To clean or not to clean... THE PLATE

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2529 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yankees v. Ray's today, Scott Barry gives Girardi the hook, Girardi covers the plate with dirt, Barry refused to clean it after play resumed (Yanks on defense). Sanchez eventually cleaned it with his hand. 

Would you clean the plate for the sake of professionalism, or stick it to 'em in front of all watching? 

If we want to be perceived as professionals, we have to act professionally. I have no desire to get in a pissing contest by not doing my job of cleaning the plate. I'm hired and paid money to execute my duties on the field. Cleaning the plate isn't beneath me, regardless of the reason why it's dirty.

As I've posted before, im not cleaning it.  It is my job to clean it when it becomes dirty during the normal course of play.  A manager burying the plate because he's pi$$ed is not the "normal course of play."

I admit that this may be one of the last vestiges of my pro ball red-assness.

John Shulock was another who refuse; I beleive he even let an F2 borrow his plate brush once.  LOL.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lawump said:

As I've posted before, im not cleaning it.  It is my job to clean it when it becomes dirty during the normal course of play.  A manager burying the plate because he's pi$$ed is not the "normal course of play."

I admit that this may be one of the last vestiges of my pro ball red-assness.

John Shulock was another who refuse; I beleive he even let an F2 borrow his plate brush once.  LOL.

Under those circumstances, I wouldn't either. 

Or maybe I would drag my foot right down the middle to form a reverse Mohawk sort of thing, and leave the implication that the zone just got tightened up a bit. ;)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ElkOil said:

If we want to be perceived as professionals, we have to act professionally. I have no desire to get in a pissing contest by not doing my job of cleaning the plate. I'm hired and paid money to execute my duties on the field. Cleaning the plate isn't beneath me, regardless of the reason why it's dirty.

It's not your job to clean up after someone showing you up. Would you pick up a bat thrown on the field in anger?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's not your job to clean up after someone showing you up. Would you pick up a bat thrown on the field in anger?

The difference is the bat belongs to someone. The plate does not. If a player throws a bat and leaves it, I can always say to his team, "Hey, can someone grab that?" What do I say if I don't clean the plate? Do I stand there holding my brush out and insist a member of the team come over to do it? A coach spreading dirt on the plate is not showing me up, and cleaning it is under my purview. What's the alternative, not cleaning it? That's just spiteful.

Again, it's not beneath me to do it. And not doing it is just as childish as the coach who dirtied it. I presume I already ejected the coach for his dirt maneuver in the first place. And of the two of us, I'm the one still in the game.

Just now, ElkOil said:

The difference is the bat belongs to someone. The plate does not. If a player throws a bat and leaves it, I can always say to his team, "Hey, can someone grab that?" What do I say if I don't clean the plate? Do I stand there holding my brush out and insist a member of the team come over to do it? A coach spreading dirt on the plate is not showing me up, and cleaning it is under my purview. What's the alternative, not cleaning it? That's just spiteful.

Again, it's not beneath me to do it. And not doing it is just as childish as the coach who dirtied it.

No, it's not childish. He is showing you up. You cannot allow him to create work for you in that regard. He started it, someone on his side can end it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt said:

No, it's not childish. He is showing you up. You cannot allow him to create work for you in that regard. He started it, someone on his side can end it.

Yeah, well, he's in the parking lot and I'm still on the field. Seems like I came out ahead.

Just now, Matt said:

No, professionalism requires you not to clean up after him.

Oh. No, I think the professional thing to do is not get wrapped up in a turd fight with a coach. I'd be more interested in cleaning the plate and quickly resuming the game instead of over-emphasizing the significance of the dirty dish. It's what my mom would want me to do.

• Like 2

Just now, ElkOil said:

Oh. No, I think the professional thing to do is not get wrapped up in a turd fight with a coach. I'd be more interested in cleaning the plate and quickly resuming the game instead of over-emphasizing the significance of the dirty dish. It's what my mom would want me to do.

I hope you are open to learning.

Just now, Matt said:

I hope you are open to learning.

I wouldn't be active on this site if I wasn't, and I think I've been here long enough to have shown a desire to continually improve. Perhaps this opinion I'm sharing is one that I picked up as a result of what I've learned.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Again, it's not beneath me to do it. And not doing it is just as childish as the coach who dirtied it. I presume I already ejected the coach for his dirt maneuver in the first place. And of the two of us, I'm the one still in the game.

""Hey, can someone grab that?""

And what if they don't???????? Just asking.

• Like 1

These are some of the same "professionals" who wouldn't EJ the 9 yr old kid who drew the line on the plate umpire in the video recently circulating the facebook groups. 

Some of you are willing to let people walk all over you for the sake of the next game fee. Toughen up. 

• Like 3

We can disagree about cleaning the plate, but it has nothing to do with professionalism. We umpires often have differing approaches to game management, based on our personalities and the particular circumstances of each game.

8 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

I guess that @Matt and @ElkOil are going to agree to disagree on this one.

You are correct, sir.

Entirely too much time was taken up over something this trivial. I understand the greater point @Matt is making and I don't begrudge anyone who won't clean the plate in this situation. My point was that I have no interest in prolonging an already ridiculous display by the coach. I'll just clean it and move on.

9 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Tourist, lost in Maine:  "Does it matter which road I take to get to Millinocket? "

Local farmer: "Not to me it don't."

There are only 2 - one in and 1 out.

Up there though, it would be a woodsman, most likely :) .

By the way, I have been to Millinocket 3 times so far for HS games this season. Nice ride in the spring, just bring the fly dope (the good stuff) for the black flies.

• Like 1