Different types of padding on Champion CP?

mbkcoach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2482 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have the Champion  cp like the one in the second pic. You have already answered your own question. Padding thickness is the same, the newer models have the moisture wicking fabric not the older Wilson type of pad covering. With the newer fabric I was mine less often than I do my Douglas padding. I use both on hot days with multiple games.  i hate putting on a cp with soaking wet padding. 

I can't compare as I haven't worn anything else, but it's hot. It's perfect for early spring and fall here in the Pacific NW, but I'd be thinking about something with better ventilation if I was south of here. I actually picked up the Schutt for the summers here. Just have to finish modifying it for a better harness. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mbkcoach said:

@midtnump how would you compare it to your douglas? I picked a champion with old padding up for $35. I have a douglas. Gonna use this as a backup 

The Douglas padding is a little more dense than the champion, and slightly hotter than the champion. The champion is a little bit more comfortable to me due to the breaks in the plates and the t hook location vs the douglas. I just finished HS age double header summer league and the Douglas was first and Champion second if I did both plates. I have had solid hits in both, both  have held up. Get an umps life harness for the champion, it will improve the fit.  Don't worry you have a  solid back up now. I had a Wilson Platnium, which was a  horrible fit, the Douglas 15" is my favorite followed by the Champion 15".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, midtnump said:

The Douglas padding is a little more dense than the champion, and slightly hotter than the champion. The champion is a little bit more comfortable to me due to the breaks in the plates and the t hook location vs the douglas. I just finished HS age double header summer league and the Douglas was first and Champion second if I did both plates. I have had solid hits in both, both  have held up. Get an umps life harness for the champion, it will improve the fit.  Don't worry you have a  solid back up now. I had a Wilson Platnium, which was a  horrible fit, the Douglas 15" is my favorite followed by the Champion 15".

Thank you! A great informative response!

The Champion is lower. I failed to mention earlier, the Champion padding is roughly 1/2" maybe a little more on mine, and the Douglas is a good 5/8" thick or slightly more. The Douglass plates are probably a little thicker too. The Wilson Platnium, @MadMax sofa cushion, was so thick I sweated buckets with it on and it slide around and I hated it. I am 5'-10" and 180, and the Douglas and Champion fit me the best. The Champion is lower profile on my body, but my Douglas is the lower profile on my shoulders because I don't have the gap plate on the Douglas and the Champion does. My personal opinion is this, both of them fit "my body" type and they "protect me" so thats why I have them. I looked like I had a billboard under my shirt with the Wilson. Again you have two good ones . For me its Douglas 1 and Champion the alternate.

30 minutes ago, midtnump said:

The Champion is lower. I failed to mention earlier, the Champion padding is roughly 1/2" maybe a little more on mine, and the Douglas is a good 5/8" thick or slightly more. The Douglas plates are probably a little thicker too. The Wilson Platinum, @MadMax's sofa cushion, was so thick I sweated buckets with it on and it slide around and I hated it. I am 5'-10" and 180, and the Douglas and Champion fit me the best. The Champion is lower profile on my body, but my Douglas is the lower profile on my shoulders because I don't have the gap plate on the Douglas and the Champion does. My personal opinion is this, both of them fit "my body" type and they "protect me" so thats why I have them. I looked like I had a billboard under my shirt with the Wilson. Again you have two good ones . For me its Douglas 1 and Champion the alternate.

I have a sofa cushion named after me??!!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!!! :rollinglaugh:

Douglas is made here in the USA. As such, the plastic plates are much more robust (we have exceptionally good mold-injection machines here in the States; Chinese plastic is less dense because the product designers are trying to minimize weight for overseas shipment, donchaknow). The downside is the cost-per-unit; with less units produced here in the States, by a company with EPA and OSHA oversight compliance, and paying American labor standards, the cost is well over $200 per unit.

Now, Douglas does draw a bit of ire because they too use sofa cushion foam. But at least they have the decency to say so. To call a spade a spade. Douglas does redeem itself in how it has demonstrated outstanding customer service, going so far as to remedy any problems or add gap protection upon personal request. I have a hunch that its a legal matter – something in some licensing or patent contract somewhere – that prohibits Douglas from "improving" the stock model by putting the gap protection on the produced-for-retail-sale unit, otherwise they likely would have done so by now.

All this makes you wonder... where does that $200 for a Wilson CP actually go, considering Wilson hasn't upgraded a thing on either of them in nearly 10 years?

Ask @KenBAZ, I'm incredibly envious of the Douglas because of the silhouette it cuts. I may favor and wear a Schutt XV because of how lightweight and well-ventilated it is, but I keep longing for a sleeker CP. There's an umpire we know in Phoenix here who looks incredibly trim, athletic and sleek, and it has alot to do with the Douglas that he wears...

... that and the locker-room yoga he conducts before every game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...