Register or Sign In to remove these ads
bluejersey

FED: 4 Batters HBP

18 posts in this topic

I was doing a 16U game last night with FED rules. One of the pitchers hit 4 batters causing the opposing HC to ask for his removal on the grounds that FED rules state a pitcher must be removed after he hits his fourth batter. I had never heard of this rule and neither had the two base umps so played on. Were we all wrong?

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
I was doing a 16U game last night with FED rules. One of the pitchers hit 4 batters causing the opposing HC to ask for his removal on the grounds that FED rules state a pitcher must be removed after he hits his fourth batter. I had never heard of this rule and neither had the two base umps so played on. Were we all wrong?

Nope, the rule is 5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Catch18 said:

Nope, the rule is 5...emoji12.pngemoji24.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have it on unimpeachable authority that five is right out

3 people like this

If this was not a school game, could there be a local modification? One youth league I work has a "three batters in one inning" rule.

A local adult league has a rule:

3 batters in one inning

— or —

4 batters in the game = removal from the mound  

But the opposing coach may waive the rule. 

9 hours ago, LRZ said:

If this was not a school game, could there be a local modification? One youth league I work has a "three batters in one inning" rule.

No league rule about hit batters. On another note they do modify the mound visit rule to match OBR :/

At the stated age level, it is likely that you will have pitchers that are what I call "experiments"; kids with little to no pitching experience and have received either last-minute or no instruction.   It shouldn't be surprising to see that they have little control.   All that said, there is no cutoff rule for how many batters he could hit.  A quick question to the catcher or his coach about F1's experience could shed some light on the matter, not that there would be anything for you to do about it, UNLESS you begin to consider if F1 is doing this with intent.

There was no intent. The issue was his breaking balls were left hanging. He hit three guys in the head because of this. The fourth was just a wild fastball. He actually ended up hitting a fifth guy before the coach finally pulled him.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, scrounge said:

I have it on unimpeachable authority that five is right out

But do you count "One... Two... Five!', 'Three Sir!, '... Three!"?

This coach has been doing Little League-esque games too long.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, bluejersey said:

There was no intent. The issue was his breaking balls were left hanging. He hit three guys in the head because of this. The fourth was just a wild fastball. He actually ended up hitting a fifth guy before the coach finally pulled him.

The second sentence is hilarious.

4 people like this

As others have pointed out, there is no such rule in FED. Having said that, I would like to think that if a pitcher was hitting batters constantly, he may at least have a word with him. 

7 hours ago, jonathantullos said:

As others have pointed out, there is no such rule in FED. Having said that, I would like to think that if a pitcher was hitting batters constantly, he may at least have a word with him. 

He made a few trips to the mound. That's not really my problem though. Sure I was hoping the coach would pull him for the good of the game, but I can only officiate what I'm presented with.

I believe that the 5 hit batter rule has been modified to award 2nd base after the 3rd batter is hit, and award 3rd after the 6th batter is hit. If the pitcher hits over 6 batters, a run is scored for every batter after the 6th one hit. This rule is common knowledge among all real umpires. 

12 hours ago, blue23ll said:

I believe that the 5 hit batter rule has been modified to award 2nd base after the 3rd batter is hit, and award 3rd after the 6th batter is hit. If the pitcher hits over 6 batters, a run is scored for every batter after the 6th one hit. This rule is common knowledge among all real umpires. 

IIRC, the rule you cite is directly from the official rules of Calvin Ball

I found it... under M.S.U rule 9.356a-b of the MSU manual.