Going back to my roots

White47
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2504 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I've got pulled into helping at the rec league fields that I umpired at when I was in HS to volunteer for a benefit tournament for a young boy with cancer. The tournaments going to run off USSSA rules. It's been 10+ years since I've even worked something under grouse rules. Minus pitching rules are there any modifications I need to know. It's is just OBR modified right? Figure I'd ask you guys; not sure I'll have time to look them up before the games start tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask if Slash/bunt is outlawed.  On all small diamonds, it should be an immediate dead ball, an out, and a team warning if a player fake bunts then takes a full cut (regardless of whether they ultimately make contact).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VolUmp said:

Ask if Slash/bunt is outlawed.  On all small diamonds, it should be an immediate dead ball, an out, and a team warning if a player fake bunts then takes a full cut (regardless of whether they ultimately make contact).

Uh no. Voted down almost every year in the LL congress. 

14 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Uh no. Voted down almost every year in the LL congress. 

Who said anything about LL?  He's prepping for USSSA per the OP.

Most tournaments I do that are 12u insert a NO SLASH BUNT rule if it's not already in the rules book.

It's an extremely dangerous tactic until they go to 90'

26 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

Who said anything about LL?  He's prepping for USSSA per the OP.

Most tournaments I do that are 12u insert a NO SLASH BUNT rule if it's not already in the rules book.

It's an extremely dangerous tactic until they go to 90'

It might be dangerous if coaches send their corners in too far but what are you gonna  do about F1 who is always 40 some odd feet away on any pitch. 

24 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

It might be dangerous if coaches send their corners in too far but what are you gonna  do about F1 who is always 40 some odd feet away on any pitch. 

I don't understand the question.

The boys at that age aren't savvy enough to realize they can get a line shot in the head from 25 feet away if they get faked out.

They're really good at the suicide squeeze too, until the kid who thinks he has a hit & run sign takes a full cut and his teammate is sprinting in from 3B.

11 hours ago, VolUmp said:

It's not illegal in LL rules and making it it illegal has been voted down many times.

9 hours ago, VolUmp said:

I don't understand the question.

The boys at that age aren't savvy enough to realize they can get a line shot in the head from 25 feet away if they get faked out.

They're really good at the suicide squeeze too, until the kid who thinks he has a hit & run sign takes a full cut and his teammate is sprinting in from 3B.

The players would be savvy enough if properly coached.

You can't suicide squeeze in most small diamond (60') ball because leaving before the ball is hit is illegal.

37 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

The players would be savvy enough if properly coached.

You can't suicide squeeze in most small diamond (60') ball because leaving before the ball is hit is illegal.

The OP is referring to USSSA. 

5 minutes ago, StrikeToWin said:

Maybe I have missed it but in USSSA rules is a slash/bunt not allowed?

I didn't notice it the there modifications, however, I didn't go threw and read it word for word. I just kinda skimmed it looking for anything that stood out. I think that slash bunt is something individual fields can make a rule against if they felt it was unsafe.

Kyle,

Fake Bunt and Slash/Bunt are not to be communicated as the same play. 

In every tournament that Dis-Allows the slash/bunt, the mere "fake" bunt is perfectly acceptable, and creates no danger.  The slash/bunt play is very dangerous on a small diamond (12u and below).

17 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

Kyle,

Fake Bunt and Slash/Bunt are not to be communicated as the same play. 

In every tournament that Dis-Allows the slash/bunt, the mere "fake" bunt is perfectly acceptable, and creates no danger.  The slash/bunt play is very dangerous on a small diamond (12u and below).

Just to make sure I understand...

I'm saying they put the bat out front like they're going to bunt while the pitcher is in his windup. Then just before he throws, the batter pulls the bat back and then gives it a full swing. Right? I see that fairly frequently. It seems to be a tactic not to entice the fielders in, but to disconcert the pitcher (though the former could certainly happen, too).

15 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Just to make sure I understand...

I'm saying they put the bat out front like they're going to bunt while the pitcher is in his windup. Then just before he throws, the batter pulls the bat back and then gives it a full swing. Right? I see that fairly frequently. It seems to be a tactic not to entice the fielders in, but to disconcert the pitcher (though the former could certainly happen, too).

Yes, that's the play.  There can be different opinions on whether it should be allowed at a certain age level /skill level -- but, as you point out, it is frequently allowed (and, at least when I did that level, relatively rarely disallowed -- and I recognize that was a long time ago).

It's hard for me to tell whether certain statements in this thread are wrong, or are just being read wrong (e.g.,  being read as if they state a fact and not as if they are stating an opinion)