Blocking the plate?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2481 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Parsing the NCAA rule does no good. You have to parse their video interps. This bold is a conclusion I reached in a response in an earlier thread:

Another poster: 

that's where I'm getting stuck, as I see the catcher protected with the it shall not be considered a violation if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in a legitimate attempt to field the throw, (e.g., in reaction to the direction, trajectory or the hop of the incoming throw.

It seems the bobble of the ball is still part of the legitimate attempt to field the ball based on the hop, so I'm not seeing the obstruction here.

I can't tell if Maven is saying the same thing with his quote at the end of his great post, or if that's what he's replying to and essentially arguing against the highlighted part of the rule.

My response;

Based on the latest NCAA video I would say the highlighted should read as follows: it shall not be considered a violation if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner WHILE in an attempt to field the ball. In the OP and on the new NCAA video the catchers, who could field the throw from RF out of the baseline, both try to block the plate while fielding the throw. Their movement into the baseline was not a necessary reaction to the throw.

The video clearly shows F2 on his right knee.    The first time we see F2 and the runner in this video, the runner is roughly equal and at least 6 to 8 feet into the dirt circle.

Why else would the runner have taken the path that he did if not for F2 being on the baseline, and on his right knee?    

Wow.    

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Screen grabs from NCAA rule videos. Both legal as ball is on the way. Catcher can block plate with some body part while the ball is within 60'. That movement of the body part does not have to be a neccessary movement for fielding the ball.

legal.jpg

legal2.jpg

OK, so that's roughly 60 feet, give or take.   We can't see in the video where and what F2's movement might have been until the ball hops just in front of the plate, so we can assume that it's all legal as far as his positioning goes in receiving the ball.

But even on the 'rough' video here, the runner touches home plate.    If they did a video review, the question of OBS is a moot point anyway.   Am I seeing things or did the runner not touch the very point of the plate?