CWS - slide call at Second

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2464 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Who saw that call by U2, Mattingly, huge.   Takes a run off the board. 

Agreed. Great, and the right, call. Unnecessary play by R1 given the situation. Even the announcers agreed :blink:.

Great call, textbook call.  Had to make it, certainly couldn't ignore it.  

Probably my least favorite part of umpiring - when you call a play perfectly and just because it came at an inopportune time for one team you are treated like you screwed up and ruined the game.  It is also gratifying when you KNOW you got it right.  

Just now, zoops said:

Great call, textbook call.  Had to make it, certainly couldn't ignore it.  

Probably my least favorite part of umpiring - when you call a play perfectly and just because it came at an inopportune time for one team you are treated like you screwed up and ruined the game.  It is also gratifying when you KNOW you got it right.  

It's why so many guys don't make the right calls in big situations (not at that level)... They fear being disliked more than they fear being incompetent. Not these guys!!! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kstrunk said:

It's why so many guys don't make the right calls in big situations (not at that level)... They fear being disliked more than they fear being incompetent. Not these guys!!! 

And why are we not talking about the no call earlier in the series?

I'm not sure if they have the same audio on the regular ESPN feed, but I was watching an "extra" feed on watchESPN last night that rotated through a bunch of camera angles with no announcers and just field noise. You could clearly hear all the umpires. Early in the game, you could hear what I think was the second base umpire saying "no rotation" before a pitch with a runner on first. (They have LF and RF umpires now)

1 hour ago, kstrunk said:

Not sure what you're referring to @Jimurray, but let's not leave out Heath Jones at 1st, flat out getting it done on some bangers tonight. 

You gotta take the good with the bad. Nobody has seen a flat out FPSR violation not called in the series? Kudos to the guys tonite but one of their own at Omaha missed one at 2B.

I made the same call to end a high school game which stopped a 5 year conference winning streak for one team.  And the kid was even further out of the direct line between the bases.  One of my favorite players also. I had people screaming at me and that players brother bumped me on the way to the parking lot.  When that play happened tonight I got a text from the coach of the winning team that night. lol  

44 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

There's a certain satisfaction getting booed and knowing 100% that you nailed the call.

It is astonishing to me that any umpire would disagree with that call and yet I'm seeing how it shouldn't have been called because it had no effect on the play by people posting on FB. WTF?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kstrunk said:

Which is how you make it to Omaha....

3 hours ago, umpstu said:

It is astonishing to me that any umpire would disagree with that call and yet I'm seeing how it shouldn't have been called because it had no effect on the play by people posting on FB. WTF?  

Its FB.

I was pleased to hear the TV crew unequivocally support the call (no hedging such as "How can you call that in this situation?!?" BS) and convey the rule properly.

Mattingly's timing was SPOT on.  Saw it and called it IMMEDIATELY.  He let Mainieri have his say (who didn't seem OVERLY upset) and was Joe Cool the entire time.  Great game management.

Was also impressed with Gil's thorough write-up and how quickly it was posted with all of the images and video.  All I did was sleep all night.

14 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Where in the video is the play?  (The video is 24 minutes long)

opps, sorry, I just used the link in Gil's write up, when I clicked it, it took me right to the play.

15 minutes ago, zoops said:

As an aside - would anybody have MC here under FED rules?  Spikes were pretty high and made solid contact with the fielder.  

The rule is spikes have to be below the knee and contact was in fact below the knee.  If the umpire judged that the runner INTENTIONALLY lifted his spikes, that might justify a call of MC knee level or not. Looking at this with the benefit of multiple angles, slow mo, etc.,  I think you could get a MC in FED.

43 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

10:40.

Easy (and good) call.  No comment on whether other FPSR calls were missed (I watched about 3 innings total of the entire CWS).

38 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

The rule is spikes have to be below the knee and contact was in fact below the knee.  If the umpire judged that the runner INTENTIONALLY lifted his spikes, that might justify a call of MC knee level or not. Looking at this with the benefit of multiple angles, slow mo, etc.,  I think you could get a MC in FED.

The "above the knee" makes the slide illegal -- it's not any part (by itself) of the MC rule.

I would not have MC here in FED.

• Like 3

Here's a non-24 minute clip of the play. It's about as basic as it gets...but every time you make the call, it will cause people to not like you. At the local level it is something you will deal with when you gain the guts and confidence to make these correct calls. Remember, there are two sides to making this call. It's not just the offense that "gets screwed" The same thing happens to the defense if an umpire chooses to avoid conflict and not make the call. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, umpstu said:

My favorite was that he was "close enough."  SMH.

• Like 1