Batter

Guest Brad
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2528 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

11 answers to this question

Did the batter allow the pitch to hit him? As in, was it such a slow roller that the batter clearly could have gotten out of the way but clearly, consciously chose to let it hit him? If so, keep him at the plate and add a ball to the count. In pretty much any other situation, as long as the batter doesn't swing at the ball, the batter goes to 1B.

In other words, there isn't anything magical or different about the ball hitting the ground. It's just a pitch that hit a batter. Judge and rule accordingly.

It doesn't matter that the pitch hit the ground other than it can't be called a strike (might still be a strike if swing and miss). Most likely it is batter hit by pitch and awarded first base.

Guest Harry Doyle

Is there a rule that a ball in the dirt can't be called a strike, or just that umpires generally won't call it? E.g. a loopy curve ball crosses at the knees and gets blocked or picked by the catcher, who maybe set up a bit too deep in the catchers box.

it's a rule 

OBR - 5.05

(3) If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a “ball.” If such a pitch touches the batter, he shall be awarded first base. If the batter swings at such a pitch after two strikes, the ball cannot be caught, for the purposes of Rule 5.05(b) and 5.09(a)(3). (Rule 2.00 (Ball) Comment)

6 minutes ago, stkjock said:

it's a rule 

OBR - 5.05

I think Harry was talking about a pitch that bounces behind the plate. If that the case it can be called a strike if It crosses through the zone. But at higher levels i will not give that. I'm not going to call a pitch a strike that the catcher butchers. Its his job to make me look good.:D At younger levels get a strike where ever you can. 

• Like 1

Just now, White47 said:

I think Harry was talking about a pitch that bounces behind the plate. If that the case it can be called a strike if It crosses through the zone. But at higher levels i will not give that. I'm not going to call a pitch a strike that the catcher butchers. Its his job to make me look good.:D At younger levels get a strike where ever you can. 

OOPS, reading owned me, I didn't read through the entire post, my mistake.  Thanks

16 minutes ago, Guest Harry Doyle said:

Is there a rule that a ball in the dirt can't be called a strike, or just that umpires generally won't call it? E.g. a loopy curve ball crosses at the knees and gets blocked or picked by the catcher, who maybe set up a bit too deep in the catchers box.

This is a totally different thing, if I understand correctly. If the ball passes through the strike zone on the fly and then hits the dirt it would (should) be a called strike. 

The OP concerns a pitch which bounces and then passes through the strike zone. This cannot be a called strike.

In both cases, if it is strike 3, it would be a D3K.