On/Off Switch

lawump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2486 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

That moment when you're working the bases of an American Legion game and a loooonnnnggggg rundown develops between second and third base.  And the runner, as he is heading back towards second base (for like the 5th time), decides to run out of the way (toward left field) to try and initiate contact with a defensive player.  And you (the umpire) give the safe signal and yell, "that's nothing!" and everyone just STOPS.

And I do mean EVERYONE.  And I do mean completely STOPPED.  And they were all just staring at me.  (I was working the "track" between second and third base.)

After what felt like an eternity (probably 3-5 seconds), someone from the dugout/stands finally yelled, "keep playing!"  F4 then ran down and tagged R2.  I had no arguments from anyone about the call or how I made the call.  (I even heard the head/3rd base coach tell his runner, "you tried to do the right thing, but that was too obvious!")

It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen.  When I yelled, "that's nothing!" they all stopped simultaneously like they were robots who all just had the switch moved to the off position at the same exact time.  Then, when some finally yelled, "keep playing!" I swear the switch was simultaneously moved to the "on" position on each player.  For a brief moment I thought I was on candid camera. 

Have you ever have a large group of people simultaneously look at you with a "deer in the headlights" look?  Personally, I have now.  LOL

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MadMax said:

You're a lawyer, @lawump, and you've never had a Perry Mason moment??

:blink:

... I don't buy it.

I never said I was a good lawyer, only a good umpire.  :D

• Like 2

I called a balk on a pitcher a couple of weeks ago (OBR-based). The batter hit it square to the shortstop. And then R2 and R3 returned to their bases, shortstop stands up, and the batter doesn't leave the box. After a couple of seconds with everybody looking at me, DHC says "well, throw it to first" (after which I called time and enforced the balk). Not the same situation, but very similar in feel to the "on/off button".

• Like 1