Rizzo/Hedges

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2473 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Should Rizzo have slid?

For your reference:

(i) (7.13) Collisions at Home Plate

(1) A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate), or otherwise initiate an avoidable collision. If, in the judgment of the umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the umpire shall declare the runner out (regardless of whether the player covering home plate maintains possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 6.01(i) (Rule 7.13).

Rule 6.01(i)(1) Comment (Rule 7.13(1) Comment): The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner’s lowering of the shoulder, or the runner’s pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 6.01(i) (Rule 7.13), or otherwise initiated a collision that could have been avoided. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner’s buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. If a catcher blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall not find that the runner initiated an avoidable collision in violation of this Rule 6.01(i)(1) (Rule 7.13(1)).

45 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

Should Rizzo have slid?

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/51231442/v1516042483/sdchc-hedges-hangs-on-after-collision-for-the-out

For your reference:

(i) (7.13) Collisions at Home Plate

(1) A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate), or otherwise initiate an avoidable collision. If, in the judgment of the umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the umpire shall declare the runner out (regardless of whether the player covering home plate maintains possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 6.01(i) (Rule 7.13).

Rule 6.01(i)(1) Comment (Rule 7.13(1) Comment): The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner’s lowering of the shoulder, or the runner’s pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 6.01(i) (Rule 7.13), or otherwise initiated a collision that could have been avoided. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner’s buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. If a catcher blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall not find that the runner initiated an avoidable collision in violation of this Rule 6.01(i)(1) (Rule 7.13(1)).

See highlighting for why he wasn't out.

9 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

See highlighting for why he wasn't out.

Understood, but I would disagree based upon this wording:

A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner’s buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher.

Rizzo Hedges.JPG

• Like 3

Looks like a model violation of the rule to me.  Catcher has possession of the ball and not blocking the plate, runner deviates from his path and initiates avoidable contact while still on his feet.  Out.  At the levels I work (below college), the out mechanic and the eject mechanic would be almost one motion.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, conbo61 said:

Understood, but I would disagree based upon this wording:

A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner’s buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher.

Rizzo Hedges.JPG

Nice job on the screen shot. That's a great one. 

• Like 1

Plate was not blocked.  

Runner deviated from his path away from the plate and into the catcher.

There was no slide, just body-to-body collision. 

Runner, if he wanted to deviate his path, could have gone to his right and made an attempt to touch the plate.

I don't think the HPU should have waited to see if the ball was held.   

6 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Let's see if a little chin music is in order tonight???? or later this year. keep this play in mind for future reference.

Nope.  Rizzo hits a lead-off homer, on the 2nd pitch of the game.    But then again, the Padres had Jhoulys Chacin pitching, so it wasn't like Rizzo was facing an actual MLB pitcher.

4 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Nope.  Rizzo hits a lead-off homer, on the 2nd pitch of the game.    But then again, the Padres had Jhoulys Chacin pitching, so it wasn't like Rizzo was facing an actual MLB pitcher.

I will assume no dramatic bat flip having not seen the home run. Well, if nothing happens this afternoon, obviously we are now into the later this year part of the phrase or even the future reference part. Spring training has even been known as a place to settle some past disagreements from the regular season.

Something situation like this on the bases or in the last meeting of a team for the year, and on your last at bat against a club in the 8th inning, you do a overly dramatic bat flip. The next time to show your displeasure with that act would be Spring Training, and elephants never forget.

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

I will assume no dramatic bat flip having not seen the home run. Well, if nothing happens this afternoon, obviously we are now into the later this year part of the phrase or even the future reference part. Spring training has even been known as a place to settle some past disagreements from the regular season.

Something situation like this on the bases or in the last meeting of a team for the year, and on your last at bat against a club in the 8th inning, you do a overly dramatic bat flip. The next time to show your displeasure with that act would be Spring Training, and elephants never forget.

You're right, no bat flip, no drama. Just a monster 4-bagger to start the game.  A virtual thumb in the eyes of the Padres team.

MLB decision was pretty muted, not to mention gutless, IMO.

Rizzo's statements after the decision were farcical.  No intent?   An instinctive play?  Baloney Sandwich.  The wrong guy was injured. 

SD Manager Green's comments almost guaranteed no retaliation.   And as an aside, the Padres are 1.5 games ahead of the Giants.   For the cellar.  A mere 18.5 out of first.  In the third week of June.   And their fans will wonder why.

4 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

And as an aside, the Padres are 1.5 games ahead of the Giants.   For the cellar.  A mere 18.5 out of first.  In the third week of June.   And their fans will wonder why.

Uhh, no they won't. The padres were projected to be one of the worst teams in baseball this year.

2 hours ago, udbrky said:

What basis is there for a suspension? No historical. What'd Utley get for taking out Tejada? 2 games? That was malicious. This slide was not malicious. It was illegal.

I see this as a difference between trying to dislodge the ball from the player, and trying to dislodge the head from the player.   This is the former.