Register or Sign In to remove these ads
udbrky

Coach keeps wanting to get games filled the day before

6 posts in this topic

A little bit of a rant I guess.

I did a travel game for a buddy Wednesday. It was his team (15U) vs Legion team (19U). 

He and I were going to do Legion's game the next night, but they changed the time. They were supposed to let me know if he wanted me to find a partner for the next day.

So he texts me at 2:30 for a 5:00 game. I tell him I was already busy - picked up a game at 8:00.

So he texts me after 8 on Thursday, wanting to find umps for Friday at 5:00. I text all my contacts, nobody can do it, unsurprisingly.

He texts me this morning for a DH tomorrow. I told him everyone's pretty booked in the summer and it's best to go through an assignor and give him games so they can schedule at least a week in advance. 

Just a little irritated that he thinks he can find umpires on such short notice each time.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
On 6/10/2017 at 1:01 PM, udbrky said:

A little bit of a rant I guess.

I did a travel game for a buddy Wednesday. It was his team (15U) vs Legion team (19U). 

He and I were going to do Legion's game the next night, but they changed the time. They were supposed to let me know if he wanted me to find a partner for the next day.

So he texts me at 2:30 for a 5:00 game. I tell him I was already busy - picked up a game at 8:00.

So he texts me after 8 on Thursday, wanting to find umps for Friday at 5:00. I text all my contacts, nobody can do it, unsurprisingly.

He texts me this morning for a DH tomorrow. I told him everyone's pretty booked in the summer and it's best to go through an assignor and give him games so they can schedule at least a week in advance. 

Just a little irritated that he thinks he can find umpires on such short notice each time.

At least they are contacting you. We did a summer ball tournament this weekend. Friday and Saturday has less than  ideal weather. They inform the teams of cancellations and such. The leave us in the dark. Their excuse why they didn't call, email, or text our assignor... "well, we tweeted it out." :bang:

haha

last hs game, day before sectionals, the two teams no showed us too

On 6/12/2017 at 1:23 AM, BT_Blue said:

At least they are contacting you. We did a summer ball tournament this weekend. Friday and Saturday has less than  ideal weather. They inform the teams of cancellations and such. The leave us in the dark. Their excuse why they didn't call, email, or text our assignor... "well, we tweeted it out." :bang:

I actually don't mind this because when we show up with no advance notice of cancellation we still get paid around here. Ill show up for 10 minutes to collect a game fee :cheers:

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, taa71458 said:

I actually don't mind this because when we show up with no advance notice of cancellation we still get paid around here. Ill show up for 10 minutes to collect a game fee :cheers:

Oh... we got the same. But one of the teams travelled from Boise (a 5 or 6 hour drive) to play. They were there at the field with us for a hour and a half plus, waiting for information.

Partner and I showed up for a tournament game last week... I was to have the plate and it is a chilly 87 degrees. Game on the field is going a little long so partner and I are hanging out in our civies... game is going into the 7th and we start paying attention that there is no teams warming up or milling around. We ask a couple parents if the two on the field are doing a double header? Nope...

Game ends and the 2 guys working the game come off the field... "oh, your game was cancelled at 9am this morning". 

Tell me... how do the guys on the field who have nothing to do with our game know and we who are assigned have no idea?

Ohh well... game fee for showing and never having to chance clothes!