Ball hit umpire while on the field

Guest Guest Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2477 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Guest Mike

I was walking my dog by the ball field the other and started watching a youth game and saw a play and did not understand,could you explain it to me please.There was a runner on first base and the batter hit a ball that took a crazy bounce and hit the umpire.I thought they said the batter was out and they sent the runner back to first base,is that correct?

8 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Guest Guest Mike said:

I was walking my dog by the ball field the other and started watching a youth game and saw a play and did not understand,could you explain it to me please.There was a runner on first base and the batter hit a ball that took a crazy bounce and hit the umpire.I thought they said the batter was out and they sent the runner back to first base,is that correct?

I am not sure why they did that. If it hit the umpire before it got to a fielder, then the batter gets 1B, and all runners advance if forced. If it hits him after going by fielders, it is a live ball.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Mike said:

1 hour ago, maineump said:

I am not sure why they did that. If it hit the umpire before it got to a fielder, then the batter gets 1B, and all runners advance if forced. If it hits him after going by fielders, it is a live ball.

My guess is, that the highlighted part explains it (making some assumptions about the experience of the umpire).  Not that it makes it right.

I think that sometimes in rules interpretation clinics or sessions, we focus on the rule and under emphasize the application/penalty. 

The developing umpires probably called umpire interference correctly, but didn't know what to do afterwards. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, maineump said:

Well, if I was an umpire and you hit a line drive at me, I'd be pretty pissed.  :)

On 6/14/2017 at 5:08 PM, maineump said:

I was thinking this only applied when it was a batted ball in the air. Is it on the ground as well?

I've seen too many umpires use 90-foot mechanics on a 60-foot field. I suggested to one that he move outside the baselines, he told me he'd been doing this a long time and he's never been hit. 2 batters later, he took a hard-hit one hopper to the thigh. He moved outside the baseline after that.