HS Sitch

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2500 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HC: "Can you try to get in the right position for that play at home next time?"

My Mouth: "C'mon, Mike.  We're done with that one.  Let's move on."  (Especially hilarious if his name is Mark.)

My Brain: "Why am I running all over the stupid park when I could just sit on a bucket in the dugout and be right about everything all the time?"

• Like 4

9 hours ago, maven said:

As natural as it is to confront stupidity, I'd recommend reconsidering your attraction to that response. Coach is trying to work you. When you get upset, angry, "STFU"-ready, he wins.

He just had a call go against him, so he's upset and emotional. He wants to take you — the cause of his bad feelings — down with him. When you oblige him, you impair yourself for the next 20-30 minutes, as your cortisol and adrenaline levels balloon, thus compromising your pre-frontal cortex and decisionmaking.

If you can rise above it and stay cool, you win, and in more ways than one: coach fails to work you, and you're still focused and ready for the next pitch. And, when coach cools off, he might just respect your professionalism (though that's definitely a crapshoot).

As much as I agree with @maven and I definitely cannot argue with his professional credentials...  when he is right he is right after all...

but MAN... that STFU stare is just so much more gratifying! 

As much as I agree with [mention=2446]maven[/mention] and I definitely cannot argue with his professional credentials...  when he is right he is right after all...
but MAN... that STFU stare is just so much more gratifying! 

The stare can be quite satisfying. I'm pushing against more confrontational engagement.

I know... was just making more of a wise crack.

I try very hard not to let emotions take over and make me lose my cool... I understand I am there to officiate; I have no real skin in the game. The coaches and players on the other hand are trying to find any advantage they can to win. 

As you pointed out when you do get heated... it does take time to come back down to an even keel... and for that 10-20 minutes you can just feel ever thing is 'off'.

5 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Good answer, but that wasn't the question.

Because "He made it" doesn't mean he's safe ... it means he didn't stop short of the bag.

I can do this all day, folks.

Well I have coached for years and if you called my runner out because " He made it" we would be having a very interesting conversation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MT73 said:

Well I have coached for years and if you called my runner out because " He made it" we would be having a very interesting conversation.

Agreed.  It would be I … teaching you English 101.  Interesting.

Edit: My poor English

Surgeon, looking glum, approaches his patient's wife in the waiting room.

Wife: "Did he not make it?"

Surgeon: "He made it."

Wife: "Oh thank God, Thank you doctor.  You saved his life!"

Surgeon: "Well, he died on the table, but he made it to the OR."

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, MooseLoop said:

Surgeon, looking glum, approaches his patient's wife in the waiting room.

Wife: "Did he not make it?"

Surgeon: "He made it."

Wife: "Oh thank God, Thank you doctor.  You saved his life!"

Surgeon: "Well, he died on the table, but he made it to the OR."

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 6:52 PM, VolUmp said:

it was a Regional elimination game, so I really didn't want to restrict him, 

Why not?  I ejected a kid in game three (best of three) of the high school state championship series this past weekend.  

Now, I'm not saying that the coach in your situation deserved to be restricted/ejected.  I'm not saying you handled it wrong.  But, in general, don't not restrict/eject a person deserving of restriction/ejection just because its a "big game".  

After all, "every game is a 'big game' to someone."

On 5/23/2017 at 1:19 PM, VolUmp said:

Because "He made it" doesn't mean he's safe ... it means he didn't stop short of the bag.

I can do this all day, folks.

We haven't had one of these threads in a while:

(1)  Poster presents a scenario and asks for advice.

(2)  Members of this message board provide near unanimous advice...even if said/advice went above and beyond simply answering the specific question posed in the OP.

(3)  Original Poster doesn't like the unanimous advice so he (a) decides everyone else is wrong, (b) proceeds to tell everyone else they're wrong, argue with everyone else and/or belittle those who have offered advice suggesting he make a change, and (c) proceeds to double-down by rationalizing why his way is correct OR demands that we stop addressing the specific issue altogether.

All of you (the posters who "replied" in this thread) have shown a lot more patience than would have been shown such an original poster had this occurred on one of the umpire message boards that existed in the early days of the internet.  (McGriff's anyone?)

VolUmp, many posters have tried to give you sound advice.  When I read your original post (before I had read even a single reply), I thought to myself, "why did he tell the coach that the runner was safe?"  And, I'm an umpire with a lot of experience.  Imagine most coaches' reactions.

If you don't want to take the advice that has been given...that is your right.  This is America after all.  Please continue to answer the "Did he not make it" (or variations thereof) question any way you want.  But please promise that when you have that huge sh!thouse (and you will...its only a matter of time), where they're burning down the dugout, that you will post the YouTube video on this site so we can all watch.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, lawump said:

We haven't had one of these threads in a while:

(1)  Poster presents a scenario and asks for advice.

(2)  Members of this message board provide near unanimous advice...even if said/advice went above and beyond simply answering the specific question posed in the OP.

(3)  Original Poster doesn't like the unanimous advice so he (a) decides everyone else is wrong, (b) proceeds to tell everyone else they're wrong, argue with everyone else and/or belittle those who have offered advice suggesting he make a change, and (c) proceeds to double-down by rationalizing why his way is correct OR demands that we stop addressing the specific issue altogether.

All of you (the posters who "replied" in this thread) have shown a lot more patience than would have been shown such an original poster had this occurred on one of the umpire message boards that existed in the early days of the internet.  (McGriff's anyone?)

VolUmp, many posters have tried to give you sound advice.  When I read your original post (before I had read even a single reply), I thought to myself, "why did he tell the coach that the runner was safe?"  And, I'm an umpire with a lot of experience.  Imagine most coaches' reactions.

If you don't want to take the advice that has been given...that is your right.  This is America after all.  Please continue to answer the "Did he not make it" (or variations thereof) question any way you want.  But please promise that when you have that huge sh!thouse (and you will...its only a matter of time), where they're burning down the dugout, that you will post the YouTube video on this site so we can all watch.

I can't think of a better way to close this topic.

• Like 1

• LMSANS locked this topic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2500 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.