Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Gil

UEFL Game Ending Appeal on a Force Play

Gil    291

A runner declared out for failure to touch a base cancelled a run on appeal, prolonging a tied ballgame and sending it to extra innings as the apparent winners filed a protest over the call. How will that protest play out? Such is the question posed in this edition of Ask the UEFL, concerning a...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Jimurray    542
9 hours ago, Gil said:

A runner declared out for failure to touch a base cancelled a run on appeal, prolonging a tied ballgame and sending it to extra innings as the apparent winners filed a protest over the call. How will that protest play out? Such is the question posed in this edition of Ask the UEFL, concerning a...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Do not go to the twitter feed of the "offended" team. That will be Gils job.

• Like 1

Gil    291

Considering someone decided to crop a BRD-style table of OBR vs NFHS rules differences to exclude the NFHS rule entirely while leaving the OBR one intact, let's just say it appears as if someone is being deliberately deceitful. "NFHS rule 4.09b": wrong on at least two levels.

DAIszsxXkAAuX_-.jpg-large.jpeg

BrianC14    422

Just noticed and viewed the video at the end.    Needless to say it's tough to determine on my phone, but what about it....?

U3 is right there. ... if the crew got together on the appeal and U3 confirms that R2 didn't touch the base, then by rule,  it's over as the game was played out. 

What a mess.  And in the after article comments,  it was posted that the crew were taken off the Final?    Is that really the case?

Thunderheads    2,360

Based on what I can see in the video, ...R2 certainly touched 3rd

BrianC14    422
2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Based on what I can see in the video, ...R2 certainly touched 3rd

Yikes,  I don't have a computer screen that accurate or detailed.   Remember the Little League USA final some years ago,  the runner for Hawaii that missed 3B by what  - an inch?  

That appeal was successful, and Hawaii was sent packing.

Hard to believe that U3 could have missed seeing the touch.... or the miss.

I don't think the video is conclusive, and besides, it's not as though they can use it in the protest.  

An article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution stated that the protesting team claims "inappropriate conduct" by the umpires "after the game". (which I assume means after they thought they had won).    Weird way to introduce a protest, I think.

• Like 1

scrounge    1,127
23 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Gil posted that the appeal was denied.  Game stands as called.

The FIRST appeal was denied...but the full GHSA board agreed to hear an appeal of that decision on Monday. For some unfathomable reason.

Goobers.

stkjock    272
3 minutes ago, scrounge said:

The FIRST appeal was denied...but the full GHSA board agreed to hear an appeal of that decision on Monday. For some unfathomable reason.

Goobers.

from Gil:

*Update 5/19*: As predicted above, the GHSA has denied Lee County's appeal; game stands as called.

but I also see this:

http://www.walb.com/story/35461486/update-ghsa-rules-against-johns-creek-in-lee-co-challenge

so IDK.. lol

scrounge    1,127
Just now, stkjock said:

from Gil:

That's nice....but that's not final.

" The GHSA appeals committee voted 3-1 against the appeal. Johns Creek needed an unanimous vote to overturn the call.

The high school now plans to appeal this vote, and send the controversial call to the GHSA Board of Trustees. The appeals committee deliberated in public, and cited that the ruling was a judgment call by umpires, thus video could not be considered.

The 9-member GHSA Board of Trustees will consider the appeal Monday at 10am."

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/sports/255717653-story

BrianC14    422
30 minutes ago, scrounge said:

That's nice....but that's not final.

" The GHSA appeals committee voted 3-1 against the appeal. Johns Creek needed an unanimous vote to overturn the call.

The high school now plans to appeal this vote, and send the controversial call to the GHSA Board of Trustees. The appeals committee deliberated in public, and cited that the ruling was a judgment call by umpires, thus video could not be considered.

The 9-member GHSA Board of Trustees will consider the appeal Monday at 10am."

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/sports/255717653-story

And this from a state association that (as has been reported) do not allow protests?    WTH?    I can see that three umpires could soon be thrown under the bus.   Some reports (article comments in Atlanta Journal Constitution) have said that the crew had been scheduled to work the finals, but have been taken off it.    

scrounge    1,127

UPDATE: The snowflakes and rich helicopter parents win....GHSA Board of Trustees uphold appeal from losing team, there WILL be a game 3.

stkjock    272
11 minutes ago, scrounge said:

UPDATE: The snowflakes and rich helicopter parents win....GHSA Board of Trustees uphold appeal from losing team, there WILL be a game 3.

Wow!!

scrounge    1,127

Oh, and GHSA confirms that umpire crew removed from further postseason assignments.

BrianC14    422

Just as predicted;  GHSA threw the umpires under the bus.   And all this from an organization that says they don't allow for protests on judgment calls.  

And some areas wonder why they can't keep or get sports officials.    smh 

• Like 1

BrianC14    422

http://highschoolsports.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/22/johns-creek-baseball-wins-final-appeal-will-play-lee-county-in-game-3-on-wednesday/

They're pushing the entire playoff bracket back two days for this decision.   smh

And in another article (prior to the decision) it was reported that both U2 and U3 had agreed during the on-field discussion that R2 had not touched third base.

