Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Guest East side coach

In our out of the game?

Question

Guest East side coach   
Guest East side coach

Was watching a high school game two days ago and saw the following.  Batter is hit by pitch. Pretty good shot in the shoulder blade. He's met at first by coaches and after a brief discussion the batter/runner goes to the dugout. Coach informs ump that a pinch runner is coming in. Pinch runner comes in and is standing on first. Then, original batter/runner comes out of the dugout and say he can continue. It's allowed, but my thought was. The pinch runner entered the game and the original batter/runner should not be allowed to come back in.  No real harm I guess and neither side raised a big stink about it, but it made me realize I don't know the rules on this issue as well as I would like. 

5 answers to this question

noumpere    2,412

The sub enters the game when the PU changes the lineup card and notifies the other team.  And, some game management *might* allow some leeway in this (given the circumstances).

And, if the original runner was a starter, he can re-enter.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
beerguy55    180

I believe it would depend on whether or not the coach actually verbally told the PU "Smith is going in for Johnson" or "7 in, 5 out" or something like that.  To my knowledge the ump isn't going to assume the change even if it looks evident.

And then, after that, it would depend on whether or not the umpire updated the lineup card and announced the change.

And then, even if it was charged as a valid substitution, the batter could be re-entered.

MadMax    1,215

I realize that @noumpere has the correct, by the crackle-of-the-code application here, but he also (properly) introduces a caveat to this, covered in the realm of game management. If this an actual sanctioned Varsity High School game, and you the umpire convey to the DT bench that a substitute runner is being inserted, then that "seals" it. If the starter wants to resume his place on base, then he re-enters for his sub, and his sub is done (poor kid). Only a real harda$$ coaching staff is going to raise a stink over something like this, if in fact it has been reported and recorded already. Provided the ball hasn't been made Live yet, though, there are pretty easy, logical ways to rectify all this – just be affable and direct, and if you haven't conveyed the substitution to the DT bench, then just send the potential substitute back to the bench and put the miraculously healed starter back where he was on 1B, no harm done. If this is a sub-varsity game, or a tournament game being played under Fed rules, then just accommodate this sort of thing without batting an eyelash.

Get everything sorted out while the ball is Dead, ask for the umpteenth time as to if the plunkee is okay, put the F1 on the bump, get a batter in the box, and call "Play!".

Jimurray    542
3 hours ago, MadMax said:

I realize that @noumpere has the correct, by the crackle-of-the-code application here, but he also (properly) introduces a caveat to this, covered in the realm of game management. If this an actual sanctioned Varsity High School game, and you the umpire convey to the DT bench that a substitute runner is being inserted, then that "seals" it. If the starter wants to resume his place on base, then he re-enters for his sub, and his sub is done (poor kid). Only a real harda$$ coaching staff is going to raise a stink over something like this, if in fact it has been reported and recorded already. Provided the ball hasn't been made Live yet, though, there are pretty easy, logical ways to rectify all this – just be affable and direct, and if you haven't conveyed the substitution to the DT bench, then just send the potential substitute back to the bench and put the miraculously healed starter back where he was on 1B, no harm done. If this is a sub-varsity game, or a tournament game being played under Fed rules, then just accommodate this sort of thing without batting an eyelash.

Get everything sorted out while the ball is Dead, ask for the umpteenth time as to if the plunkee is okay, put the F1 on the bump, get a batter in the box, and call "Play!".

Live ball is not a criteria for recorded and announced subs. 

noumpere    2,412
12 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Live ball is not a criteria for recorded and announced subs. 

Correct by rule.  But, it's a good demarcation point for any possible game-management adjustment.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this