Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Hkepuck

Honig's

53 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had trouble reaching Honig's in the past few weeks? No one has picked up the phone/returned a voice mail/email. Just seems very odd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Honigs is only available 'online' now.   I was talking to a partner last week who said they shut down their "warehouse" in Ann Arbor ....   they're only online now

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They closed the location in Whitter, CA as well a while back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Makes you wonder what happened. They were once King Kong of the gear and uniform market for pretty much all sports. Ump-Attire has a lot to do with that, I'm sure. 10 years ago honigs was the end all be all, and little startup UA was just trying to get going. The difference, from my perspective, is that Jim has always listened to us and made adjustments accordingly, where as Honigs always seemed to act like they knew what was better for me than I did. Just my experience from the office I dealt with, and they always got my product to me very quickly. I've just always felt more comfortable dealing with UA. It's still sad to see long time institutions on the decline though.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered two shirts and a hat from them last week. It came in a few days. It shipped from Colorado, though, as opposed to the usual Ann Arbor warehouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mw94 said:

Click on website for Retail Locations  only Colorado . I guess they consolidated everything to CO? https://honigs.com/locations/

Yes, that's what they have done.  One central (somewhat) location, pretty much online sales only (unless you happen to live near Denver).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Honigs is only available 'online' now.   I was talking to a partner last week who said they shut down their "warehouse" in Ann Arbor ....   they're only online now

Are you serious?? I just went there last summer (10 or 11 months ago) thinking it was a "retail" store but then showed up to a large repository of shirts... and ended up purchasing 2! That's odd they would shut down out of the blue like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would bet that a large majority of their sales were mail order or now internet order. With the high costs of having retail locations it most likely makes sense that they would move to an online sales strategy. Low overhead and the majority of their sales already funneling into that sales channel... why keep a bunch of local, little visited locations?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their website still sucks!

The Oregon location moved, but was still around a month ago. But I think they alsi "franchised" that one out.

Will have to look next time I am in the area.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been officiating baseball and basketball since 2001. For years I bought just about all of my gear from Honigs. Today I buy 95% of it from Ump Attire. Honigs got left behind in my opinion; kind of like an old guy who never bothered to learn how to use a computer, a smart phone or email. When do you remember having any kind of interaction with the head of Honigs online? When have they ever asked you what you were looking for in gear, what you liked or disliked? Never that I can recall.  The perfect example is their website which is absolutely awful in its functionality. Contrast that with Jim Kirk of Ump Attire. He posts stuff on their website and here; he interacts with officials and listens to their opinions. He hires competent people, officials who give us reviews of their products. He's engaged with his customers; I couldn't tell you who actually runs Honigs anymore. They may end up going the way of Plus POS at some point. They need to learn how to adapt and change. Just because a business strategy worked 20 years ago doesn't mean it will work now.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

I would bet that a large majority of their sales were mail order or now internet order. With the high costs of having retail locations it most likely makes sense that they would move to an online sales strategy. Low overhead and the majority of their sales already funneling into that sales channel... why keep a bunch of local, little visited locations?

That's pretty much it.   Brick and mortar retail stores are going the way of the dodo bird.   Even the big names are feeling the crunch.  Amazon.com pretty much owns retail these days.   More of this is in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hawkman said:

I've been officiating baseball and basketball since 2001. For years I bought just about all of my gear from Honigs. Today I buy 95% of it from Ump Attire. Honigs got left behind in my opinion; kind of like an old guy who never bothered to learn how to use a computer, a smart phone or email. When do you remember having any kind of interaction with the head of Honigs online? When have they ever asked you what you were looking for in gear, what you liked or disliked? Never that I can recall.  The perfect example is their website which is absolutely awful in its functionality. Contrast that with Jim Kirk of Ump Attire. He posts stuff on their website and here; he interacts with officials and listens to their opinions. He hires competent people, officials who give us reviews of their products. He's engaged with his customers; I couldn't tell you who actually runs Honigs anymore. They may end up going the way of Plus POS at some point. They need to learn how to adapt and change. Just because a business strategy worked 20 years ago doesn't mean it will work now.

You nailed it.  Consider Sears.   They were once the king of catalog sales.   Decades before the internet, (mid 1960s) I can remember my Mom going to a "Sears store" that was no bigger than our kitchen, and placing order for blue jeans, shirts, Craftsman tools for Dad's birthday, etc. etc.    A couple of weeks later she'd get a telephone call telling her "Your order is in at Sears".    The next day (or two) she would drive over to the neighboring town and pick up the goods.    What is Sears today?  Two floors of mall space, and no customers.   Had they gone back to their roots maybe 20 years ago, they wouldn't be facing what the are having to face:   that Sears may soon be 100% shuttered.   Times change.   They didn't.   And there's a laundry list of big retailers that are facing the same fate.    Even the once-venerable LL Bean tried the brick and mortar stores.   They are quickly wishing they hadn't, and they won't be able to keep up with the likes of Amazon.     

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the upside. It looks like the Northwest location is still around. I just don't need anything currently. So I haven't stopped in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

On the upside. It looks like the Northwest location is still around. I just don't need anything currently. So I haven't stopped in.

Based on what we are all seeing with them... you might want to stop in soon just to say good bye!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really disappointed to hear this is the case. I've used Honigs for years, even got stuff at an NCAA meeting this year from them. If they are now web only, won; tbe doing business with them in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hate seeing these retailers close their doors.  I guess I'm old-school, but I still like being able to hold what I am going to buy. I will and do shop online, but nothing ever beats the immediate satisfaction of paying and taking the item home with you - instead of having to wait for several days and hope it is what you thought it was.

But then again, I still like holding a real book too.  I have nothing against technology, to the contrary I love the convenience, but before too long we're going to be sitting in our homes with a computer and not need to leave them or interact with people anymore.   

(The irony here is that I'm typing this on a computer instead of having a live discussion with friends in person.)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Based on what we are all seeing with them... you might want to stop in soon just to say good bye!

Only if they ever bring back the original Hardwick pants.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I really hate seeing these retailers close their doors.  I guess I'm old-school, but I still like being able to hold what I am going to buy. I will and do shop online, but nothing ever beats the immediate satisfaction of paying and taking the item home with you - instead of having to wait for several days and hope it is what you thought it was.

But then again, I still like holding a real book too.  I have nothing against technology, to the contrary I love the convenience, but before too long we're going to be sitting in our homes with a computer and not need to leave them or interact with people anymore.   

(The irony here is that I'm typing this on a computer instead of having a live discussion with friends in person.)

GET OFF MY LAWN! Lol

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

GET OFF MY LAWN! Lol

LEAVE THE BEER !  GET OFF MY LAWN! ;)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honigs was sold around April 25th...The owner in his 70's must have had enough.

He basically told his staff at AA he had sold the company and it would only be operating out of CO

All the inventory was shipped to the CO location

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Razzer said:

Honigs was sold around April 25th...The owner in his 70's must have had enough.

He basically told his staff at AA he had sold the company and it would only be operating out of CO

All the inventory was shipped to the CO location

Wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Razzer said:

Honigs was sold around April 25th...The owner in his 70's must have had enough.

He basically told his staff at AA he had sold the company and it would only be operating out of CO

All the inventory was shipped to the CO location

:wow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now