Lineup card management

ousafe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2470 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok - it is LL tournament time.  I have precious little experience with managing a lineup card since we use CBO exclusively during the season.

Does anyone have any good resources on how this should be done?  Or a system that can be explained in a comprehensible way?  It seems like a "dark art," and everyone has their own personal solution.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, ousafe said:

Ok - it is LL tournament time.  I have precious little experience with managing a lineup card since we use CBO exclusively during the season.

Does anyone have any good resources on how this should be done?  Or a system that can be explained in a comprehensible way?  It seems like a "dark art," and everyone has their own personal solution.

Thanks!

It isn't a dark art.

9 in the lineup at any moment.

Players are locked into their slot in the order. If they leave the lineup and return it must be in the same slot. 

Minimum play (MPR) is dependent on how many players are there at the start of the game.

The starter and sub that share a slot can be switched in and out as often as you wish AFTER the sub has met MPR.

Only you know your team and talent so only you can decide on who to move where when.

are you a coach or umpire?

In my 3 yrs of experience of WP play, the umpires never were involved with the line ups, the TD and "official" scorer were always responsible for that. you also have to inform them and opposing team of subs and changes.

Subs & starters are "married" in the batting order and cannot be in the game at the same time.

17 hours ago, stkjock said:

are you a coach or umpire?

In my 3 yrs of experience of WP play, the umpires never were involved with the line ups, the TD and "official" scorer were always responsible for that. you also have to inform them and opposing team of subs and changes.

Subs & starters are "married" in the batting order and cannot be in the game at the same time.

Our district has the umpires use line up cards purely because, the "official score keeper" is usually someone who couldn't get out of it isn't as well versed with substitution and MPR as we should be.  It's easy.  41 is your starter, & 23 is the sub.  scratch out 23 under the "subs" column, and write it next to 41.  Once 23 has met MPR, and 41 re-enters, just circle 41. Once both have met MPR, they have free substitution for each other. One can play offense, and the other defense.  There are a multitude of ways of doing this.  Some use letters, some use #s.  You just need to find out what is comfortable for you.  Speed is of the essence, as the game should wait on you to write a short story.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Our district has the umpires use line up cards purely because, the "official score keeper" is usually someone who couldn't get out of it isn't as well versed with substitution and MPR as we should be.  It's easy.  41 is your starter, & 23 is the sub.  scratch out 23 under the "subs" column, and write it next to 41.  Once 23 has met MPR, and 41 re-enters, just circle 41. Once both have met MPR, they have free substitution for each other. One can play offense, and the other defense.  There are a multitude of ways of doing this.  Some use letters, some use #s.  You just need to find out what is comfortable for you.  Speed is of the essence, as the game should wait on you to write a short story.   

in my local experience, as a coach, district level, the OS was always someone who had a lot of experience with the book and WP play.

on the one sectional level I was involved in, it seemed like the OS was versed in WP play.

Edited by stkjock
clarify that I'm not an umpire

2 hours ago, stkjock said:

in my local experience, district level, the OS was always someone who had a lot of experience with the book and WP play.

on the one sectional level I was involved in, it seemed like the OS was versed in WP play.

Working LL sectionals after only 3 years of umpiring.   OUTSTANDING!

27 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Working LL sectionals after only 3 years of umpiring.   OUTSTANDING!

Well thanks for the kudo's but as my sig says, just a youth coach here, not an umpire, though my wife keeps urging me to get involved as a man in blue.

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

Well thanks for the kudo's but as my sig says, just a youth coach here, not an umpire, though my wife keeps urging me to get involved as a man in blue.

You should, much better understanding of the game and the job. We require our coaches to umpire during the regular season. We no longer have coaches arguing balls and strikes. We also choose our teams via a draft, so a couple coaches use it as a chance to scout/evaluate upcoming pitchers. 

Also, our PU keeps track of it as well as the scorekeeper during Districts and State tournaments.