ASV "Independent" Information

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2324 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been to ASV a few times and every time I've gone I went with a team, same with CDP. One of the guys I work with regularly said that he was going to ASV as an "independent". I'm not sure what that means and what that entails, but he said that since we're not going up with a team, the pay is $35/game through ASV. I've never heard of this and never saw it when I went up as all the guys I stayed with were with a team. I've also never heard of ASV directly paying umpires since that's usually worked out with a team.

Anyone with any info would be a great help because over never gone to Cooperstown this way and to be honest I'm weary of the situation.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, LittleBlue said:

@tpatience if this is the case do you get to stay on site? I remember when I went all the guys in the barracks had teams and it seemed the local guys had their own assigner and didn't work with us.

I would've stayed in the barracks. I don't think Oscar would've had a problem with it

• 3 months later...

I do recall the indepen ants staying in the bunkhouse and yes I know an ump who worked without a team and on last day got his check so that part is real. They don't deal with locals like they once did. However since Bucket is not there it is chaos come assigning games..last 3 years an absolute nightmare and quality umps sat on Wednesday as the "buddy" system prevailed. Umpiring was HORRIBLE for most important time of tournament. I recall one game where coach refused to take the field until plate ump was removed from game. He must have remembered how terrible he was. Oscar made the switch

38 minutes ago, paump said:

I do recall the indepen ants staying in the bunkhouse and yes I know an ump who worked without a team and on last day got his check so that part is real. They don't deal with locals like they once did. However since Bucket is not there it is chaos come assigning games..last 3 years an absolute nightmare and quality umps sat on Wednesday as the "buddy" system prevailed. Umpiring was HORRIBLE for most important time of tournament. I recall one game where coach refused to take the field until plate ump was removed from game. He must have remembered how terrible he was. Oscar made the switch

I disagree with your last statement. Harry and Oscar assigned quarterfinals and beyond. Those guys were evaluated by the college umpires staying at ASV and only the best got championship and semi final games

On 10/24/2017 at 2:37 PM, paump said:

@paump blasting someone is very nice as your presentation letter, first post, on this site. That speaks highly of you.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all let me apologize if some were offended by the truth in my last post. Question was asked and was answered as I was there and witnessed it all going down. Harry was hospitalized unexpectedly, Oscar and I are good friends so do not take as a slam to him.

The Independents live in house across from Village or in the Med shack bottom of hill. There were 3 of them in our bunk and yes they got paid 35.00 a game, ten dollars off 45 rate for room and board. The 45.00 rate was when they used NY local umps which are not used anymore. The assigning at end of tournament this PARTICULAR week was bad, 

First of all let me apologize if some were offended by the truth in my last post. Question was asked and was answered as I was there and witnessed it all going down. Harry was hospitalized unexpectedly, Oscar and I are good friends so do not take as a slam to him.

The Independents live in house across from Village or in the Med shack bottom of hill. There were 3 of them in our bunk and yes they got paid 35.00 a game, ten dollars off 45 rate for room and board. The 45.00 rate was when they used NY local umps which are not used anymore. The assigning at end of tournament this PARTICULAR week was bad, 

No question was asked of who/how schedules .... Just if the $35/game as an independent was legit.

Post #2 was an edgy double down. Perhaps maybe just a 1.5x.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk