Register or Sign In to remove these ads
jkumpire

How Does a Nike Titanium fit?

Gentlemen,

Sorry to interrupt your evening after a long day of umpiring, but I have a question about the holy grail of masks, the Nike Titanium. I am interested in purchasing one. 

An umpire who said he 'just bought this mask on ebay a week ago'  said the mask did not fit his face so he is selling it. Since he said he had Team Wendy's in the frame it seems legit.  So, I have to ask, is the Nike small as masks go? If you are comfortable with a Wilson Titanium will you be comfortable with a Nike? Is it more round that a Wilson, is it a regular frame or is it a 'new view' type frame?

I have not seen any threads on this aspect of the Nike so I thought I would ask, if this has already been discussed, my apologies.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

When I had a Nike TI the TW pads fit kind of funny. It's a wide mask and quite round, but the TW sat low on my face. The stock Nike pads fit great and I'm sure I rotated some other sort of pads on there. It's definitely not a low profile mask. Other guys that actually own one probably know more about this than I do, and I'm sure @MadMax can give you all the specs your heart desires, even though he's still without his unicorn mask. 

• Like 1

Folks, I'd start being wary about knock off masks about now. There are Chinese firms that will make titanium frames for around $20, but you gotta buy a ton of 'em. If someone had the resources, they could dummy up the pads, too, if they thought there was a market for them.

• Like 1

That does make sense. The mask I can understand considering the difficulty in obtaining one. The pads I would be (somewhat) surprised if that were to happen.

10 minutes ago, kylejt said:

Folks, I'd start being wary about knock off masks about now. There are Chinese firms that will make titanium frames for around $20, but you gotta buy a ton of 'em. If someone had the resources, they could dummy up the pads, too, if they thought there was a market for them.

Yeah, I'll just bet they're titanium.    Like the "Rolex" I bought in Singapore for $50.   ;)

• Like 2

Here's an example of a "game worn Nike mask" on ebay.    The listing purports to be authentic, with a nice looking 'authentication' tag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phillies-Carlos-Ruiz-Game-Worn-Used-Catchers-Helmet-Face-Mask-Nike-Titanium-/292086293973?hash=item4401b325d5:g:mJ8AAOSw32lYpQSo

So if you look up the number at this site:  https://www.mlb.com/authentication

Here's what you get when you enter JB065340:   https://www.mlb.com/authentication/certificate?type=MLB&hologramId=JB065340

Which yields this information:

Team Issued Catcher Gear

Hologram number JB065340

mlb logo
EVENTS
Event
Phillies End of Season Authentication
Date
Oct 19, 2015
Additional Information
Forehead portion of catchers mask

(bold emphasis mine)

So - would you part with $850 for what is 'authentically' described as the "Forehead portion of a catchers mask", when the ebay seller describes it as this:

"Phillies Carlos Ruiz Game Worn Used Catchers Helmet Face Mask Nike Titanium"  ??

PS:   I sent the seller an inquiry with a specific question about the MLB Authentication describing it as "Forehead portion of catchers mask".

I will update when (if) I hear from the seller.

24 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Here's an example of a "game worn Nike mask" on ebay.    The listing purports to be authentic, with a nice looking 'authentication' tag.

So if you look up the number at this site:  https://www.mlb.com/authentication

Here's what you get when you enter JB065340:   https://www.mlb.com/authentication/certificate?type=MLB&hologramId=JB065340

Which yields this information:

Team Issued Catcher Gear

Hologram number JB065340

mlb logo
EVENTS
Event
Phillies End of Season Authentication
Date
Oct 19, 2015
Additional Information
Forehead portion of catchers mask

(bold emphasis mine)

So - would you part with $850 for what is 'authentically' described as the "Forehead portion of a catchers mask", when the ebay seller describes it as this:

"Phillies Carlos Ruiz Game Worn Used Catchers Helmet Face Mask Nike Titanium"  ??

What in God's name is the "forehead portion" of a catchers mask? Did the Phillies cut up his rig when he signed with Seattle?

Just now, BT_Blue said:

What in God's name is the "forehead portion" of a catchers mask? Did the Phillies cut up his rig when he signed with Seattle?

Note that the upper pad is labeled with an (alleged) hologram.    (Consider that a hologram can be pulled off a $24 MLB ballcap and applied to anything that you want).   

Is this item legit as advertised?   I don't know.   But with an asking price of $850, let's just say I'm just a tad skeptical.  

Ok... So what you are saying is that, at the very least, the upper pad once belonged to former Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz.

And yes, $850 is a stupid amount of money to be asking for this mask. Now if it was Big Baller brand... That would make sense.

• Like 3

Here's the answer given:

"There are holograms on the various pieces--mask, strap, pads etc. no idea why mlb did it so many times on this masks. 

