Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Guest Leprechaun

Dropped third confusion

Question

Pony league baseball.  Bases loaded, one out.  Dropped third strike, offensive coach yells dropped third, throw to first.  R1 has a lead, is confused, and takes a bigger lead.  1B tags R1, is he out or is this forced interference by the coach.  For what it's worth coach admitted he messed up on his part.

13 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Guest Leprechaun said:

Pony league baseball.  Bases loaded, one out.  Dropped third strike, offensive coach yells dropped third, throw to first.  R1 has a lead, is confused, and takes a bigger lead.  1B tags R1, is he out or is this forced interference by the coach.  For what it's worth coach admitted he messed up on his part.

He's out. Your own coach can't interfere with you.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Well then where's the 1B coach yelling back?

Sorry but R1 and the coach should know what the situation requires. 

1 person likes this

What age is Pony League? That will affect how much R1 is presumed to know.

We usually see this question asked where the defense throws the ball away and the runner(s) advance(s).  We ALWAYS give the ruling, "Play on -- the defense is supposed to know the situation."

This play just shows that the offense is supposed to know the situation, too.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Well, regardless of any confusion, or the circumstances, I'm not sure how telling your catcher to throw to first would be interference under any circumstances.

There's a runner on first base - the defense is allowed to throw there and the coach is allowed to tell him to do so.

And the first base coach is allowed to tell the runner to get back to first.

The runner's out, even in Pony League.

I am a little confused (okay I am always confused ;) )

why isn't the batter automatically out (R1<2outs)? R1 out on pick off; three outs inning over. 

FWIW, Little League (Western Region) teaches our umpires in this situation to emphatically call (and signal) "He's out! He's out! He's still out!"  Seems like it takes away an opportunity for a "deke" play, but that's what is taught.

8 hours ago, BCBrad said:

why isn't the batter automatically out (R1<2outs)? R1 out on pick off; three outs inning over. 

The batter was out. This is about the runner on 1B getting off the base and being tagged out.

8 hours ago, BCBrad said:

The batter is out.  The question is whether or not the defensive coach (incorrectly) yelling "dropped third strike, throw to first" and (unintentionally) confusing R1 meets any threshold for interference.   It does not.

19 hours ago, LRZ said:

What age is Pony League? That will affect how much R1 is presumed to know.

Pony is 14U, played on 55/80 field.  At this age, they should know when U3K applies.

Live ball with a runner tagged off the base. He's out. Now if F3 tagged 1B we'd have nothing, and if the 3B coach was paying attention, as soon as the throw went to F3, R3 would be halfway home. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor