Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stkjock

CWS - slide call at Second

38 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, kstrunk said:

Not sure what you're referring to @Jimurray, but let's not leave out Heath Jones at 1st, flat out getting it done on some bangers tonight. 

Maybe Mainieri thought it wasn't going to be called that way because it wasn't when he played another Florida team:

1 person likes this

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
49 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Maybe Mainieri thought it wasn't going to be called that way because it wasn't when he played another Florida team:

And he should have said something about this one for sure.   Not sure why the umpire was on that side of the bag for this play.  I think you can see so much more on the other side of the bag.

21 minutes ago, umpstu said:

And he should have said something about this one for sure.   Not sure why the umpire was on that side of the bag for this play.  I think you can see so much more on the other side of the bag.

He was in deep C with R1, his choice but I would be in deep B. But with no steal we would go to the open glove side from either position.

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

He was in deep C with R1, his choice but I would be in deep B. But with no steal we would go to the open glove side from either position.

Agreed.  No doubt I would be in deep B for that play.

19 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Case in point...Mattingly was in Deep B...where the umpire belongs. 

Prepitch with R1 you have a choice although most of us like deep B. but with no steal and a DP ball I thought we go to the open glove side. Are you saying always deep B for a better angle on the slide. I think as long as you're close you could get the slide from either side. But obviously my example didn't either due to not seeing it or not enforcing the rule as written.

27 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Prepitch with R1 you have a choice although most of us like deep B. but with no steal and a DP ball I thought we go to the open glove side.

That's correct (with a possible quibble on "most of us")

47 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Prepitch with R1 you have a choice although most of us like deep B. but with no steal and a DP ball I thought we go to the open glove side. Are you saying always deep B for a better angle on the slide. I think as long as you're close you could get the slide from either side. But obviously my example didn't either due to not seeing it or not enforcing the rule as written.

Why couldn't there be a steal attempt?  I might have missed something here?

2 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Why couldn't there be a steal attempt?  I might have missed something here?

There wouldn't be a DP ball with a steal. But it is extraneous.

11 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

There wouldn't be a DP ball with a steal. But it is extraneous.

Right.  I was saying that I always set up in deep b in that situation and then adjust. I think we're on the same page.

In the Fla Seminole - LSU FPSR no call would U1 be within his rights under NCAA "getting the call right" to offer his view of the slide to U2? He had to have eyes on it as the throw wasn't released.

22 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

In the Fla Seminole - LSU FPSR no call would U1 be within his rights under NCAA "getting the call right" to offer his view of the slide to U2? He had to have eyes on it as the throw wasn't released.

Only if the calling umpire had asked for help and then they would all get together for everybody's input.

2 hours ago, umpstu said:

Only if the calling umpire had asked for help and then they would all get together for everybody's input.

By rule I think you are right. But I think there was a a sit in past years where U1 intervened, not in one of the get the call right sits, and NCAA said it was the right thing. Mainieri came out on the wrong play and didn"t come out on the right play. Make you wonder how well the FPSR was adjudged in the regular season. Two illegal slides in the CWS. And some interesting comments in error by college umpires on facebook.