Follow the rules?   Why bother, right GHSA ?   What other rules will GHSA decide to ignore?

scrounge    1,127
4 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

http://highschoolsports.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/22/johns-creek-baseball-wins-final-appeal-will-play-lee-county-in-game-3-on-wednesday/

They're pushing the entire playoff bracket back two days for this decision.   smh

And in another article (prior to the decision) it was reported that both U2 and U3 had agreed during the on-field discussion that R2 had not touched third base.

Follow the rules?   Why bother, right GHSA ?   What other rules will GHSA decide to ignore?

This is an outrageous quote from the head goober, totally engineering an outcome based on their feelings with rules be damned. Screw them...

[from the article above]GHSA board of trustees president Glenn White, citing 20 years of experience on the GHSA’s executive committee, called it was the hardest decision on a GHSA matter that he had made. The vote went 5-2 in Johns Creek’s favor.

“Normally I would support our baseball officials, and I’ve done that for years, but in this situation after listening to both Johns Creek and Lee County and their administrators and coaches, and then the summary from the GHSA office, it swayed me to believe that the wrong call was made and that it was not in the best interest of students to support that call,” White said. ”The bottom line is what’s right and what’s wrong, and I thought it was right for Johns Creek to go back to Lee County and play a third game.’’

Jimurray    542
Just now, scrounge said:

This is an outrageous quote from the head goober, totally engineering an outcome based on their feelings with rules be damned. Screw them...

[from the article above]GHSA board of trustees president Glenn White, citing 20 years of experience on the GHSA’s executive committee, called it was the hardest decision on a GHSA matter that he had made. The vote went 5-2 in Johns Creek’s favor.

“Normally I would support our baseball officials, and I’ve done that for years, but in this situation after listening to both Johns Creek and Lee County and their administrators and coaches, and then the summary from the GHSA office, it swayed me to believe that the wrong call was made and that it was not in the best interest of students to support that call,” White said. ”The bottom line is what’s right and what’s wrong, and I thought it was right for Johns Creek to go back to Lee County and play a third game.’’

And what does the Georgia HS Baseball Umpire Association (I'm guessing about the name) have to say about this?

BrianC14    422
5 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

And what does the Georgia HS Baseball Umpire Association (I'm guessing about the name) have to say about this?

I'm thinking that any of them that speak up now will be in danger of losing THEIR playoff assignments.   As an organization, they should say SOMETHING, because this ruling is a travesty, and dumping the umpire crew from further playoff work is an insult.  

roothog66    11

So, waiting on some actual grounds for ruling on the appeal. It appears they either ruled that they are convinced the umps made the wrong call and are willing to make an unprecedented decision (which would have to be made on an inappropriate use of an unclear video) or decided that, in this case the rule was just too unfair and they would ignore it. Either way this opens up a Pandora's box of BS.

ALStripes17    556

I want to see all Georgia officials boycott the Finals ... Dare the GHSA to play all the final series with the BOT as umpires.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

maven    3,880
16 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

I want to see all Georgia officials boycott the Finals ...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I guess "LOL" is more efficient...

ALStripes17    556
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
I guess "LOL" is more efficient...

A girl can dream...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BrianC14    422

Get a load of this Baloney Sandwich, from the BoT President:  (my comments in red)

White acknowledged that overturning a judgment call sets an uneasy precedent. It’s not unusual for the GHSA to alter results based on the failure of officials to apply rules correctly. But in this case, the board of trustees effectively changed the outcome of a game based on the judgment that the runner didn’t not reach third base.

‘’It’s just not practical to review every missed call and every kid that was [called] safe but was actually out,’’ White said. ‘’We have set a precedent, so we need to get ready because there will probably be other people coming to see us.’’  Right - and this includes any coach that simply doesn't like the result of a particular call, for ANY reason.

But White argued that the Johns Creek-Lee County situation was highly unusual because consequences of the call, if wrong, were clear-cut – Johns Creek wins the game if the runner is ruled to have reached third. That would have been the final play of a 4-3 Johns Creek victory.  It's been reported that TWO umpires saw the missed touch of 3B.

‘’If it’s the second inning of a baseball game or second quarter of a football game, you’ve got plenty of time to overcome a bad call,’’ White said. ‘’This situation is a different. It’s a semifinal state playoff game in baseball, and it’s the end of the game. I just see that differently. That had lot to do with swaying my opinion.”   What "bad call" is he referring to?    And speaking of time to overcome it - the game was ruled immediately in one team's favor... they played an additional inning in which the alleged "bad call" COULD have been overcome.  And again, why is this bureaucrat deciding what call is 'bad' from the confines of his office?  Why is he ruling on what shouldn't have been allowed at all - BASED ON THE ASSOCIATION's own rules?!?   Travesty.  

BrianC14    422

More BS from the BoT President:

“Normally I would support our baseball officials, and I’ve done that for years, but in this situation after listening to both Johns Creek and Lee County and their administrators and coaches, and then the summary from the GHSA office, it swayed me to believe that the wrong call was made and that it was not in the best interest of students to support that call,”

This guy should be running for political office; he seems to be well experienced in speaking from both sides of his face.