Mr

Guest Jason Holmes
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2468 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Jason Holmes

Umpire awards first base on high inside pitch.  Runner advances.  Opponents coachs argue foul tip.  Ump changes his mind calls him out on a third strike foul caught.  Single ump game.  Allowed or ball 4 called runner geta first?

12 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Guest Jason Holmes said:

Umpire awards first base on high inside pitch.  Runner advances.  Opponents coachs argue foul tip.  Ump changes his mind calls him out on a third strike foul caught.  Single ump game.  Allowed or ball 4 called runner geta first?

When you pay for only one ump you are shortchanging yourself. When that ump calls behind the pitcher he is shortchanging you. If that is where he was then there is no explanation of why he changed his call but he can. Need more details otherwise.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, maven said:

If he swung enough to tip it foul, then it should be strike 3 in any case. Sorry, coach.

?

i know you know better, but for those who don't know you, you may want to re-phrase that!  

9 hours ago, maven said:

If he swung enough to tip it foul, then it should be strike 3 in any case. Sorry, coach.

8 hours ago, Tborze said:

?

i know you know better, but for those who don't know you, you may want to re-phrase that!  

9 hours ago, Guest Jason Holmes said:

Would you be kind enough to come down from Mt. Bulls%#t long enough to enlighten the rest of us?

And do you really know @maven better? If you want to call people out, it is usually best to avoid providing ammunition that demonstrate's one's own ass-hattedness.

I read the play as "batter turns away from high-inside pitch.  The pitch may have nicked the bat.  The umpire originally decides it did not, so awards the batter first on ball four.  After a discussion with the defensive coach, the umpire changes his mind and judges that the pitch did nick the bat, went sharply and directly to the catcher's mitt, and was caught.  The umpire changes his ruling to "foul tip, strike 3, batter out."

Assuming that's a reasonable description of the play, then, yes, the umpire can change his mind on the call -- whether he should, or not, is a different matter (I would wonder why he didn't call it that way in the first place, for example).

Guest Coach

Yes that's exactly how it went.  I don't understand how your award a base then a minute later believe the inside pitch hit the bat and was caught.  But if it's allowed by rule then I have no objection that's the game.  seems backwards.  I don't ump I referee rugby.  A call is a call.  One referee once the call is made that's the call.  It's never gets chang

11 hours ago, Jimurray said:

When you pay for only one ump you are shortchanging yourself. When that ump calls behind the pitcher he is shortchanging you. If that is where he was then there is no explanation of why he changed his call but he can. Need more details otherwise.

Tournament they only had a behind the plate ump. No swing attempt.  Try to avoid getting hit by pitch