Curious...Riddell Power clone?

ofhs93
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2492 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The great white elephant....I see many speak of it in terms that glow like a spectacular display of the Northern Lights....but...in actuality...do we already have something available close at hand and for a very reasonable price that is almost an exact clone of the original, but possibly with better padding?

This came to mind when I saw the modification that @wolfe-man had made to a particular CP...one that I happened to just buy without making the connection at the time. I submit to you...the Champion P-200. Simply trim the somewhat annoying pad in the clavical/throat area and you have something that looks eerily similar to the White Elephant...does it not?

post-2682-0-41184700-1423784634.jpgIMG_1094.JPG

• Like 1

I see what you mean there, and while it is the same concept that Cowboy Joe came up with originally, I would say the West Vest Gold is closest to the Power as far as design. The plates are almost identical. 

The champion in the picture is one of the old models that they had to stop making due to the trademark that JW and Wilson own.

Oh, and the padding in the power is just fine, you wouldn't believe how light they are. I've never seen the weights, but I would guess around half the weight of a platinum anyway. The only thing they lack is gap protection, but that can be easily fixed.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with the Gold being another *copy* if you will...the price tag feature of the Champion is what initially catches the eye and then the level of protection and *very* similar design to the Riddell just sort of caught my attention.

I'll also say this...as of March/April 2017 the P-200's that U-A had in stock were still the original velcro attached plate style. I know this because I happened to buy one at that time (I didn't think of trimming the upper pad)

When @wolfe_man listed his for sale I thought it was a good opportunity to grab as a backup and to hand down to my son when he starts next year.

• Like 2

I also bought the Champion from U-A this year and would agree, it is the original style. I am still getting it adjusted to my liking and could actually handle more padding in the throat area. It just feels a bit lacking. Maybe just an adjustment issue or in need of a harness upgrade.

I added the bicep protection (don't make fun,anyone) after I took a couple of good shots there.

All in all I am pleased with the cp for the price.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ofhs93 said:

I don't disagree with the Gold being another *copy* if you will...the price tag feature of the Champion is what initially catches the eye and then the level of protection and *very* similar design to the Riddell just sort of caught my attention.

I'll also say this...as of March/April 2017 the P-200's that U-A had in stock were still the original velcro attached plate style. I know this because I happened to buy one at that time (I didn't think of trimming the upper pad)

When @wolfe_man listed his for sale I thought it was a good opportunity to grab as a backup and to hand down to my son when he starts next year.

Oh yeah I hear ya. I guess what I was trying to say was that the Gold is the latest version and shares the same DNA as the Power, since both are Joe West direct designs. 

I'm still learning a little here and there about the power. I wish I could find more data and historical articles and what not on it, It fascinates me how something that hasn't been made in so long is still so prevalent with MLB umpires.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

I also bought the Champion from U-A this year and would agree, it is the original style. I am still getting it adjusted to my liking and could actually handle more padding in the throat area. It just feels a bit lacking. Maybe just an adjustment issue or in need of a harness upgrade.

I added the bicep protection (don't make fun,anyone) after I took a couple of good shots there.

All in all I am pleased with the cp for the price.

I'm going to try the modified one out and see if I can get it to properly fit up high so that the plastic plating covers the area where the original throat padding was designed to be. I might not be able to do that with the stock harness...but I have an F3 harness waiting in the wings to be put on either the modified P-200 or the stock one...whichever seems to give me the best fit and level of protection. The luxury of the P-200 is that it's 17"...so moving it up a bit should not cause me to loose rib protection but I'm not sure how it is going to effect the shoulders...I'll make sure to let everyone know how it all works out.

1 hour ago, ofhs93 said:

I'm going to try the modified one out and see if I can get it to properly fit up high so that the plastic plating covers the area where the original throat padding was designed to be. I might not be able to do that with the stock harness...but I have an F3 harness waiting in the wings to be put on either the modified P-200 or the stock one...whichever seems to give me the best fit and level of protection. The luxury of the P-200 is that it's 17"...so moving it up a bit should not cause me to loose rib protection but I'm not sure how it is going to effect the shoulders...I'll make sure to let everyone know how it all works out.

Holy smokes a 17" would not only cover my ribs, I probably wouldn't need a cup either!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, blue32 said:

Holy smokes a 17" would not only cover my ribs, I probably wouldn't need a cup either!

Bahahahaha! I have a long torso and short legs man...what can I say lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ofhs93 said:

I had it up to my Adam's apple using the stock harness - so I'm sure a better harness would allow that to work for you. 

It wasn't too long for me, but after removing the neck pad - it fit more like a 13-14" CP - all ribs covered but not even to my belly button.  LOL

On the plus side, I just came across a Wilson Charcoal (with red Wilson logos) and a black Douglas 15" for $25 each.  I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough!   They're a little dirty, but I have soap & water and some ol' elbow grease at home. I can't wait to get them home and cleaned up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

I had it up to my Adam's apple using the stock harness - so I'm sure a better harness would allow that to work for you. 

It wasn't too long for me, but after removing the neck pad - it fit more like a 13-14" CP - all ribs covered but not even to my belly button.  LOL

On the plus side, I just came across a Wilson Charcoal (with red Wilson logos) and a black Douglas 15" for $25 each.  I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough!   They're a little dirty, but I have soap & water and some ol' elbow grease at home. I can't wait to get them home and cleaned up.

WOW!!! *Now* I see why you were ready to get rid of the Champion lol....that was a 2 for 1 deal ;) How do you find these deals??? And better yet...have you been charged with burglary yet...cause you just STOLE those 2 CPs...lmao

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ofhs93 said:

WOW!!! *Now* I see why you were ready to get rid of the Champion lol....that was a 2 for 1 deal ;) How do you find these deals??? And better yet...have you been charged with burglary yet...cause you just STOLE those 2 CPs...lmao

LOL - these were just on FB selling wall.  The thing is they were out there for several days, but the Douglas was kind of hidden and I just happened to notice it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Damn... I must have missed the Douglas post cause you would have had to have fought me off with a stick for it.

7 minutes ago, ofhs93 said:

What make and model is that?

That is an All American. It is basically a Champion P200 with a different name on it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I have the 15"version, its a great cp. Do yourself a favor and buy Ray's Umplife replacement harness. Its like the Delta Flex but with longer straps. I put it on my Champion and it doesn't move and stays up high. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, midtnump said:

I have the 15"version, its a great cp. Do yourself a favor and buy Ray's Umplife replacement harness. Its like the Delta Flex but with longer straps. I put it on my Champion and it doesn't move and stays up high. 

I already have an F3 harness on hand to use as a replacement, but being that I will now have 2, P-200s, I'm thinking that getting in touch with Razzo would be wise to upgrade the other one as well ;)

I have ONLY read the highest praise for his product.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Damn... I must have missed the Douglas post cause you would have had to have fought me off with a stick for it.

That is an All American. It is basically a Champion P200 with a different name on it.

Except the All American was around 20 years before the Champion.

• Like 1

Here's my V-Sport. Looking forward to adding Raz's harness. Love this thing, it's just really freaking hot. Should add that the padding outside on the abdomen is a hard foam, while what is under the plastic shell is softer. 

V-Sport.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mister B said:

Here's my V-Sport. Looking forward to adding Raz's harness. Love this thing, it's just really freaking hot. Should add that the padding outside on the abdomen is a hard foam, while what is under the plastic shell is softer. 

V-Sport.jpg

Yeah...that looks exactly like the P-200 as well...or vice versa ;)