Why aren't all teams like this?

Thawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2523 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I had a 9u game that turned out to be one probably one of the best games I've ever worked.  Not because of the level of play-these guys were 9 year olds.  But rather because of the attitude of the coaches, parents, and players.  First taste of it was at the plate meeting.  The HCs were good friends, and you could tell that this was truly a friendly game.  As my partner discussed ground rules (I was BU), the coaches first asked him to have a big strike zone to promote the kids swinging the bat.  They didn't want a walk-a-thon.  Also, they asked us if we saw something in the field, to "coach the kids up".  Holy SH*#!!??  coaches that want input from the umpires about their kids' play??  So being the BU, I knew I was going to have a SH*#-ton of balks, but I said if it's not egregious, then I'm not calling it.

So as the game went along, both teams were putting in a new pitcher every inning.  So each half inning, I would walk over to the dugout, and would talk to the pitcher AND the coach.  I made it a point to compliment them on what they did right, then pointed out things they should work on.  Only told them 1 or 2 things, and only the obvious ones, not stopping at the set position, glove position in the set, shoulder turns, etc. One kid after I talked to him asked me about how he was supposed to step when he went for a pickoff.  Mind-Blown!!!!!  Without any hesitation, I found myself explaining to this bright eyed, curious child what a balk meant, but I laid it out for him in a way that he could understand.  He listened, and then explained to me what he heard me say, as if to confirm that he had heard the right thing, which he had.  After that conversation was over, I went back to the "A" position.  Didn't realize that everyone was waiting on me.

After the game was over, my partner and I were heading off the field, and the boy who I had a conversation with ran up to me and said "my Mom wants to talk to you".  So I waited for her to come over, and when she did, she reached out and began to hug me.  Not what I expected.  After a short embrace, she thanked me for talking to her son.  Apparently he had gone over to her after that inning and had cheerfully, and with so much delight and enthusiasm, relayed the contents of our conversation.   

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Quick question...... what kind of league has balks for 9 year olds? :blink:

In U-trip we give one warning per pitcher in 12U and below. The exception being bracket play in tournaments on Sundays in which there is no warning. You just have to be extremely lenient at that age and only call the really obvious stuff.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Quick question...... what kind of league has balks for 9 year olds? :blink:

A league that allows for lead-offs, pick-offs and steals... ya know... real baseball.

Hey, if a league of coaches actually figure out what fundamental baseball is, and teach the kids how to:

1. Throw
  2. Catch
  3. Field
  4. Pitch and/or Catch (as a catcher specifically)
  5. Hit

... instead of working on signs, signals and situations, the kids will progress far more "naturally". I think Coach-Pitch baseball is the worst thing ever invented (for baseball), because all these kids are mistakenly taught that all action ceases once you "get it back to the pitcher!!!!" They're also mistakenly taught to go and stand on the base to receive any/all throws. And very, very few kids can actually catch a fly ball or pop-up. Leagues get so hyper-fixated on pitch counts – know the fastest way to reduce pitch counts? Have kids catch a freakin' pop-up, or a routine throw from F4 to F3!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Thawk751 said:

After the game was over, my partner and I were heading off the field, and the boy who I had a conversation with ran up to me and said "my Mom wants to talk to you".  So I waited for her to come over, and when she did, she reached out and began to hug me.  Not what I expected.

Im disappointed in no one asking the "elephant in the room" question...

Was she hot?:rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 05/19/2017 at 11:51 AM, MadMax said:

A league that allows for lead-offs, pick-offs and steals... ya know... real baseball.

Hey, if a league of coaches actually figure out what fundamental baseball is, and teach the kids how to:

1. Throw
  2. Catch
  3. Field
  4. Pitch and/or Catch (as a catcher specifically)
  5. Hit

... instead of working on signs, signals and situations, the kids will progress far more "naturally". I think Coach-Pitch baseball is the worst thing ever invented (for baseball), because all these kids are mistakenly taught that all action ceases once you "get it back to the pitcher!!!!" They're also mistakenly taught to go and stand on the base to receive any/all throws. And very, very few kids can actually catch a fly ball or pop-up. Leagues get so hyper-fixated on pitch counts – know the fastest way to reduce pitch counts? Have kids catch a freakin' pop-up, or a routine throw from F4 to F3!

AMEN Brother!!!:cheers:

• Like 2