Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlutgen0

When is too late?

6 posts in this topic

Had the plate for a game last night (fifth grade game) and had this situation that I feel like I should have handled differently. Catcher had been relatively close to the plate the whole game and I kept reminding myself to listen for possible interference. Batter fouls one towards the dugout and I immediately thought it sounded like he may have gotten the glove, but there was no reaction by any of the players and I didn't ear anything from the coaches, so I dismissed it. After going to retrieve the ball, the catcher is squatting giving signs and I hear him say, "stupid glove, don't hit the bat. " I just let the comment go. Should I have gone ahead and grabbed the interference even though it was at least a minute after the play, because at this point I know it would have been the right call, or do you just let it go? Could I have done anything differently? 

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

My rule is don't call what you didn't see (or hear).  

You had nothing until you heard catcher say something odd - you still have nothing as kids at that age might just be acting goofy. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, jlutgen0 said:

After going to retrieve the ball, the catcher is squatting giving signs and I hear him say, "stupid glove, don't hit the bat. " I just let the comment go. Should I have gone ahead and grabbed the interference even though it was at least a minute after the play, because at this point I know it would have been the right call, or do you just let it go? Could I have done anything differently? 

I know this isn't what you asked, but here's a great example of the point made in another thread about how to speed up the game.

(And, I agree -- it's too late to penalize this infraction.)

2 hours ago, jlutgen0 said:

Catcher had been relatively close to the plate the whole game and I kept reminding myself to listen for possible interference.

At this level be a  preventive official and have the catcher move back, especially, as stated in OP, he was close all game. You don't have to have him move much, just enough as to be out of harms way.  No one wants a kid to get a broken arm.

But, Yeah, Don't call it that late.

7 minutes ago, jlutgen0 said:

I'd been telling him every half inning to make sure he isn't getting too close. 

Well, then he has nobody to blame but himself. I'd let the coach know, too, since he can spend some more time with F2 in teaching him the finer points.

1 person likes this