What should be upgraded first?

Storm13
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2496 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am looking at upgrading some gear over the next few months but not sure what I should upgrade first.
--Rawlings Ti Mask with TW pads
--Champion  P210 Chest Protector
--Champion Sports Single Knee Umpire Leg 
--NuttyBuddy cup
--New Balance MU460 Umpire Plate Shoes

4 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

I am looking at upgrading some gear over the next few months but not sure what I should upgrade first.
--NuttyBuddy cup

I'd hang on to those shoes (assuming they are V2);  there seem to be some issues coming to light regarding the V3 shoes.

My trade-up from this list would be the CP first, then the shins.     

Assuming that your list is what you have and are looking to upgrade, I'd probably start with the mask, or at least new pads, if the TWs are a little tired, to minimize risk of head injury. Then, depending on the level you work and want more protection, I'd probably upgrade the chest protector, then the shin guards. Head/face, heart/ribs/shoulders, legs/knees, in that order. Anyway, that's my thinking.

Those are all good, stout choices, that will protect you well at all levels.

But let me ask you. Is there any piece that doesn't fit you well? Fit is so often overlooked, but I'd start there.

Do you have an upgraded harness for the P210? Smitty golf pants? Tights?

4 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

I'd hang on to those shoes (assuming they are V2);  there seem to be some issues coming to light regarding the V3 shoes.

My trade-up from this list would be the CP first, then the shins.     

What issues on the shoes?

4 hours ago, Storm13 said:

--NuttyBuddy cup

If you can swing it I'd get the Force 3 shin guards.

• Like 4

The fading and the ball marks that won't go away.

If they are still comfortable, take them to a cobbler before throwing them out. A good cobbler has a way of making faded blacks into true blacks again that will last for several years. My dad has a favorite pair of loafers that have been re-dyed (?) a few times.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not that I'm a super expert or anything...but upgrading my stock harness on the P200 to an F3 harness made a HUGE difference in how well it fit and stayed in it's proper place. I don't see a need to upgrade from that unless you are doing some very high level stuff. I would probably concur with upgrading the shins to F3 if I had to pick something on your list....you have a pretty good setup there as it is.

4 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

If they are still comfortable, take them to a cobbler before throwing them out. A good cobbler has a way of making faded blacks into true blacks again that will last for several years. My dad has a favorite pair of loafers that have been re-dyed (?) a few times.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I haven't experienced these issues myself;  they have been reported by a couple of U-E members recently.   With the high gloss finish on the NBv3, I don't think that dying is going to work.    

4 hours ago, Storm13 said:

--NuttyBuddy cup

Is there a particular piece of equipment here that makes you question its protective ability? If yes, start with that.

I am not familiar with the Champion CP, but I am of the opinion that your protective gear monies should be first invested in a mask, CP, shoes, cup and shins.

My $0.02

10 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I'd say F3 shins as well. Every time I take one off the shin or knee I literally feel nothing,.....and I smile :D

Totally agree - took one straight to the knee cap the other day, untouched pitch, didn't feel it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Storm13 said:

--NuttyBuddy cup

Mask is an excellent rig, good for anything. 

I have a lot of respect for that CP, it'll keep you safe for a strong majority of levels. 

Replace the shins. F3 are the best I've ever come across, but I know they're pricey. Definitely worth it. 

Nutty buddy for days. 

The plate shoes are fine, just not the best thing in the world. Plenty of protection. 

• Like 2

@Storm13...

• Mask: The Rawlings Titanium mask itself is, as long as it isn't bent, an optimum model to use. No need, other than aesthetics, to change it. Depending on the age of the pads, you may want to change them. An alternative idea is to get another inexpensive mask frame, such as a Diamond DFM, Honig's K4/9, or +POS ZRO-G, and put your current TW pads in it while putting a new set of TW pads in your Rawlings Ti. This other mask would become your spare or "light duty" (think LL or anything sub-12U), while your Rawlings Ti, freshly fitted out with new TW pads (or Wilson MemFoams, if you're inclined), would become your "heavy duty" mask. Best practice is to bring / have two masks at game venues.
  • CP: Actually, that Champion P210 is a very good CP. I would be completely confident using one. My loathing disdain for Wilson products has alot to do with this Champion CP. Why's that? Because there is little more than cosmetic difference between the Champion P210 and the Wilson units... that cost three times as much!!! And, I'd like to think that the foam vest on the Champion breathes better.
  • Shinguards: I'll echo everyone else who's mentioned the single-best-investment-for-the-most-effective-return-on-that-investment – the Force3 Ultimates. You'll never have to buy another set ever again, barring a dog chewing them up, or loss, or theft, or SWOWTBONTBF* pawns them or sets them afire.
  • Personal Protector: My favor to the Nutty Buddy has waned a bit. Not because it hasn't been protective; oh, it so very has. However, I'm willing to give a Shock Doctor or a DiamondMMA a go because these two have larger, gentler surface area on the edge of the piece that makes contact with you.
  • Plate Shoes: Unfortunately, the only two plate shoes of consequence are the New Balance MU460v3's and the 3N2 Reactions. Keep in mind we are poised for a massive shake-up in the industry because UnderArmour is looming on the horizon. It is not only imperative that your feet are protected, but also that they fit and feel fine inside.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

SWOWTBONTBF

OK, you've got me here. I'm stumped.

As far as "the boys" go, I'd stick with the Nutty Buddy. Easily the most comfortable for wearing, especially on those long days, and as everybody else here has said, great on protection, too.

And I'll second (or 3rd, 4th, whatever) the F3 shins. A couple of weeks ago at a tourney I had an inside pitch come in and I heard a noise that my brain was trying to interpret - bat wasn't swung, too far away from the batter to be a HBP, didn't sound like a catcher's glove. Then I realized it hit my shin guards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm13 said:

Looking at the F3 shins and has anyone had problems with the strap clips breaking?  If they do break what would be the fix?

Got mine in May of 2015, and have done Plate games numbering in the hundreds since that time – haven't had an issue with them yet, including a clip breaking. If it's a male end, Force3 makes available replacement straps. If it's a female end (tougher to break), I'm sure something can be done to remedy it.

No metal clips means no rusting or corrosion, and no coming unhooked at an inopportune time. I actually have umpires here requesting me to change the metal hook-clips and rings on their Honig's or Wilson shinguards to side-release buckles (which the plastic ones are) to enjoy the convenience and cleanliness that these fasteners bring.

I'm also drilling out rivets, removing toe guards, and cutting arcs in shinguards so as to accommodate the latest New Balance MU460V3's with their high(er) metatarsal guard... but that's another story. The Force3 Ultimates are just done right.

Oh, sorry, SWOWTBONTBF = She Who Once Was To Be Obeyed, Now To Be Feared (for doing crazy things, like setting your umpire gear afire)

• Like 1