CWS

Tborze
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2468 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What is going on?

Strike zones are inconsistent, positioning is terrible, judgement is questionable, coaches allowed to rush out and question judgement calls! 

Our association has 22 members, and our best 10 can do a better job!  

I can answer all these questions, why aren't the evaluators doing the same? 

A lot of our brotheren say they can't or won't evaluate guys because of the level they call because they are calling the CWS, but why not?

All year their strike zone is as big as a dryer, now they are on tv and it seems they change their zone and they are lost and lose everybody else!

Lefty zone is different than a righty, balls outside 6" called 3K, next batter called a ball? 

Where you @Jimurray @Matt 

sorry for venting, but this is what makes or brakes us at a level we get to prove ourselves!  

I know I'm gonna get some flack, but oh well!  I can go call the Pirates game right now!:o

2 minutes ago, Tborze said:

What is going on?

Strike zones are inconsistent, positioning is terrible, judgement is questionable, coaches allowed to rush out and question judgement calls! 

A lot of our brotheren say they can't or won't evaluate guys because of the level they call because they are calling the CWS, but why not?

All year their strike zone is as big as a dryer, now they are on tv and it seems they change their zone and they are lost and lose everybody else!

Lefty zone is different than a righty, balls outside 6" called 3K, next batter called a ball? 

sorry for venting, but this is what makes or brakes us at a level we get to prove ourselves!  

I know I'm gonna get some flack, but oh well!  I can go call the Pirates game right now!:o

If this helps you sleep at night....

1 hour ago, Tborze said:

What is going on?

I haven't seen much as I've been busy. But my DVR has a bunch. The NCAA national coordinator has a video recently praising the lack of "white line" strikes and good zones thus far in the tournament. I think I believe him. But I did see a FPSR no call that did not get discussed.

8 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I haven't seen much as I've been busy. But my DVR has a bunch. The NCAA national coordinator has a video recently praising the lack of "white line" strikes and good zones thus far in the tournament. I think I believe him. But I did see a FPSR no call that did not get discussed.

The OSU vs LSU game today!  Balls in the box called strikes. Not even white line strikes, outside white line strikes!  I can see if he was consistent, but it seemed like PU changed his zone based on the game and was outside his comfort zone. 

i didn't see the FPSR play you mentioned, but I did see HC come out on a judgement call at 1st and was given some leave way. Announcers said it was based on a call from yesterday I didn't see. 

What is the deal with calling pitches? "Ball, outside". "Ball, high". "Ball, down". ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tborze said:

The OSU vs LSU game today!  Balls in the box called strikes. Not even white line strikes, outside white line strikes!  I can see if he was consistent, but it seemed like PU changed his zone based on the game and was outside his comfort zone. 

i didn't see the FPSR play you mentioned, but I did see HC come out on a judgement call at 1st and was given some leave way. Announcers said it was based on a call from yesterday I didn't see. 

What is the deal with calling pitches? "Ball, outside". "Ball, high". "Ball, down". ?

Been done at the college level for a long time. I will say it on something close, but I will keep my volume low.  If I have to scream to sell something it's going to be a strike.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

why aren't you there working the games then??????

Since they need help, when will we see you there??????

Give us a shout, as you know we will gladly watch someone from this forum.

Some work for the fame, others work for the game!

Gimme 30 yrs back and $10,000.00 and I'll show you:lol:

Dont get me wrong, they put in the work!  But they are not all that just because they are there!  

There is a gulf course where I'm from called dumb dumb, it's only a 9 hole course tho! 

23 minutes ago, Tborze said:

Dont get me wrong, they put in the work!  But they are not all that just because they are there!  

There is a gulf course where I'm from called dumb dumb, it's only a 9 hole course tho! 

They are all that.  They're there because they can flat out umpire.  

57 minutes ago, Tborze said:

nobody said they were all that.

so why the excuse about giving 30 years back. Every opportunity you would want to achieve has been there for the time span mentioned, both working towards a CWS or a WS in another arena.

And of course just like all professions and every job imaginable. You will never find out who/whom are the best, unless each and every person tries for that profession or job that is being talked about. That is the only way to get the best of the best. And I don't see any film footage of all those mentioned in the OP who can do better so we can take potshots at all of them. Or since they are on the "How great thou art" team by proclamation, I guess there would be no need to review their work, either to critique or very possibly to learn from.

2 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Both teams?

Watch the game!

Zone was different for RHB vs LHB! 

Look, I'm not critiquing this particular PU, but the whole series it seems strike zones have been criticized. In the FL vs LSU ? game they put the PU on bast the whole game!  Catchers, pitchers, batters questioning every other pitch.

My point is, for guys coming up, get in position to see pitches both up and down, in and out. 

These guys seem to be set in their way and don't change. 

There are officials who have been calling for 30 years and for 30 years they have been calling it wrong. More so for Basketball!

6 minutes ago, Tborze said:

Watch the game!

Zone was different for RHB vs LHB! 

Look, I'm not critiquing this particular PU, but the whole series it seems strike zones have been criticized. In the FL vs LSU ? game they put the PU on bast the whole game!  Catchers, pitchers, batters questioning every other pitch.

My point is, for guys coming up, get in position to see pitches both up and down, in and out. 

These guys seem to be set in their way and don't change. 

There are officials who have been calling for 30 years and for 30 years they have been calling it wrong. More so for Basketball!

30 rookie seasons.

• Like 1