Register or Sign In to remove these ads
White47

Team warnings

White47    52

So a few weeks ago I was at a school that in notorious for unsportsmanlike behavior Towards the visiting team(its nothing overly bad, there just cocky pricks). About half way threw I issued my team warning, I actual issued it to both teams but that not really important. Later in the game I had a pitcher hit a batter, now it was 100% unintentional IMO, but that leads me to my question.

Had I felt that it was on purpose, and EJ the kid would the coach go too, or for that to apply would I have need to issue a throwing at batters warning also or would the unsportsmanlike warning suffice?

I can't find this in rule book anywhere. In practice I think I would lean towards just dumping kid and leaving the coach. Especially with the team I'm speaking of. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
BrianC14    422

If I found it necessary to give a team warning, and then the HBP was, in my judgment, intentional, then F1 and head coach are both history.

Stk004    599

When a batter is hit by the pitch and you think it could be intentional, you have three options. 

1. Issue warnings

2. Eject the pitcher

3. Eject the pitcher and the manager 

If you're positive that it's intentional, we are instructed to at least eject the pitcher. If you aren't positive that it's intentional, warnings are (hopefully) effective. Now, if you've already issued warnings, you'll probably have to resort to ejection(s).

MidAmUmp    1,726

A warning for bench jockeying (I'm assuming that's what you meant about unsportsmanlike warning) is not the same as a warning for throwing. 

• Like 3

johnnyg08    1,498

Remember these things get messy fast. Almost any time there is an ejection somebody is already pissed, now you run the pitcher, head coach will be fuming (even if you're right). Why? Because your decision to EJ for throwing at a batter is 100% judgment...you truly don't know for 100% unless F1 or F2 literally told you what was going to happen. Look how this stuff plays out in MLB.  I'm not saying your decision is right or wrong...but it's going to go sideways fast. 

• Like 1

White47    52
A warning for bench jockeying only goes to the offending team. 

591d785629685_ScreenShot2017-05-18at5_32_21AM.jpg.aba97faf7a7a31d1715176573d6ef342.jpg

Both teams were being jack wagons so I just hit them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyg08    1,498
10 hours ago, White47 said:

So a few weeks ago I was at a school that in notorious for unsportsmanlike behavior Towards the visiting team. About half why threw I issued my team warning, I actual issued it to both teams but that not really important.

That's not what you said in your original post. But that's fine. 

White47    52
2 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

That's not what you said in your original post. But that's fine. 

I  just left that part out, it wasn't super relevant to my actual question. Which was for the coach to go too, does there need to be a separate throwing at batter warning or would the other warning be enough, by rule. Without knowing the official rule (which i can find nor can get a consensus from other umps), I would say that it wouldn't be appropriate in this situation because 1)they weren't doing anything overly bad just lots of little stuff, really being just cocky little pricks, 2) both coaches seemed to be helping us keep thing relative calm and 3) I still feel we(my partner and I) had all the control. I was just wondering what the rules said about team warnings and EJs in OP.

Also, I would never do it unless I was a hundred percent sure, and honestly I'm not sure how to be 100% sure in this instants so I'm not sure if It would happen anyway, it was really just a thought. I guess I would just have to trust my Judgment and read the situation its probably a know it when you see it type thing. Thanks though. 

Apparently I can't proof read either.sorry for the blunder of spelling errors in OP. 

White47    52
7 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

A warning for bench jockeying (I'm assuming that's what you meant about unsportsmanlike warning) is not the same as a warning for throwing. 

That's what I though, Just looking for some conformation. Thanks

BrianC14    422
4 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

A warning for bench jockeying only goes to the offending team. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 5.32.21 AM.jpg

What publication is this from?  Thanks. 

White47    52
2 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

NCAA-pg 57 and 58 of this years book. 

• Like 2

noumpere    2,412
2 minutes ago, Panther32 said:

Sorry to hijack, but are there rules pertaining to bench jockeying in other codes?

FED:

g. commit any unsportsmanlike act to include, but not limited to, 1. use of words or actions to incite or attempt to incite spectators demonstrations, 2. use of profanity, intimidation tactics, remarks reflecting unfavorably upon any other person, or taunting or baiting. The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting that is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under circumstances including race, religion, gender or national origin. 3. use of any language intended to intimidate, 4. behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play; 5. being in live ball territory (excluding team's bullpen area) during the opponent's infield practice prior to the start of the game. 6. any member of the coaching staff who was not the head coach (or designee) in 3-2-4 leaving the vicinity of the dugout or coaching box to dispute a judgment call by an umpire. 7. Confronting or directing unsportsmanlike conduct to the umpires after the game has concluded and until the umpires have departed the game site.

There's also this interp: SITUATION 12: The visiting team has developed an orchestrated team action to cheer on a teammate to get a rally going. The action consists of a rhythmic series of hand claps and foot stomps. RULING: As long as the action is within the spirit of fair play, and not intended to induce a balk, create a distraction for the opposing team or intimidate/demean them, this action is acceptable. There have been some instances where a team, for example, begins to pound bats in the dugout only when the opposing pitcher begins to deliver a pitch. That action is clearly intended to gain an advantage and is not to be allowed. (3-3-1)

White47    52
43 minutes ago, Panther32 said:

Sorry to hijack, but are there rules pertaining to bench jockeying in other codes?

try FED; 3-3-1 and OBR 6.04

That should get you close I think, But unless Im mistaken Bench Jocking as a term is only in NCAA

johnnyg08    1,498
On 5/18/2017 at 10:11 AM, BrianC14 said:

Can't tell if that's a joke or serious.