Interference or nothing?

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2528 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OBR, R1

Line drive bounces off pitcher and is heading to F4.  R1 runs into (unintentionally) F4 as he is going for the ball.  Interference or nothing since it deflected off the pitcher?

Thanks

If I understand what you are saying is that even after a deflection the fielder still has the "right of way" but if the ball hits the runner it's nothing?

Thanks

(I blew that one)

36 minutes ago, stl_ump said:

If I understand what you are saying is that even after a deflection the fielder still has the "right of way" but if the ball hits the runner it's nothing?

Thanks

That's correct. And note that the fielder we protect can change after a deflection.

The rationale for the different treatment (protected fielder vs ball) is that we expect the runner to be able to see the fielder in front of him and adjust.

After a batted ball gets its initial direction, he's usually not watching it, and so we don't hold him liable for avoiding a deflected ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stl_ump said:

Thanks

(I blew that one)

However if anybody here does USA softball if a batted ball is deflected there is no interference should a runner hinder another fielder going for the ball unless it is intentional.

Ditto if the same fielder goes after the ball that he/ she deflected.

In other words we would have obstruction.

2 hours ago, stl_ump said:

Thanks

(I blew that one)

Also...

if a fielder deflects a batted ball and chases/ tries to pick it up he is protected if he is within a step and a reach of the ball.

43 minutes ago, MT73 said:

Also...

if a fielder deflects a batted ball and chases/ tries to pick it up he is protected if he is within a step and a reach of the ball.

Depends on the rules code and whether it's "chases" or "tries to pick it up"