FED: 4 Batters HBP

bluejersey
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2453 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was doing a 16U game last night with FED rules. One of the pitchers hit 4 batters causing the opposing HC to ask for his removal on the grounds that FED rules state a pitcher must be removed after he hits his fourth batter. I had never heard of this rule and neither had the two base umps so played on. Were we all wrong?

I was doing a 16U game last night with FED rules. One of the pitchers hit 4 batters causing the opposing HC to ask for his removal on the grounds that FED rules state a pitcher must be removed after he hits his fourth batter. I had never heard of this rule and neither had the two base umps so played on. Were we all wrong?

Nope, the rule is 5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, LRZ said:

If this was not a school game, could there be a local modification? One youth league I work has a "three batters in one inning" rule.

No league rule about hit batters. On another note they do modify the mound visit rule to match OBR :/

At the stated age level, it is likely that you will have pitchers that are what I call "experiments"; kids with little to no pitching experience and have received either last-minute or no instruction.   It shouldn't be surprising to see that they have little control.   All that said, there is no cutoff rule for how many batters he could hit.  A quick question to the catcher or his coach about F1's experience could shed some light on the matter, not that there would be anything for you to do about it, UNLESS you begin to consider if F1 is doing this with intent.

There was no intent. The issue was his breaking balls were left hanging. He hit three guys in the head because of this. The fourth was just a wild fastball. He actually ended up hitting a fifth guy before the coach finally pulled him.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scrounge said:

I have it on unimpeachable authority that five is right out

But do you count "One... Two... Five!', 'Three Sir!, '... Three!"?

This coach has been doing Little League-esque games too long.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluejersey said:

There was no intent. The issue was his breaking balls were left hanging. He hit three guys in the head because of this. The fourth was just a wild fastball. He actually ended up hitting a fifth guy before the coach finally pulled him.

The second sentence is hilarious.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jonathantullos said:

As others have pointed out, there is no such rule in FED. Having said that, I would like to think that if a pitcher was hitting batters constantly, he may at least have a word with him. 

He made a few trips to the mound. That's not really my problem though. Sure I was hoping the coach would pull him for the good of the game, but I can only officiate what I'm presented with.

I believe that the 5 hit batter rule has been modified to award 2nd base after the 3rd batter is hit, and award 3rd after the 6th batter is hit. If the pitcher hits over 6 batters, a run is scored for every batter after the 6th one hit. This rule is common knowledge among all real umpires. 

12 hours ago, blue23ll said:

I believe that the 5 hit batter rule has been modified to award 2nd base after the 3rd batter is hit, and award 3rd after the 6th batter is hit. If the pitcher hits over 6 batters, a run is scored for every batter after the 6th one hit. This rule is common knowledge among all real umpires. 

IIRC, the rule you cite is directly from the official rules of Calvin Ball