To clean or not to clean... THE PLATE

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2522 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The defense covered it, so when they switch sides, if it's still not cleaned, PU should definitely brush the plate in between, so as not to punish the innocent team. 

• Like 1

At the Mid-American Umpire Clinic (shameless plug) we always say you have to deal with coaches and players like you would your child. 

So to put this in some perspective...

Let's say your child has a fit and throws things (could be crayons, legos, or broccoli) everywhere. Even the "express your feelings" parents among us are going to address this situation and your child will face some sort of consequence. Now, the question is, are you going to clean up the mess your child made? If you answer no, then you should also answer no to, "Are you going to clean off the plate?" when the head coach has a fit.

And if you answer yes to either, I have no desire to umpire with you...just being honest. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, maven said:

The question presupposes that somebody must clean the plate. But why? If the offense covers it so they can't see it, then they're in no position to complain about my big zone. (Reminds me of Jimmy telling a budding pro umpire never to clean off a base, and for much the same reason.)

Depending on the heat of the game, I might kick a little off the edges on my way past. But really: I know where it is.

I know where the plate is. It will affect my zone almost zero. F2 is likely to clean it off...but if not, I'm comfortable proceeding with it covered if the entire yard has their heels in the sand. 

4 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Bit of an overreaction.

Says a coach...

Kids at that age are very impressionable. If they see Daddy go out and go batSH*# crazy on an umpire, kick dirt, throw stuff, and/or cover the plate and only get ejected...it lets kids know that behavior is acceptable (with minimal consequences).

Forfeit the game, send the team home with a loss, and the message is: there is a professional way to disagree with a person in authority, maintain your composure or suffer major consequences.

Maybe a little more of that and a few less participation trophies and we wouldn't have people standing in the middle of the interstate blocking traffic :shrug:

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

Says a coach...

Kids at that age are very impressionable. If they see Daddy go out and go batSH*# crazy on an umpire, kick dirt, throw stuff, and/or cover the plate and only get ejected...it lets kids know that behavior is acceptable (with minimal consequences).

Forfeit the game, send the team home with a loss, and the message is: there is a professional way to disagree with a person in authority, maintain your composure or suffer major consequences.

Maybe a little more of that and a few less participation trophies and we wouldn't have people standing in the middle of the interstate blocking traffic :shrug:

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the action, however, curious to know what rule would you hang your hat on when a protest is filed?

I'm sure you're aware, at least under LLI rules, (maybe most youth levels), if the coach is EJ he is also suspended the next game. 

5 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the action, however, curious to know what rule would you hang your hat on when a protest is filed?

I'm sure you're aware, at least under LLI rules, (maybe most youth levels), if the coach is EJ he is also suspended the next game. 

Well, considering the coach has usually been ejected prior to his temper tantrum or covering the plate, I would forfeit the game for failing to leave the field after being ejected in a timely manner.

But honestly, I could give a damn if the game was protested or not. If the protest was upheld I wouldn't work for a league who would allow a coach to get away with that behavior and as an assignor, I would pull my umpires, too. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 9:56 AM, ElkOil said:

Thank you. That's why this whole things seems like we'd be asking for more trouble than it's worth if we don't clean the plate.

I seriously don't think anyone but another umpire would look at this situation and think we're being shown up, walked over or taken advantage of. It's a problem of our own making, and specific to us.

Dump the coach, brush the plate, play on.

do  not clean the plate... the catcher can do it..

• Like 1