LL Coach

Guest Carl Carlson
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2478 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Carl Carlson

LL rules.  Regulation XIV (f) and Rule 3.09 prohibit a coach warming up a pitcher.  Questions:

1.  Can a coach warm up a player who is a non-pitcher?  I can find no rule or regulation which mentions non-pitchers. 

2.  If yes to #1, when does a player become a pitcher?  Game time?  Some set time before the game starts?  

3.  Does the rule apply differently to the starting pitcher vs. a potential reliever (which in LL might be more than half the team)?

Situation:  As coach I typically show up early to get the gear in order and prepare the field.  When completed can I play catch with my son if no other kids have arrived yet?  Or if some have arrived but I have an odd number?  

9 answers to this question

Don't squat like a catcher to warm up a pitcher at the game site--pre game, in game, or bullpen.   That's really all it comes down to.  LLI doesn't want you screwing it up and hurting yourself and suing them.  #can'tproveitstillbelieveit

I have no problem with warming up a kid to fill out the odd number (although can no one do three way any more?) or even warming up the right/left fielder IF you have no bench players.  Otherwise, leave the game to the kids; we adults screw it up enough as it is.

• Like 2

Pre-game, I'll leave you alone if you are just playing catch and no other players are standing around. During the game, leave it alone. 

Also, you don't need to suit up a catcher to warm up a pitchers arm. Send 2 players to the bullpen and have them play catch. Make sure they're both standing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister B said:

Pre-game, I'll leave you alone if you are just playing catch and no other players are standing around. During the game, leave it alone. 

Also, you don't need to suit up a catcher to warm up a pitchers arm. Send 2 players to the bullpen and have them play catch. Make sure they're both standing. 

Kid warming up the pitcher only needs helmet and mask.  See 1.17

7 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Kid warming up the pitcher only needs helmet and mask.  See 1.17

I've seen a lot of teams with only one set of catcher's gear. Personally, I find it quicker and more effective to have them play catch. If I send them into pitch, there's usually a ton of passed balls and it seems to take 5 extra minutes to find a helmet and/or catcher's glove. Throwing a catching warms up their arm properly without stressing it out. 

25 minutes ago, Mister B said:

I've seen a lot of teams with only one set of catcher's gear. Personally, I find it quicker and more effective to have them play catch. If I send them into pitch, there's usually a ton of passed balls and it seems to take 5 extra minutes to find a helmet and/or catcher's glove. Throwing a catching warms up their arm properly without stressing it out. 

There's more to warming up than just getting the arm warm.

Ask the league for another helmet so you can meet the warm,-up rules.   Mitt not required.

I've never seen a team with only one helmet.

22 minutes ago, Mister B said:

You're doing it wrong.

Give the helmet and mitt to a player before the half inning ends.  He should hold them in his hands.  When it time to warm up, send out that player with the helmet and mitt (and his hat and glove if he plays another position in this inning) while the actual catcher puts on the shin guards and chest protector.  When the actual catcher has on the shin guards and chest protector on, he should run out to the plate.  The other player hands him the mitt and helmet.  If he's sitting out, the other player returns to the dugout.  If he's playing a position, he picks up his glove and hat and goes there.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, Rich Ives said:

There's more to warming up than just getting the arm warm.

Ask the league for another helmet so you can meet the warm,-up rules.   Mitt not required.

I've never seen a team with only one helmet.

For our league, a catcher's mitt is required (our interpretation of 1.12 and definition of Catcher in 2.00).

2 hours ago, ousafe said:

For our league, a catcher's mitt is required (our interpretation of 1.12 and definition of Catcher in 2.00).

The temp warmup player is not the catcher. He's not in the game. He doesn't have a position. And he doesn't need foul ball protection which is also why he doesn't need shin guards and chest protector.

• Like 1

To answer the OP... 

I love watching Dad's play catch with their kids. Have fun and enjoy that time as it will be gone sooner than you think! So answer #1, yes absolutely you may play catch and warm up players, including the pitcher until he starts acting as a pitcher. This includes down the lines in the outfield prior to the game.

When you go from playing catch to squatting you are now 'catching'. This is the time you need a player in there even if your 'pitcher' is not throwing hard. 

LL wants PLAYERS playing the game. They fully understand that not every kid on the team is going to receive optimum playing time and want them to have the opportunity to participate as much as possible. Warming up the pitcher gets them playing time even when not in the game. It also possibly gives them additional experience in a position they may not normally play even though it is not a live ball situation. 

Lastly coaches catching using the excuse of "I need to see how he is throwing" or other such dribble need to realize that the time for correcting and practicing was during practice and not just before or during the game... this is the time for the players to play... If they have not digested what you have been teaching I highly doubt the extra 5 minutes you want to work with them is going to make a difference.

• Like 1