Throat Guard

coachump4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2481 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have the Wilson FX Shock 2.0 Steel helmet and looking to add a Wilson Gold Throat Guard. My question is should I get the 4 or 6 inch? I use the scissor stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that stance, most folks have a lot of neck exposed, and a guard dangling off the end of a HSM may not offer much real protection.

Try this: Get your helmet and chest protector. Drop into your stance, and have someone take a picture of you from the side. Then you can make an educated choice.

Strongly recommend the 6" version.   The 4" may not be long enough to make contact with your CP in the event of a ball coming up.
And .... just my $0.02, but you might want to leave the scissor stance behind.   

Thanks for the advice think I will stick to the scissors done it for 12 years and only way I feel comfortable.

21 minutes ago, coachump4 said:

Thanks for the advice think I will stick to the scissors done it for 12 years and only way I feel comfortable.

Try the Gerry Davis stance. I worked scissors for years. Tried the GD stance and will never go back.

4 hours ago, coachump4 said:

Improvise.

Adapt.

Overcome. 

12 years, huh?

I spent 12 years in submarines.  You won't see me waking up at midnight for no good reason, and pretending there's a fire in the torpedo room, flooding in the engine room and a reactor scram all at once.  Get out of that ( dangerous) comfort zone.

29 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Improvise.

Adapt.

Overcome. 

12 years, huh?

I spent 12 years in submarines.  You won't see me waking up at midnight for no good reason, and pretending there's a fire in the torpedo room, flooding in the engine room and a reactor scram all at once.  Get out of that ( dangerous) comfort zone.

Could be sticky buns in the galley after mid rats is done.  Wish I was still riding boats. Best bunch of guys ever. What boats were you on?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UMP45 said:

Try the Gerry Davis stance. I worked scissors for years. Tried the GD stance and will never go back.

Been using the GD before it became the GD.  It helped me in keeping still.

Just now, umpstu said:

Could be sticky buns in the galley after mid rats is done.  Wish I was still riding boats. Best bunch of guys ever. What boats were you on?

Midrats followed by a movie is. ALWAYS a good reason to be up, even if I was 24/7 on call in ESM.  

SSN 685 USS GLENARD P. LIPSCOMB 

SSN 716 USS SALT LAKE CITY 

"Fast attack tough"

One boat, one crew, one shaft, one  screw. :)

16 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Midrats followed by a movie is. ALWAYS a good reason to be up, even if I was 24/7 on call in ESM.  

SSN 685 USS GLENARD P. LIPSCOMB 

SSN 716 USS SALT LAKE CITY 

"Fast attack tough"

One boat, one crew, one shaft, one  screw. :)

USS Barbel, USS Birmingham and USS Parche.

• Like 1

Just now, BrianC14 said:

Well we sure punched some holes in some familiar spots in the oceans.

I got out in '88.  

77 - 95.  Got to do some really cool stuff while serving.

Thanks for your service. 

Back on topic, I'm a shorter guy (5'10") and wear my CP up high. It's a bulkier CP so it sticks out in front. When I tried a 6", it was constantly getting hung up and hitting my CP. So I prefer the 4". YMMV.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 0:47 PM, Mister B said:

Thanks for your service. 

Back on topic, I'm a shorter guy (5'10") and wear my CP up high. It's a bulkier CP so it sticks out in front. When I tried a 6", it was constantly getting hung up and hitting my CP. So I prefer the 4". YMMV.

That's what it's supposed to do.   If it misses hitting the cp, the next stop is the Adams apple.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:47 AM, Mister B said:

Thanks for your service. 

I have the Zett, which is closer to 8 inches (hey... size does matter). I've had times during the spring (and who am I kidding with this Pacific Northwest weather) and parts of summer, with it hanging up on my jacket if it is unzipped to a certain point.

3 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

That's what it's supposed to do.   If it misses hitting the cp, the next stop is the Adams apple.

The 4" hits my CP, the 6" gets hung up on my CP when I turn my head with my mask on. When I go into my crouch, the 6" is touching my CP and sometime will catch and move the mask. Not a huge amount, but enough to just make me feel it.