hit by pitch not ruled in maryland-purdue

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2515 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Concerning the language, this has gone on forever. It's just that now there are microphones everywhere. It's an institution's decision to penalize a coach or player for profanity. It's starting to clean up a little bit simply because administrations are getting copies of our ejection reports detailing the language used. The media is going to have to catch up with baseball and do the 7 second delays that they have in football and basketball or quit putting microphones all over the place.

The NCAA isn't going to crack down on language. That's a slippery slope. The NAIA is dealing with that now. What is considered profanity? Damn, hell, crap? What I consider profanity is not what the next guy considers profanity. What do you do with a coach when you ask him how they're doing and he responds "Not worth a damn"?

Maybe the NCAA should include George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV in the rulebook........

Even in the low-level NCAA ball I do that casual profanity is rampant.  I've had coaches swear during their arguments but that's not what I'm talking about.  Players yelling the F word every time they get out, etc...I don't see much of a place for it in the game.  After all, those NCAA commercials always say "400,000 athletes, and most of us will go pro in something other than sports."  How many professions would tolerate you screaming profanities on a regular basis (coaching it appears:P)?  It would be a slippery slope to try to legislate against it though, as you said.  I guess it's just more disappointing that coaches allow their players to do it.  

My question wasn't so much about profanity in general, but coaches using it loudly and demonstratively in arguing a call, particularly those more severe words that are generally acknowledged by society as unprofessional and impolite. It just seems to me that the yelling and screaming of certain words toward an umpire, even without the word 'you', crosses a line, which, when not disciplined, damages the game as it perpetuates an already difficult problem. This guy got tossed, I'm just wandering if he was allowed to go too far beforehand. 

So, where is news of the suspension?

Interesting article on new Contract.

Looks like these actions are $$$$$ related due to structure of contract.

Perceived calls that he feels are missed are costing him bonus money.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-maryland-baseball-coach-john-szefc-s-new-contract-includes-a-91-000-boost-in-base-salary-20150706-story.html

5 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

So, where is news of the suspension?

Interesting article on new Contract.

Looks like these actions are $$$$$ related due to structure of contract.

Perceived calls that he feels are missed are costing him bonus money.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-maryland-baseball-coach-john-szefc-s-new-contract-includes-a-91-000-boost-in-base-salary-20150706-story.html

Why would he be suspended?

23 hours ago, LRZ said:

Damaged? Like the Dude, the game abides and endures, despite melt-downs by coaches and players.

Abides and endures, maybe, but is it thriving? People don't go to games, even free games, and there's a reason for it. I'm not saying that this particular issue is the ONLY reason, but merely that it could be a contributing factor. I just read an article about University of Oregon hemorrhaging money, citing declining ticket sales as part of the problem. New stadiums at all levels are putting people MUCH closer to the action where you can hear and see just about everything, and at some point I think participants, including coaches, should be mindful of that, especially if they want to keep getting raises like the one the coach in question got! 

3 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

just using terminology used in this article mentioning his previous run-in with jim schaly in the 2015 tournament.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/05/26/maryland-baseball-coach-ejected-after-expletive-filled-rant/?utm_term

That suspension would have been for prolonged arguing after ejection.