Jump to content

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
humanbackstop19

Distant Slot?

Recommended Posts


Register or Sign In to remove these ads
MadMax    1,215

I know we have a shortage of umpires to cover all the games, but come. on. dude. If I was a UIC or Trainer/Mentor in this guy's league or tournament, I wouldn't let him do this. Nothing good – for the game participants, nor this umpire, nor umpires in general – comes from this sort of positioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maven    3,880
48 minutes ago, MadMax said:

If I was a UIC or Trainer/Mentor in this guy's league or tournament, I wouldn't let him do this.

His head IS a little low...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMax    1,215
57 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Wow - how does he even call the right half of the plate?!?! There's no way he can see anything but inside corner.

I have a hunch he can see both corners, or whichever one the catcher's body isn't blocking. This guy isn't in any sort of slot. He's centered on the plate.

He must be incredibly immobile or absolutely mortified about getting hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stkjock    272

funny that you post this, we had a game last week, the position shown in the picture was exactly where PU was set up nearly the entire game.  I wanted to post about it, but chose not to, so this is timely for me.

 

now in his defense, the F2s in the game were not strong players, mostly due to inexperience.  However, it frustrated me to no end, that and his calling a play at the plate from pretty much that same position, instead of rotating to to 3BLX and working back toward the infield as I've learned here.  IMHO, he totally missed the call, hard to see the foot under the tag from that spot with F2 in the way.

 

So as a coach can anyone suggest if one sees a umpire set up like that what to do or say to get him to adjust his positioning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Panther32    22
9 minutes ago, stkjock said:

funny that you post this, we had a game last week, the position shown in the picture was exactly where PU was set up nearly the entire game.  I wanted to post about it, but chose not to, so this is timely for me.

 

now in his defense, the F2s in the game were not strong players, mostly due to inexperience.  However, it frustrated me to no end, that and his calling a play at the plate from pretty much that same position, instead of rotating to to 3BLX and working back toward the infield as I've learned here.  IMHO, he totally missed the call, hard to see the foot under the tag from that spot with F2 in the way.

 

So as a coach can anyone suggest if one sees a umpire set up like that what to do or say to get him to adjust his positioning?

The real mystery is how this guy was assigned a playoff game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CJK    80

I know a guy who got reprimanded for "harassment" last year because he said something to a player that I don't think anybody in their right mind could consider inappropriate.  A coach who was mad about a call in the game reported embellished the "misconduct," and the league followed the money to its decision to discipline him.

I could imagine him coming back after that situation and calling games from this position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aging_Arbiter    612
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, humanbackstop19 said:

This was a HS district playoff game in Iowa a few years back.

I know , I know....... a little late to the party.  Just saw this post, and holy one eyed back scratchin buffalo bisquits

@humanbackstop19 Since I feel safe in saying that this was probably all over social media in your area, has this <dare I say it> positioning improved? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I know , I know....... a little late to the party.  Just saw this post, and holy one eyed back scratchin buffalo bisquits

@humanbackstop19 Since I feel safe in saying that this was probably all over social media in your area, has this <dare I say it> positioning improved? 

 

Since this time, he has improved slightly.  Now, he looks straight over the top and wears the balloon, LOL.  And, unfortunately, yes, he still gets postseason assignments.  This particular individual also works the bases entirely in the "B" when in the middle, regardless of situation.  I share my frustrations @Panther32 that in Iowa, unless we're within 30 miles of Des Moines, we don't get any type of formal evaluation, for better or worse.  It's the good 'ol boy system at its best when it comes to postseason around these parts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Panther32    22
28 minutes ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Since this time, he has improved slightly.  Now, he looks straight over the top and wears the balloon, LOL.  And, unfortunately, yes, he still gets postseason assignments.  This particular individual also works the bases entirely in the "B" when in the middle, regardless of situation.  I share my frustrations @Panther32 that in Iowa, unless we're within 30 miles of Des Moines, we don't get any type of formal evaluation, for better or worse.  It's the good 'ol boy system at its best when it comes to postseason around these parts.  

Had to drive 8 hours out of my way for any type of formal instruction. The MAUC was well worth it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
On 5/17/2017 at 0:08 PM, wolfe_man said:

Wow - how does he even call the right half of the plate?!?! There's no way he can see anything but inside corner.

Right half?   From that distance he can't even see the FRONT half.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×