Wind-up Pick off

Guest Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2526 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Mike

R1 Pitcher engages rubber in wind up position.  Pitcher then steps directly to first and throws to first without 1st disengaging from the rubber.  Is this a balk?

15 hours ago, isired said:

Here's a Q - if a RHP starts his wind up by stepping back and towards first with his left foot, can he then rotate his torso, point his toe to first and throw to first?

You don't need to point your toe. You just need to step toward the base.

28 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

I think the " turn" in the MLBUM interp would not allow this but you are welcome to try that move in the real world. You are also welcome to argue it in this venue. Have you used a backwards step from the windup and pick successfully?

22 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I think the " turn" in the MLBUM interp would not allow this but you are welcome to try that move in the real world. You are also welcome to argue it in this venue. Have you used a backwards step from the windup and pick successfully?

WTF are you talking about?  I can turn my body without moving my feet at all.  All I said was you don't have to point your toe, just step to the base. CC got even got an interp from PBUC that said you can step heel first. NOTHING in the rules says anything other than step - including the MLBUM. If stepping means pointing your toe than there have been millions of disengagements that were balks  because the pitcher didn't point his toe when stepping back off the rubber.

12 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

WTF are you talking about?  I can turn my body without moving my feet at all.  All I said was you don't have to point your toe, just step to the base. CC got even got an interp from PBUC that said you can step heel first. NOTHING in the rules says anything other than step - including the MLBUM. If stepping means pointing your toe than there have been millions of disengagements that were balks  because the pitcher didn't point his toe when stepping back off the rubber.

I'm talking about your response to @isired who as I envisioned, asked if a windup pitcher could step back toward the base he was not facing, depending on his stance, and then turn and pick off. So are you saying a windup pitcher can take a backwards step and the turn and pick or do you just have a semantic issue with @isired post?

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that he had to, I was just trying to paint the picture.

I think the discussion over semantics in this thread alone leads me to believe that the poster above who mentioned that it could get called a balk anyway is 100% correct in advising his players of that.

23 hours ago, isired said:

He still has to move his left foot back or completely/perfectly side-step - if he makes what would be the natural motion to throw directly, I would think his left foot (RHP) might move forward, even slightly, before moving towards first.

I agree with you that it probably isn't going to work, due to  the fact I have never seen it attempted. but let me point out that he doesn't have to step "directly" (as defined by Websters) to first he just has to be inside the 45 degree angle extending from not pivot foot (baseball definition of directly). (NCAA 9-1A-6)

I agree with you that it probably isn't going to work, due to  the fact I have never seen it attempted. but let me point out that he doesn't have to step "directly" (as defined by Websters) to first he just has to be inside the 45 degree angle extending from not pivot foot (baseball definition of directly). (NCAA 9-1A-6)
Yes, agreed, someone noted that above as well. I think one umpires "direct" may differ from another's, so again I think that the poster who stated you run the risk of getting balked anyway is correct.