Distant Slot?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2491 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know we have a shortage of umpires to cover all the games, but come. on. dude. If I was a UIC or Trainer/Mentor in this guy's league or tournament, I wouldn't let him do this. Nothing good – for the game participants, nor this umpire, nor umpires in general – comes from this sort of positioning.

57 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Wow - how does he even call the right half of the plate?!?! There's no way he can see anything but inside corner.

I have a hunch he can see both corners, or whichever one the catcher's body isn't blocking. This guy isn't in any sort of slot. He's centered on the plate.

He must be incredibly immobile or absolutely mortified about getting hit.

funny that you post this, we had a game last week, the position shown in the picture was exactly where PU was set up nearly the entire game.  I wanted to post about it, but chose not to, so this is timely for me.

now in his defense, the F2s in the game were not strong players, mostly due to inexperience.  However, it frustrated me to no end, that and his calling a play at the plate from pretty much that same position, instead of rotating to to 3BLX and working back toward the infield as I've learned here.  IMHO, he totally missed the call, hard to see the foot under the tag from that spot with F2 in the way.

So as a coach can anyone suggest if one sees a umpire set up like that what to do or say to get him to adjust his positioning?

9 minutes ago, stkjock said:

funny that you post this, we had a game last week, the position shown in the picture was exactly where PU was set up nearly the entire game.  I wanted to post about it, but chose not to, so this is timely for me.

now in his defense, the F2s in the game were not strong players, mostly due to inexperience.  However, it frustrated me to no end, that and his calling a play at the plate from pretty much that same position, instead of rotating to to 3BLX and working back toward the infield as I've learned here.  IMHO, he totally missed the call, hard to see the foot under the tag from that spot with F2 in the way.

So as a coach can anyone suggest if one sees a umpire set up like that what to do or say to get him to adjust his positioning?

The real mystery is how this guy was assigned a playoff game.

• Like 2

I know a guy who got reprimanded for "harassment" last year because he said something to a player that I don't think anybody in their right mind could consider inappropriate.  A coach who was mad about a call in the game reported embellished the "misconduct," and the league followed the money to its decision to discipline him.

I could imagine him coming back after that situation and calling games from this position.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, humanbackstop19 said:

This was a HS district playoff game in Iowa a few years back.

I know , I know....... a little late to the party.  Just saw this post, and holy one eyed back scratchin buffalo bisquits

@humanbackstop19 Since I feel safe in saying that this was probably all over social media in your area, has this <dare I say it> positioning improved? 

35 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I know , I know....... a little late to the party.  Just saw this post, and holy one eyed back scratchin buffalo bisquits

@humanbackstop19 Since I feel safe in saying that this was probably all over social media in your area, has this <dare I say it> positioning improved? 

Since this time, he has improved slightly.  Now, he looks straight over the top and wears the balloon, LOL.  And, unfortunately, yes, he still gets postseason assignments.  This particular individual also works the bases entirely in the "B" when in the middle, regardless of situation.  I share my frustrations @Panther32 that in Iowa, unless we're within 30 miles of Des Moines, we don't get any type of formal evaluation, for better or worse.  It's the good 'ol boy system at its best when it comes to postseason around these parts.  

28 minutes ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Since this time, he has improved slightly.  Now, he looks straight over the top and wears the balloon, LOL.  And, unfortunately, yes, he still gets postseason assignments.  This particular individual also works the bases entirely in the "B" when in the middle, regardless of situation.  I share my frustrations @Panther32 that in Iowa, unless we're within 30 miles of Des Moines, we don't get any type of formal evaluation, for better or worse.  It's the good 'ol boy system at its best when it comes to postseason around these parts.  

Had to drive 8 hours out of my way for any type of formal instruction. The MAUC was well worth it though.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:08 PM, wolfe_man said:

Wow - how does he even call the right half of the plate?!?! There's no way he can see anything but inside corner.

Right half?   From that distance he can't even see the FRONT half.   

• Like 1