6.01 (b) Fielder Right of Way

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2490 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

(b) (7.11) Fielder Right of Way The players, coaches or any member of a team at bat shall vacate any space (including both dugouts or bullpens) needed by a fielder who is attempting to field a batted or thrown ball. If a member of the team at bat (other than a runner) hinders a fielder’s attempt to catch or field a batted ball, the ball is dead, the batter is declared out and all runners return to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch. If a member of the team at bat (other than a runner) hinders a fielder’s attempt to field a thrown ball, the ball is dead, the runner on whom the play is being made shall be declared out and all runners return to the last legally occupied base at the time of the interference.

would you apply this rule to F5 being struck in the arm by a ball boy in foul territory attempting to vacate the area the fielder in attempting to catch a pop up?

Just happened in the Mets - Brewers game.

5 answers to this question

I would NOT apply that rule.  I'd apply this:

(d) (3.15) Unintentional Interference
In case of unintentional interference with play by any person herein
authorized to be on the playing field (except members of the team
at bat who are participating in the game, or a base coach, any of
whom interfere with a fielder attempting to field a batted or thrown
ball; or an umpire) the ball is alive and in play. If the interference is
intentional, the ball shall be dead at the moment of the interference
and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will
nullify the act of interference.

There's also this from MLBUM (emphasis added):

6.16 INTERFERENCE BY PERSON AUTHORIZED TO BE ON PLAYING FIELD
Any act by a person authorized to be on the field under Official Baseball Rule 3.15 in which he
voluntarily touches a ball in play is to be considered "intentional" interference. The ball is dead
when touched and such penalty imposed as will nullify the interference. A ball that in the
umpire's judgment "accidentally" touches any person authorized to be on the field under Official
Baseball Rule 3.15 should be considered "unintentional" and the ball is alive and in play.
If a person authorized to be on the field unintentionally interferes with a fielder attempting to
make a play, the ball is alive and in play.

And from J/R:

An authorized person is a person who is not team personnel, but whose presence on 3.15
LBT (or in the dugout) is authorized by home team management. Examples of such
persons would be security guards, bat boys/girls, ball boys/girls, mascots, photographers,
etc.
Interference has occurred when a person authorized to be on the field
(a) intentionally touches or strikes a live ball.
(b) intentionally hinders a fielder when such fielder is trying to field a live batted or
thrown ball.
EG: A ball girl seated near the right field bullpen grabs a ball, not aware that such ball is in play.
It is not interference when a person authorized to be on the field
(a) unintentionally touches or strikes a ball.
(b) intentionally touches an airborne batted ball that has no chance of becoming
fair or caught.
(c) unintentionally hinders a fielder's try to field a ball.
E.G.: On a pop fly near the dugout a photographer scrambles to avoid the third
baseman, but hinders him anyway, and the fielder drops the fly ball.

• Like 4

I fail to see the reason for arguing like Collins did.  File a protest and be done with it.  It's either a misapplication of the rule or it isn't.   The only judgment part is whether or not there was intent, and I can't see anyone, biased or not, in realtime or not, viewing this as intentional.

I would question that a bat boy should be on the field at that time.  I know a bat boy is authorized to be on the field, but you'd think there should be some context - there's no reason for a batboy to be on the field, especially where he was sitting, and not in a dugout, while a live play is occurring.