Jump to content

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
blue32

Riddell Power 2.0

Recommended Posts

Razzer    99

 

gnhbua93

I am a hockey guy right to the core...the materials I use work to the benefit of the user and the limited products we strap on our chest to umpire a baseball game. You have a track record of making everyone know you are behind F3 products all the way. I use them too and others. I don't slam them only try to enhance the product for the end user. 

F3 makes great products so do the other manufacturers. All I am doing is offering options for a better fit.

You can tell everyone all day long F3 is the best product on the planet...my harness sales say otherwise for all the mfg's including F3 because not everyone on this media think you are the authority on F3 products.

My harness must work because lots of guys in the SHOW and MiLB  use it...same for umpires around the globe

Ray

UMPLIFE

 

 

.....

I am a hockey guy...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
MadMax    1,217
15 hours ago, Razzer said:

My harness must work because lots of guys in the SHOW and MiLB  use it...same for umpires around the globe

I think I found two more guys who need one of your harnesses. Watched the Brewers vs. Yankees last night (Brewers won, BTW), and am watching again today (Brewers are winning ATM, BTW), and with Chad Fairchild as PU last night and Mike Estabrook on the plate today, I can't help but notice these two guys constantly adjusting their CP's!! Estabrook is shifting it around after nearly every pitch!

What would it take for the MLBU office to contact Ray and get a harness made for each of the Big League guys who wants needs one? The relationship between Wilson and the MLBU front office can't be that blind and insular that someone isn't noticing that the fit on the stock-standard-supplied CP's ain't all that good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BT_Blue    824
11 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I think I found two more guys who need one of your harnesses. Watched the Brewers vs. Yankees last night (Brewers won, BTW), and am watching again today (Brewers are winning ATM, BTW), and with Chad Fairchild as PU last night and Mike Estabrook on the plate today, I can't help but notice these two guys constantly adjusting their CP's!! Estabrook is shifting it around after nearly every pitch!

What would it take for the MLBU office to contact Ray and get a harness made for each of the Big League guys who wants needs one? The relationship between Wilson and the MLBU front office can't be that blind and insular that someone isn't noticing that the fit on the stock-standard-supplied CP's ain't all that good!

I seem to remember Ray being besties with a certain big name crew chief that shall remain nameless... who just so happens to have his name all over the Wilson gear we know and love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fittske24    508
On 7/4/2017 at 11:22 PM, mbkcoach said:

Ok what is this? @Fittske24 

IMG_2116.PNG

Looks like a power that had some custom padding made for it at some time. Maybe the guys at Douglas retrofitted it at some time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blue32    163
On 7/3/2017 at 9:26 AM, midtnump said:

@blue32  That is COOL! The new Riddel decals really add a nice touch. Get yourself one of Razzer's harnesses and you are set!

Is it okay if I got 3?

I'm such a junkie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMax    1,217
1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

You are obviously no @MadMax lol

Now now, in @blue32's defense, I've ordered over 20 harnesses for my colleague umpires here in Phoenix. There's no way I can physically or financially support being a gear junkie, on par with several other members of this here great forum.

 

... and I only have 2 RayFlex harnesses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stk004    599
57 minutes ago, MadMax said:

There's no way I can physically or financially support being a gear junkie

Says the man with CoolBase jackets and 4 masks in his arsenal... 5 if we count your poor Nike Steel. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blue32    163
7 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

You are obviously no @MadMax lol

I'd really like to have his tinkering skills. I have these ideas sometimes on things to improve my gear, and can visualize it in my mind, but when it comes to applying them physically, I lack the skills to do it. Maybe one day... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Razzer    99

I have a Carlucci The Hall Of Fame model in Navy beige color scheme and it is being cloned using modern materials and fabric that might be alternative if I can get the cost price right.

Will get some photos as we progress to the finished product.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMax    1,217
56 minutes ago, Razzer said:

I have a Carlucci The Hall Of Fame model in Navy beige color scheme and it is being cloned using modern materials and fabric that might be alternative if I can get the cost price right.

This is the crux of the challenge. The raw, beating heart of it. My single greatest criticism of the Wilson WestVests (both of them) is that they are far overpriced relevant to their age (more specifically, the materials used to make them). There is no possible way that a sofa cushion foam-filled, nylon encased, ABS-shelled set of shoulder pads, first produced more than ten years ago, should still cost over $200!!!!! At least, a company such as Douglas has the decency to not only truthfully state that sofa cushion foam is used (really! Qualux is an upholstery foam!), but their $280+ units are made in the USA! I rave about Schutt, and applaud and endorse their use of advanced materials, such as D3O, and their tremendous affordability, but I acknowledge that $89(ish) price tag on the XV is only possible because of Schutt's dividends reaped from American tackle football. So too, the material and method advances made by Schutt – namely the employment of D3O foam, the use of sculpted ABS, and the importance of beyond-adequate ventilation – were gleaned from the intense work of Schutt in football helmets and shoulder pads.

Force3, unfortunately, doesn't have a more lucrative product line or market subsidizing it, thus its pursuit of using highly advanced materials – Kevlar – and radical (i.e. original) methods translates into high-end costs and premium price tags. It's these price tags that dissuade so many guys from purchasing and using these products, which in turn affects product placement and visibility, which in turn limits sales, which in turn results in narrower profit margins and the need to keep the price tag higher.

To resurrect a classic like a Carlucci is respectable (and I in no way want to dissuade Ray), but the change that needs to happen is the elimination of the pathetic "entry level" gear that exist solely to stock local sporting good stores and offer "affordable" options to novice participants.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
21 hours ago, blue32 said:

Is it okay if I got 3?

I'm such a junkie. 

You have THREE of these?!?

You are a gear addict, and you must atone for this.

Send one to me as penance. :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rulekeep    506
On 7/3/2017 at 5:09 AM, blue32 said:

And after:

 

IMG_2154.JPG

@Stk004 just about made a mess in his pants over this. (Under the cut.) Good work. 

 

IMG_0968.PNG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tpatience    168
1 hour ago, Rulekeep said:

@Stk004 just about made a mess in his pants over this. (Under the cut.) Good work. 

  Hide contents

IMG_0968.PNG

Probably the most beautiful piece of equipment I've ever seen

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thunderheads    2,363

Yes, ...it's a unicorn for sure, but people, let's get real ...... it's no different than a few CPs currently on the market .....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan W.    543

I'm putting this out there..........I've made it clear in the past that my initial gear goal back in the day was to have a custom Carlucci. However, I was "financially challenged"  and just couldn't swing it.........I was aware of the POWER when they were being made and when I went to get one, the cease and desist manufacturing had already begun. leading me to try and pick one up on the used market, and we know how tight that got.

Now this leads me to this question...........as to the Carlucci, since they were handmade (to the users personal specs), I've never considered picking one up on the used market as I felt that potential fit issues and current technology had passed these into a collectors item/ museum piece status.......

Now on to the POWER............I would love a power as I remember how well it fit when one was loaned to me back in the day. BUT in their current states, (used and not re-fitted) are they worth hunting the unicorn down at huge prices given the choices that are available on the market today. How would one compare with the Platinum, or Douglas, or F3??...........

(regardless of this opinion, I want one, AND Id pay to  have it refitted by somebody!)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blue32    163
12 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

You have THREE of these?!?

You are a gear addict, and you must atone for this.

Send one to me as penance. :)

 

I wish! Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am getting 3 harnesses for my 3 vests: The Power, a Platinum, and a Gold.

And no, I'm not sending you one of the harnesses, either. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Razzer    99

I got the Carlucci from a guy with a guy with similar build to me.

It fits like your favorite slippers..heavy to pick up but once you strap it on it had the great snug feeling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blue32    163
9 hours ago, Rulekeep said:

@Stk004 just about made a mess in his pants over this. (Under the cut.) Good work. 

  Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0968.PNG

That was good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blue32    163
13 hours ago, MadMax said:

This is the crux of the challenge. The raw, beating heart of it. My single greatest criticism of the Wilson WestVests (both of them) is that they are far overpriced relevant to their age (more specifically, the materials used to make them). There is no possible way that a sofa cushion foam-filled, nylon encased, ABS-shelled set of shoulder pads, first produced more than ten years ago, should still cost over $200!!!!! At least, a company such as Douglas has the decency to not only truthfully state that sofa cushion foam is used (really! Qualux is an upholstery foam!), but their $280+ units are made in the USA! I rave about Schutt, and applaud and endorse their use of advanced materials, such as D3O, and their tremendous affordability, but I acknowledge that $89(ish) price tag on the XV is only possible because of Schutt's dividends reaped from American tackle football. So too, the material and method advances made by Schutt – namely the employment of D3O foam, the use of sculpted ABS, and the importance of beyond-adequate ventilation – were gleaned from the intense work of Schutt in football helmets and shoulder pads.

