PU with Out-Safe call late in Sox-Angels game

udbrky
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2506 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

5 hours ago, udbrky said:

I guess it happens even to professionals!

Professionals aren't perfect. They're just much, much better than us.

Two mechanics points jump out to me. First, timing. PU had it in mind that the ball was going to beat the runner (which it might have done), and was anticipating the out. We (at every level) want to anticipate the play — which puts us in the right place looking at the right thing — but not anticipate the call.

Second, I don't like taking this play on a knee. Pros can make better calls than I standing on their heads; I want to be on my feet and prepared to work the wedge as this play develops. I can see someone pinning himself to the ground if he has an issue with happy feet, but in general I don't teach this mechanic.

• Like 3

Timing, timing, timing and more timing. PU was entirely too quick. It's the same principle at work when we go to call a strike too quickly, then pretend to scratch our chest instead. Slooooow down. Someone here said that the faster the action, the slower our timing should be.

Also, we are all professionals on the field. Whether we are paid or volunteer, professionalism should be top of mind when we're out there.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2017 at 5:16 AM, maven said:

Professionals aren't perfect. They're just much, much better than us.

Two mechanics points jump out to me. First, timing. PU had it in mind that the ball was going to beat the runner (which it might have done), and was anticipating the out. We (at every level) want to anticipate the play — which puts us in the right place looking at the right thing — but not anticipate the call.

Second, I don't like taking this play on a knee. Pros can make better calls than I standing on their heads; I want to be on my feet and prepared to work the wedge as this play develops. I can see someone pinning himself to the ground if he has an issue with happy feet, but in general I don't teach this mechanic.

That's where his real problems began, the way I see it.   He's anchored himself to that spot, then has to lean over and ends up looking through the catcher at the critical moment.  A good lesson of what not to do.

It's comical how both players jump up and tell their respective dugouts "Appeal it !  "

Never meant that we aren't Pro, I meant the MLB guys. I know they're not perfect. 

This play is a great opportunity for us to learn. I've had good discussions with guys about where it went wrong and how to best take it.

1 hour ago, udbrky said:

This play is a great opportunity for us to learn. I've had good discussions with guys about where it went wrong and how to best take it.

Every game, I like to pick a couple of things to work on. Positioning for plays at the plate is ALWAYS on my list. I wish we had them more often, but they're too infrequent for my liking.

• Like 2