RLI cubs-giants

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2509 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I thought you were allowed to step in for the bag on the last step ...which is what Heyward did ........  AND .... quality of throw was awful ...

I don't know here .... maybe there needs to be a tweak to RLI definition (no, I don't know how to do that but ....)

37 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I thought you were allowed to step in for the bag on the last step ...which is what Heyward did ........  AND .... quality of throw was awful ...

I don't know here .... maybe there needs to be a tweak to RLI definition (no, I don't know how to do that but ....)

The throw was of sufficient quality that if BR had not been there, F3 would have caught the ball.  That's the standard.

Now, whether BR was "there" legally or illegally is a tougher question.

• Like 1

Tough call.  He appeared to be in the lane the whole way until the last couple of steps which gives him protection "close" to the base.  I guess the PU held to the literal definition of "a step".

PBUC 7.10 "

The batter is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base. However, a batter-runner who runs to first base in fair territory and ignores the three-foot lane violates the spirit of the rule and would be out if he interferes with the fielder any distance from first base."

Rule 5.09(a)(11) [6.05(k)] Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

Just now, noumpere said:

Yes, I know the rule.  I just don't know that " That throw hits him whether he stays in the lane or not.  " matters.

I think this throw would have hit him even if he had stayed fully in the lane until his "step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity".   I only posted the comment to show the rule comment relative to his position all the way up the line;  he was never legally in the lane.   (The rule comment was directed solely to your reply, in other words).   That's why I retracted my initial reply.   The quality of the throw becomes an issue only if he stays in the lane legally.  Had he done so, he might well have been ruled safe.   But the RLI call is correct, IMO.

1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:

I know there's an interp out there that says the B/R isn't allowed that step or steps back into fair if they weren't in the lane beforehand. Does someone have a cite for that?

Here's how I think of it. 

The batter runner is allowed to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, reach, or stride for the sole purpose of touching first base. The rule doesn't say he's permitted to be out of the lane, it says he's permitted to exit the lane. So if he hasn't met the definition of running in the three-foot lane, there's no way he can exit it and he's subject to INT. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2017 at 9:56 AM, BrianC14 said:

Rule 5.09(a)(11) [6.05(k)] Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

He met this. He was in the lane.

On 5/25/2017 at 5:04 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

LOVE last comments by announcers.............."half of the base is in fair territory" what a jakwad :smachhead:

He's not wrong. Half of the base IS in fair territory. So is the other half. 

I have him stepping out 1 step too early. But that throw was horrible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...