The mask was worn by Ruiz and is a very light weight titanium one."

<_<

6 hours ago, jkumpire said:

Gentlemen,

Sorry to interrupt your evening after a long day of umpiring, but I have a question about the holy grail of masks, the Nike Titanium. I am interested in purchasing one. 

An umpire who said he 'just bought this mask on ebay a week ago'  said the mask did not fit his face so he is selling it. Since he said he had Team Wendy's in the frame it seems legit.  So, I have to ask, is the Nike small as masks go? If you are comfortable with a Wilson Titanium will you be comfortable with a Nike? Is it more round that a Wilson, is it a regular frame or is it a 'new view' type frame?

I have not seen any threads on this aspect of the Nike so I thought I would ask, if this has already been discussed, my apologies.

If I were to have one gripe about mine, it's where the harness attaches to the sides of the mask. There is a lot of play up and down, much more so than the Wilson Titanium. Others have had the same issue, prompting at least a couple that we have seen to use zip ties to hold the sides of the harness in place. It's a solution I suppose, but not very aesthetically pleasing, IMO. I keep adjusting my harness to find the right fit, and I think I found it, But to be honest, my Wilson Titanium (standard view) is always my "go to" rig. It's been a great mask for five years now, had had some shots, and contrary to popular belief, has not been bent. For overall performance, looks, cost, and for me, durability, the Wilson Ti is an outstanding mask. 

18 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Here's the answer given:

"There are holograms on the various pieces--mask, strap, pads etc. no idea why mlb did it so many times on this masks. 

The mask was worn by Ruiz and is a very light weight titanium one."

<_<

And yet, the most important part of the whole thing (the cage) has not authentication marking.

8 hours ago, jkumpire said:

Gentlemen,

Also, if its the one with the royal blue pads, I'm very skeptical that it's actually a Nike. It appears to have the crimped corners on the ear guards which mean that its a steal mask and likely one of the Adidas copycats that have been around lately. I could be wrong, but I think it's not a titanium. I would welcome somebody else taking a look at it and telling me I'm wrong though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

And yet, the most important part of the whole thing (the cage) has not authentication marking.

Actually, there is. ... each piece has a separate hologram with a specific number, though the one on the cage isn't legible.   That's why the one number that I searched came up as "forehead portion".

Also,  the pads are red (Phillies), and none of the weld joints appear to be crimped.    It may well be legit, but $850 to "Buy it Now'?   Not me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kylejt said:

@kylejt you are probably correct. I would think Nike is paying about that if not less for their mask frames. Chinese manufacturing is notorious for taking their American customer designs and reproducing them under a Chinese label and selling them. If any of you are into guitars, then you have heard of "Chibson" guitars, "Chinese Gibsons" made illegally of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midtnump said:

@kylejt you are probably correct. I would think Nike is paying about that if not less for their mask frames. Chinese manufacturing is notorious for taking their American customer designs and reproducing them under a Chinese label and selling them. If any of you are into guitars, then you have heard of "Chibson" guitars, "Chinese Gibsons" made illegally of course. 

My first mandolin was a "Kentucky".  

Yep, made in PRC.  <_<

• Like 1

8 hours ago, midtnump said:

I've got a bunch of guitars, and have played some Chibson's recently. I really like them as wall art, but  the one's I've tried are not very playable unless you strip them of their hardware, and rebuild around the wood. Then there's the whole ethical issue..........

Look, I'm not saying that off-shore, fake masks have hit our shores yet, I'm just saying beware.

One more thing, I'm sure that every mask on the market right now is being made in China. Hell, the Nike be may made in the same factory as the All Star and Wilson, just coming out different doors. But I'd like to think that the BIG names would ask for more quality control and testing.

I'll have to look at the tag on mine. Will have to look. But I think I remember it being either China or Vietnam.

16 hours ago, kylejt said:

I've got a bunch of guitars, and have played some Chibson's recently. I really like them as wall art, but  the one's I've tried are not very playable unless you strip them of their hardware, and rebuild around the wood. Then there's the whole ethical issue..........

Look, I'm not saying that off-shore, fake masks have hit our shores yet, I'm just saying beware.

One more thing, I'm sure that every mask on the market right now is being made in China. Hell, the Nike be may made in the same factory as the All Star and Wilson, just coming out different doors. But I'd like to think that the BIG names would ask for more quality control and testing.

Definately the QC is the issue. When American companies pay for it and demand it its there, You are right about the Chibsons, if you go that route prepare for a refretting and all new electronics. I recently started playing after my youngest son got into it. Just picked up a great used Gibson LP, absolutely love the growl in it. 

Boy... this post went sideways!

17 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I'll have to look at the tag on mine. Will have to look. But I think I remember it being either China or Vietnam.

By the way..  I check it out. Thailand.

Thank you for all the information, I appreciate it.