HBP determination

Guest ALEX
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2523 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest ALEX

I'm the plate ump. It's the bottom of the 6th 2 outs bases loaded home team down by 1. Pitch comes in behind the batter and there is a distinct "tick, tick sound" presumably, grazing the players back, then hitting the catchers glove. I without hesitstion call hit by pitch and tying run scores. Away coach is all mad and I tell him I could distinctly hear it hit the batter, this enrages him even further saying I can only "see" the pitch hit him, not hear it. Sorry I didn't have my microscope handy to magnify the millimeters. In the end the pitcher hit the next batter also and the home team won on back to back HBP. What a horrible way to end a great game. Is using sound in your determination of a HBP not allowed? 

5 answers to this question

Whenever making a call, use all the information you can before making a decision. Think about plays at 1B. We watch for the foot hitting the bag and listen for the pop in the glove. 

HBP is no different. What sound(s) are heard as the ball passes hits the batter? Thwack? Click? Ping? Did the batter make an "Ooof!" sound?

I don't know if I would offer that I only heard the ball hit the batter, but I know that I would come up big, call time, give myself a second or two to process the situation, and then make my call. Should a coach question my call I would likely respond that I had a HBP and move on.

YMMV.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guest ALEX said:

I'm the plate ump. It's the bottom of the 6th 2 outs bases loaded home team down by 1. Pitch comes in behind the batter and there is a distinct "tick, tick sound" presumably, grazing the players back, then hitting the catchers glove. I without hesitstion call hit by pitch and tying run scores. Away coach is all mad and I tell him I could distinctly hear it hit the batter, this enrages him even further saying I can only "see" the pitch hit him, not hear it. Sorry I didn't have my microscope handy to magnify the millimeters. In the end the pitcher hit the next batter also and the home team won on back to back HBP. What a horrible way to end a great game. Is using sound in your determination of a HBP not allowed? 

You can use whatever senses you need.

I would suggest saying "I had" instead if "I saw (heard)" as it allows you to explain your judgment of what happened without prompting a question of how you used a specific sense. If he wants to keep arguing, shut it down.

• Like 1

I agree with @Matt to use any and all senses, and not tell the coach which one(s) they were.

"Coach, the ball hit him," is all you need to tell him. It's easy to fall into the trap of explaining too much for any questioned call. Keep it short and simple every time and the game will go smoother. If the coach insists on questioning you, "Coach, I already told you what I had. Let's play," should suffice.

Also look at the way I say it and the way ElkOil says it. Each is a different type of tool.

With mine, saying "I had..." gives the implication that it is my opinion and not a hard fact. This can be useful with a defensive (emotionally, that is) coach, but can be something an aggressive coach might jump on as a window of opportunity.

His is phrased as a statement of fact. This can promote an air of confidence and keep a coach at bay, but also may come off as unapproachable and arrogant.

Think about not only the content of the message, but the phrasing. It can go a long way.