than one can get out of those cadet programs in various areas of the country, and that is just to get a High School game and that is probably a really low level High School game between 2 of the worst teams at that.

Bet there would be a lot of "he plays politics", rather than he is just a good umpire, or as he said "right place right time" and had the right plays that he did correctly to help him shine.

Just so long as when they are older, they don't start with those war stories about how hard they worked for 10-15 years before they got the call.

Good stories to hear, that if you bring the goods, you are not stuck in purgatory for double digit years before you get a shot, and that it can happen rather quickly.

and if right place, right time at a camp is politics, and you show them the goods, oh well, it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a "pay to play" type of politics at play...at least on the NCAA level in my area of the country.  You want to be in a D.1 conference?...then you need to go to that conference's assignor's camp.  It doesn't matter how many times your non-conference assignor calls the conference coordinator/assignor and tells the conference assignor that you are a great umpire that needs to get on the conference staff.  The response from the conference assignor is going to be, "then he needs to come to my camp to be evaluated."  (About the only exception are recently released AAA umpires.)

I'm all for camps.  We all need to constantly strive to improve.  And this post is NOT coming from a place of bitterness.  I can afford to attend camps...many struggle with the cost to attend these camps.  I'm just annoyed when I see a guy have to pay $1,000 to $1,500 to attend two or three camps in the autumn as he tries to maximize his potential to make a D.1 conference staff.  These assignors are making so much money with their camps...that they have put in this "unwritten" requirement to attend THEIR camp in order to work in THEIR conferences.

Politics is also when one conference assignor tells his umpires that if you accept a game from another conference assignor (even if it is a non-conference game being assigned by that "other" conference assignor) you will not get any more games from that conference assignor.  There is a lawsuit just waiting to happen on the whole issue of "independent contractor" vs. "employee".  We are constantly told that we are independent contractors, yet the degree of control these assignors are exerting over us keeps increasing year after year.  At some point there is a line (I don't know exactly where that line is as I am not the court) that the assignors, with their politics, are going to unintentionally cross which converts us all from independent contractors to their employees (or the conference's/NCAA's employees). Here are just some of the things some assignors have done: (1) tell their umpires that they cannot accept games from certain other assignors; (2) tell umpires where they must get their "training" (i.e. their camp); (3) dictate where umpires must buy their uniforms (from the assignor who also happens to be a sporting goods salesman).  Some are getting close to that line.

The point of that last paragraph is to say: those things are politics, too.  You want to work in a D.1 conference...then you must do these things, too (in addition to doing all the things hckyosgood30 wrote about)...no matter how bad the stench is when you do them.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of reasons guys don't move up.  Where you live and the inability to run all over the country to go to camps, lack of a day job that provides for lots of flexibility in your schedule, kids, getting the wrong guy to not like you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lawump said:

There is also a "pay to play" type of politics at play...at least on the NCAA level in my area of the country.  You want to be in a D.1 conference?...then you need to go to that conference's assignor's camp.  It doesn't matter how many times your non-conference assignor calls the conference coordinator/assignor and tells the conference assignor that you are a great umpire that needs to get on the conference staff.  The response from the conference assignor is going to be, "then he needs to come to my camp to be evaluated."  (About the only exception are recently released AAA umpires.)

I'm all for camps.  We all need to constantly strive to improve.  And this post is NOT coming from a place of bitterness.  I can afford to attend camps...many struggle with the cost to attend these camps.  I'm just annoyed when I see a guy have to pay $1,000 to $1,500 to attend two or three camps in the autumn as he tries to maximize his potential to make a D.1 conference staff.  These assignors are making so much money with their camps...that they have put in this "unwritten" requirement to attend THEIR camp in order to work in THEIR conferences.

Politics is also when one conference assignor tells his umpires that if you accept a game from another conference assignor (even if it is a non-conference game being assigned by that "other" conference assignor) you will not get any more games from that conference assignor.  There is a lawsuit just waiting to happen on the whole issue of "independent contractor" vs. "employee".  We are constantly told that we are independent contractors, yet the degree of control these assignors are exerting over us keeps increasing year after year.  At some point there is a line (I don't know exactly where that line is as I am not the court) that the assignors, with their politics, are going to unintentionally cross which converts us all from independent contractors to their employees (or the conference's/NCAA's employees). Here are just some of the things some assignors have done: (1) tell their umpires that they cannot accept games from certain other assignors; (2) tell umpires where they must get their "training" (i.e. their camp); (3) dictate where umpires must buy their uniforms (from the assignor who also happens to be a sporting goods salesman).  Some are getting close to that line.

The point of that last paragraph is to say: those things are politics, too.  You want to work in a D.1 conference...then you must do these things, too (in addition to doing all the things hckyosgood30 wrote about)...no matter how bad the stench is when you do them.

 

Boy you got some brass ones to go into this, but it is what it is.

Might be happy to know that some of the issues you mentioned have come up before, although in a different arena.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1997/06/10/acc-wants-more-control-over-referees/0186aca5-7922-4dc5-86e0-4cd5bfe58edc/?utm_term=.fa41875c918d

and you better be in Florence right now to catch the first pitch and do your scouting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Boy you got some brass ones to go into this, but it is what it is.

When I voluntarily quit pro ball, I also quit chasing any plum assignments.  I now umpire for fun; because I love it.  If I wanted it to be an all-consuming career, I would have stayed in pro ball...not to pat myself on the back, but I certainly had the evaluations to stay in MiLB for many more years.

I find that umpiring for oneself and for the game, and not giving a f*ck about "making this conference," or "getting this assignment," ...or playing politics...to be very liberating.  Now, I enjoy umpiring a good high school game just as much as I enjoy working a non-conference game between two power five conference members.

I'm just true to myself: I respect the game, I give back by working with newer umpires, give 100% when working a game at any level, and I'll call out bullsh!t when I see it.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×