Force3, unfortunately, doesn't have a more lucrative product line or market subsidizing it, thus its pursuit of using highly advanced materials – Kevlar – and radical (i.e. original) methods translates into high-end costs and premium price tags. It's these price tags that dissuade so many guys from purchasing and using these products, which in turn affects product placement and visibility, which in turn limits sales, which in turn results in narrower profit margins and the need to keep the price tag higher.

To resurrect a classic like a Carlucci is respectable (and I in no way want to dissuade Ray), but the change that needs to happen is the elimination of the pathetic "entry level" gear that exist solely to stock local sporting good stores and offer "affordable" options to novice participants.

I'm assuming you are going off of Wilson's price on their website? Isn't that their way of insuring that they don't undercut the folks that have distribution agreements? A Platinum can be had for as low as $115 and a Gold for $135. Not defending Wilson, I do agree that they need to update their products, but are too busy designing funky looking one-offs for different holidays. Both the platinum and the gold need thinner, better foam than they do now. The platinum needs to ditch the "chin pad," and the gold needs to redesign the ridiculous pec pads that get in the way all the time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
midtnump    93
2 hours ago, Stan W. said:

I'm putting this out there..........I've made it clear in the past that my initial gear goal back in the day was to have a custom Carlucci. However, I was "financially challenged"  and just couldn't swing it.........I was aware of the POWER when they were being made and when I went to get one, the cease and desist manufacturing had already begun. leading me to try and pick one up on the used market, and we know how tight that got.

Now this leads me to this question...........as to the Carlucci, since they were handmade (to the users personal specs), I've never considered picking one up on the used market as I felt that potential fit issues and current technology had passed these into a collectors item/ museum piece status.......

Now on to the POWER............I would love a power as I remember how well it fit when one was loaned to me back in the day. BUT in their current states, (used and not re-fitted) are they worth hunting the unicorn down at huge prices given the choices that are available on the market today. How would one compare with the Platinum, or Douglas, or F3??...........

(regardless of this opinion, I want one, AND Id pay to  have it refitted by somebody!)   

@Stan W. I think you may be hard pressed to find someone other than Razzer that has worn a Carlucci. Fittske24 maybe?? Its always about how a cp fits your body. I like the Douglas becuase at 5'10" 180lbs it fits my body very well. The Wilsons are a good cp, but they were distracting &  too big and sloppy for me. I have never worn an F3 personally, but I do like it and find it intriguing due to its adjustable design in the shoulder width and length. Again its about how it fits your body. Thank you Razzor for your harness that allows my 15" Champion to fit me just as snug and worry free  as the Delta Flex on my Douglas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Razzer    99

I have a few rigs I alternate 15" and 13" Douglas both black older versions WV Gold no issues with pec pads as I sew them down on the shoulder cap. F3 v1 with lower part removed and the neck extension also removed and the Carlucci. I like all of them and use all off them but most of my plates this season I have worn the WV Gold. My only complaint is it does trap heat. I keep telling myself to take out the padding and replace it and the cover with newer breathable materials...will get to it sometime this season. I think I could reduce the heat and the comfort...just need to find the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stk004    599
14 minutes ago, Razzer said:

I have a few rigs I alternate 15" and 13" Douglas both black older versions WV Gold no issues with pec pads as I sew them down on the shoulder cap. F3 v1 with lower part removed and the neck extension also removed and the Carlucci. I like all of them and use all off them but most of my plates this season I have worn the WV Gold. My only complaint is it does trap heat. I keep telling myself to take out the padding and replace it and the cover with newer breathable materials...will get to it sometime this season. I think I could reduce the heat and the comfort...just need to find the time.

If you do I think there's a lot of members here that'd love to know how you did it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
10 hours ago, blue32 said:

I wish! Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am getting 3 harnesses for my 3 vests: The Power, a Platinum, and a Gold.

And no, I'm not sending you one of the harnesses, either. :)

:(

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×