Unseen

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2495 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some know I am the UIC of my local LL (again). Went to a game as a spectator last night (and evaluating JR umpires).  Sat up close to the fence at 1BL extended.  it was a 9-10 minors game, and given the usual chatter, I'd throw in a "nice hit" , "good dig" or "great play" and use their name when I did so.  The kids kept looking at me with the deer in the headlights look.  About the 4th inning, one of the coaches stopped on his way to 3B box and said, "My son always says he enjoys the games that you umpire.  Would you believe he just asked me who that was talking to the players?  After I told him it was you, it was then that I realized that they don't recognize you without a uniform and facemask on."  Needless to say, we got a good chuckle out of it.  After that, the players kind of gave me a sheepishly half hearted wave when they came up to bat as if in an apologetic acknowledgment.

• Like 3