Father's Day Masks

acpar72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2317 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

33 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

Am I the only one that wants the Father's Day mask?  I think it would be a great gift!  @JimKirk any chance we will see it available for sale? 

They look really really cool. And they aren't as obnoxious as the pink or camo masks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I've stated this in a facebook post ............ I think it would look better overall with a standard black mask and harness, and just have the blue pads!

Funny, I was thinking blue mask with black harness and either black pads, or gray and black pads. At any rate, It's a bit too much blue in it's current configuration.

• Like 3

I believe the cause behind wearing those masks is great.  

Personally, I'm not a fan of the light blue and pink masks. As an umpire, the less attention I'm drawing to myself the better for game management. I also think it's more difficult to take an umpire wearing those masks seriously - just my opinion.

I'd be fine myself wearing more discrete signs of support - e.g., blue/pink wristbands or pins or patches.

Also, where is a tasteful line to draw when it comes to customized masks?  Do we expect someday to see patriotic-themed masks (red upper padding, blue lower padding, white frame) for July 4? Or camo pads for Memorial Day weekend?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scotty_Ump said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of the light blue and pink masks. As an umpire, the less attention I'm drawing to myself the better for game management. I also think it's more difficult to take an umpire wearing those masks seriously - just my opinion.

I'd be fine myself wearing more discrete signs of support - e.g., blue/pink wristbands or pins or patches.

Also, where is a tasteful line to draw when it comes to customized masks?  Do we expect someday to see patriotic-themed masks (red upper padding, blue lower padding, white frame) for July 4? Or camo pads for Memorial Day weekend?

MLB had camo masks and pads for memorial day this year

On 6/20/2017 at 7:32 AM, Thunderheads said:

I've stated this in a facebook post ............ I think it would look better overall with a standard black mask and harness, and just have the blue pads!

On 6/20/2017 at 7:42 AM, blue32 said:

Funny, I was thinking blue mask with black harness and either black pads, or gray and black pads. At any rate, It's a bit too much blue in it's current configuration.

My my my, how people soon forget the pioneers. Behold:

IMG_2792.thumb.JPG.a8b99e5f6edb309d949ea4c7e9a1cca6.JPG

I've been rocking this custom powder coated Bay Blue Metallic mask since the top of March! I wear it any time I've got a Sky Blue or Bermuda Blue shirt on. And yes, I wore it on Father's Day.

On 6/20/2017 at 8:19 AM, mbkcoach said:

I want one! Is this one aluminum?

Yes, that's an Aluminum DynaLite (nicknamed "DynAlum"). Notice the rounded ear guards.

4 hours ago, Scotty_Ump said:

I'm taken plenty seriously as an umpire. There's something to be said about complementing and completing the details of the style you're projecting in regards to game management and aptitude. If I show up in faded combo pants, no plate shoes, shinguards with big toe caps on them, one "utility" ball bag, a Ping powder blue golf shirt, and a royal blue catchers mask (double-wire eyeport and big square earguards), like my neighbor PU did at the complex the other day, I may have problems being taken seriously – by coaches as well as fellow umpires.

If I was a HSM-wearer (which I'm not and like never will be), I would so get the All-Star System 7 in digital camo black-n-grey. That'd be a badass look for an umpire.

Tasteful line? I think it looks far more garish to see black masks and black pads teamed with navy shirts! Thus, so long as navy shirts are still in active use, then such masks as the one that is a member of my arsenal of masks will still have a, rather tasteful and appropriate, purpose.

IMG_2803.thumb.JPG.7cd117e58e636b032c8b3875daffd69c.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I'm taken plenty seriously as an umpire. There's something to be said about complementing and completing the details of the style you're projecting in regards to game management and aptitude. If I show up in faded combo pants, no plate shoes, shinguards with big toe caps on them, one "utility" ball bag, a Ping powder blue golf shirt, and a royal blue catchers mask (double-wire eyeport and big square earguards), like my neighbor PU did at the complex the other day, I may have problems being taken seriously – by coaches as well as fellow umpires.

Agreed - you got to look sharp from the moment you step onto the field. I guess my style is more subdued and traditional, like dressing for a job interview. So I don't accessorize with "loud" colors.

21 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I think it looks far more garish to see black masks and black pads teamed with navy shirts!

YES!  Anytime I'm wearing navy I've got the matte grey Wilson bucket or a silver Diamond w/tan pads. Never liked the black mask with navy.

14 hours ago, Scotty_Ump said:

You do understand that this is coming down from above to the MLB umpires .....   "wear this stuff on these days please ".....it's a part of their contract

On 6/22/2017 at 4:27 AM, Thunderheads said:

You do understand that this is coming down from above to the MLB umpires .....   "wear this stuff on these days please ".....it's a part of their contract

Get the feeling they don't say "please."

• Like 1

• 5 months later...