Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gfoley4

Crazy baserunning play

7 posts in this topic

Obviously this is a very hard play to rule on with so much happening. But now that we have the benefit of replays, do you have anything else? Interference on third base coach? Obstruction on F2? 

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Ha! I just dropped onto MLB.TV to watch exactly this while listening to it. 

First, at 3B, the U3 was more in the way than the 3BC, and the Orioles F5 wasn't hindered in his retrieval of the ball, nor in beginning to chase down Arcia. The 0:10 thru 0:12 mark in the video is the key sequence, and you'll see that once Arcia slides past 3B, he is not tagged by the F5. The F2 is hanging out by the base, but Arcia is unhindered in getting up and dashing towards the plate. He gets into a rundown, and it's a crap throw from the F5 to another position player (#17... can't tell where he came from) with the F2 blocking his fellow fielder from making a play on Arcia. Obstruction? None. Just Oriole ineptitude and some deft running from one of the Game's rising stars.

Oh sure, Showalter can ask about some sort of interference, but there's none to be had. 

1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:
Obviously this is a very hard play to rule on with so much happening.

I don't anything that's hard to rule on nor do I see anything that's particularly close to INT or OBS (no more so than any rundown)

I'll ignore that U3 looked like he signaled out when Arcia regained his footing and started toward home. Good thing everyone else did, too.

Looks like he's just trying to stay out of contact with everyone to me. 

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

Looks like he's just trying to stay out of contact with everyone to me. 

he does then pumps an out with the right arm